LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
May i ask why do you want to push all the way to dsd512? Proved with latest Lampi (yours included) that native pcm/dsd should be the way to go, but ok, I agree should play dsd512.
Can’t remember the settings but first depends on the source linux/win and the amanero fw used in Lampi (check the spec sheet). Secondly try using dop as a way of packing the data send to dac...
Guess other guys might have some more ideas...

Reactions: ihmeyers

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
I don't even know how to check, LOL. I am running ROON on a Windows 10 machine that I know will output DSD512 because the Lumin accepts it (and outputs it when I use the analog out jacks). Now I am using the Lumin only as a music server and sending the digital out via USb to my GA TRP. Would it be something on the Lumin T-2.

Thanks very much.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I don't even know how to check, LOL. I am running ROON on a Windows 10 machine that I know will output DSD512 because the Lumin accepts it (and outputs it when I use the analog out jacks). Now I am using the Lumin only as a music server and sending the digital out via USb to my GA TRP. Would it be something on the Lumin T-2.

Thanks very much.
What does your spec sheet state as your Amanero Firmware?
Your Lumin is the roon endpoint, then?
I almost guess you ordered your TRP stating you have a Windows Server (and therefore got a Windows optimized Amanero Firmware) but are now using tge Lumin as a roon endpoint that uses a Linux OS.
Can you try to hook up your TRP directly to your Windows 10 machine to confirm (or deny) my suspicion?
If I'm right, your TRP should be able to receive DSD512 from your Win10 PC.

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Here is a copy of the spec sheet. I bought this unit from another gentleman. He never used USB and said none of his music was in DSD form.

Golum, are you saying that upscaling 44, 96 or192khz PCM to 384khz won't be as good as native from Roon to Lumin to Lampi?

Thank you both very much.

Attachments

• Resized_20200806_160042.jpeg
    Resized_20200806_160042.jpeg
    336.8 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: christoph

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I’m saying that based on experiance of many (me included) i don’t see a particular reason for upsampling as both PCM and DSD in Lampi are exceptionally good so give it a try in native form and later upsample and check for yourself.
Tech sheet looking i have a feeling that it was set for Linux. Check on the web amanero fw 2006be10 for which OS it was optimized and which sample rates it should play.
Anyhow no worries - we’ll get you going;).
Ping @Al Rainbow he’s the master for this stuff..

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
May i ask why do you want to push all the way to dsd512? Proved with latest Lampi (yours included) that native pcm/dsd should be the way to go, but ok, I agree should play dsd512.
Can’t remember the settings but first depends on the source linux/win and the amanero fw used in Lampi (check the spec sheet). Secondly try using dop as a way of packing the data send to dac...
Guess other guys might have some more ideas...

Golum, per your observation about native vs upscaled, I tried it both ways, I thought there were some pros and cons to both. I thought the sound stage was wider and deeper upscaled but everything was more raw and natural sounding native. For now, I think I prefer native.

Reactions: Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
That is what i was talking about.
Still, would like that you can push it to 512 if needed, so lets try to see whats going on..

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
That is what i was talking about.
Still, would like that you can push it to 512 if needed, so lets try to see whats going on..

Upscaled was still PCM. Right now it won't render anything above DSD128 but it will do PCM 384.

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
FTA Callisto cable was finally delievered today. WOW. Everything people said it would be. Even in this sub-optimal room the Lampi GA/Callisto throws a huge, deep soundstage with analog like see-through SQ.

I know in the real world, $1000 for a USB cable is not "cheap" per se, but I'm curious in learning how much more you'd have to spend to get something better.

Reactions: christoph

HungarianPal

Jul 18, 2020
Hungary
Hello again,

Can anyone comment on the Psvane COSSOR 274b tube? So many variants of the 274b by Psvane...

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Does anyone have an opinion an optimum volume setting on SE Lampi running it into a preamp (NAT Audio Magnetic)?

Thanks in advance.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I don’t think there is universally adopted value for that but i guess you should start with -12/13dB and go up to -5/6dB....

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
I may have missed it buried deep in this thread but has anyone compared the new production Genalex KT66's to the NOS GEC KT66's? I'm using a pair of the GEC's and absolutely love them but they are so expensive so I was looking for an alternative for those periods of "not-so-critical" listening. Right now I'm using new production GL KT77's for more or less background music periods but I've been curious as to whether the new KT66's come closer to the GEC's than the KT77's.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I believe you shod get those PSvane 6..7 tII as by many those are top top performers and not that expensive as GEC Kt66

Reactions: Ed_K

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
I believe you shod get those PSvane 6..7 tII as by many those are top top performers and not that expensive as GEC Kt66
I did want to try the Psvane 6CA7 TII but noticed that Grant Fidelity is only selling singles. Are there any other good sources? TubeAmpDoctor is out of stock. The Chinese vendors give me pause....

Reactions: Ed_K

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Guess you’re in the States? In Europe you have Tubeamp Doctor store and Banzai music in Germany which i used and they are super reliable..

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Just hit the ebay then i would say

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
Just hit the ebay then i would say
Thanks. I will take a look there. I also sent a note to Banzai to see if they are currently shipping to the US. They seem to have the tubes in stock and the price is reasonable.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing