LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Nice move. Did you pick up the one with Gold Lion and Psvane tubes? Speaking from experience, the TRP is definitely an upgrade on the DS. Depending on your sound preferences, tube rolling can become awfully important in rounding out the purchase. If it's of interest, you'll save a lot of time and energy on tubes going straight for a pair of Tesla EL51's, mentioned in the past two or three pages of this thread. It becomes a different dac with those. The Czech source is on vacation right now, but should be back very soon.

Reactions: ihmeyers and Golum

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
The seller included Siemens EL34 with a GEC U52 rectifier. He also threw in one pair of current production Gold Lion KT66 and old stock Raytheon JSN-1641 with adapter. I am all ears when it comes to suggestions on tube rolling. I was initially concerned that most of their dacs aren't r2r anymore but the posters here have convinced me that engine 53 is at least as good.

Did you have the PS Audio DSD? I'm hoping the GA produces good deep bass because while the Tonians don't have much, I have a pair of Hansen Audio Prince in my main system that I want to try the GA with as well.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Ah, a different TRP than I noticed on HiFi Shark. You must quite a stellar primary system. Yes, I had a PWD that became a DSD until early this year (actually two, one for my desktop PC which was sold a couple of years ago). The GEC U52 is a very good recti, though I found it a little "neutral/dry" for my tastes -- and one's tastes are a big thing in picking tubes. I will say, though, that with Tesla's the TRP will be hard to keep out of the other system, unless you have something way up the dac stratosphere there. With them, I'm using a USAF 596 rectifier (with adapter) on Golum's suggestion, and it's a mighty combo.

Reactions: ihmeyers and Golum

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
I just bought a one-year-old GA TRP from an Audiomart seller, so I guess I am about to see what the fun is all about.
Congrats on picking that up. I saw it listed and suspected someone would jump on it quickly. I've had my Atlantic TRP for a few weeks now and this thread really helped me hone in on a great tube combo - Psvane ACME rectifier and a pair of NOS GEC KT-66's. Also tried a pair of new production GL KT-77's which sounded remarkably good for the money but the KT-66's have given the soundstage a 3D presentation and made it much larger. The Psvane rectifier added some nice weight and the perfect amount of saturation. The TRP is definitely a fun component ;-)

Reactions: christoph

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
re the tube rolling...Is any bias adjustment required or are they all just plug and play?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
plug and play

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Hi Ian,

I’m glad you jumped into TRP ship and I’m more then certain it will provide you many hours of enjoyment as well as fun with the countless possibilites with tube rolling;).
Tube set you got with it is good/great, so maybe get used to this combo and then see which direction you want to move the needle to.
Ebay listing you posted is ok but the price seems a bit off - try to check a bit more amd patiemce is important in this tube rolling sport :D.
Tube wise suggestions - you have tons here with the character of their performance explained, so I’m sure you can cherry pick the one you believe will lead you to the result you want to achieve.
Enjoy the game and don’t get too crazy with the tubes (you get easily carried away:D).
Cheers,
G
PS Kind of normal price point i would say:
Original GEC KT66 Röhren (2 Stück)
https://ricardo.ch/en/a/1097625846
PPS Watch out as it may happen this dac wil finish in the main rig;)

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Thank you very much Golum. Of the tubes that came with my GA, which would you try first?

I have been recommended to try the Takatsuki TA-274B. Not cheap but the seller of the Lampi said it's the best one he used in it. Any opinions?

Thanks all.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

ronfint

Oct 29, 2012
Michigan
users.math.msu.edu
Nice move. Did you pick up the one with Gold Lion and Psvane tubes? Speaking from experience, the TRP is definitely an upgrade on the DS. Depending on your sound preferences, tube rolling can become awfully important in rounding out the purchase. If it's of interest, you'll save a lot of time and energy on tubes going straight for a pair of Tesla EL51's, mentioned in the past two or three pages of this thread. It becomes a different dac with those. The Czech source is on vacation right now, but should be back very soon.

Is it kosher to ask for the contact information for this source? I recently bought a pair of Philips EL51 at a good price, but one of the tubes was faulty.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I have been recommended to try the Takatsuki TA-274B. Not cheap but the seller of the Lampi said it's the best one he used in it. Any opinions?
The Taka 274b is my favorite recti but I have to admit that I haven't heard the GZ480 yet.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Thank you very much Golum. Of the tubes that came with my GA, which would you try first?

Thanks all.

You’re very welcome! Lampi is a huge family so actually no need to thank - helping/advising other Lampi owners is kind of normal thing:D.
Start with Siemens and U52 and later try 1641 (baby 596).
Leter on think about maybe PSVane T2 (can’t remember the model 6..7 something and shoot for Tesla el51 (you need adapter for this one).
Recti wise Taka is awesome but for price point is just no go for me so rather take ACME274b which is great. GZ480 is a killer but unobtainable now.
But as i said - take it easy above all and enjoy.

Cheers,
G

Reactions: ihmeyers

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
I just bought the following tubes from the seller to go with what he included:

Takatsuki 274B
Fivre 6L6G (pr)
Psvane 6CA7-Tll (pr)

He gave me what I thought was a very fair price. It seems like I should have enough to start rolling. I'd like to pick up a pair of GEC KT66s once all this hurricane nonsense is done in South Florida. :rolleyes:

Reactions: christoph and Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Seems to me you’re almost done...
BTW what is feeding the DAC?

Reactions: ihmeyers

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Seems to me you’re almost done...
BTW what is feeding the DAC?

In this system a Lumin T-2. The goal is to combine my two systems when I move. I've also got a PS Audio transport I like for redbook that's in another room with my Hansens driven by a kick-ass Maker audio SS amp and a NAT Audio preamp (that has moved into this set-up for now). I still need to get a dedicated ROON server so I can migrate from my desktop PC. According to my wife I have been very bad over this summer in terms of buying equipment (Wall Monoblocks, Lampizator, Audio Note cables, tubes) and guitars (I don't play but I collect autographed ones and have about 30 of them) I will wait until end of year.

My system isn't state-of-the-art like some, but I think it's musical and probably better sounding than 99.9% of what the average person (not necessarily audiophiles) has in their home. I am happy with it. Wife OTOH, who played piano and cello all through high school swears she doesn't hear much difference between our system and mass-market audio. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph and Golum

HungarianPal

Jul 18, 2020
Hungary
My Atlantic TRP came with Shuguang El34B output tubes and Svetlana 5C3S recti. Only one week old. I listen to it every day and I love the sound. I want to buy spare tubes and I am confused with all the different Psvane 274B rectifier versions.
There is the ACME balloon. Seems to be the most expensive
Then there is the smoked glass Treasure version (seems to be the cheapest one)
And then there is the WE274B blue box version priced between the two.
I may already have the answer to my question but I would like to ask for the opinion of those who heard them: is there (much) audible difference?
Thanks.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Tubes you got with it are ok but not above Ok. To release the full potential of your toy from the tubes and not to break the bank get ACME recti and Treasure II 6ac7 or something like that. And you are kind of done

Reactions: HungarianPal

HungarianPal

Jul 18, 2020
Hungary
Tubes you got with it are ok but not above Ok. To release the full potential of your toy from the tubes and not to break the bank get ACME recti and Treasure II 6ac7 or something like that. And you are kind of done
Thanks.
I am planning to get a pair of the Psvane 6CA7-T MKII when it is back in stock over at the German TubeAmpDoctor store (right now only quads are available). The Acme is twice the price of the WE274B but if you say it is worth it, I will choose Acme.

Reactions: Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Reactions: HungarianPal

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing