LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
The we274b by ps vane is a good recti but not at the level of the acme
what is best for me is the gz480 but seems to be sold out for now. i OAN all of these tubes except the acme. I do own taks and the acme is close to them. I also own nos western electric 274b. for me best is the large metal one
Note on the ps vane tubes all of there tubes require a long burn in over 30 hours min. the 6ac ones sound horrible for many hours filled with odd sounds. don’t change anything in your setup until after min 30 or 50 hours. I know it seems excessive but it’s very true. of your current setup is tipped up on the high side a USA 596 is a good tube to try as well.

HungarianPal

Jul 18, 2020
Hungary
The we274b by ps vane is a good recti but not at the level of the acme
what is best for me is the gz480 but seems to be sold out for now. i OAN all of these tubes except the acme. I do own taks and the acme is close to them. I also own nos western electric 274b. for me best is the large metal one
Note on the ps vane tubes all of there tubes require a long burn in over 30 hours min. the 6ac ones sound horrible for many hours filled with odd sounds. don’t change anything in your setup until after min 30 or 50 hours. I know it seems excessive but it’s very true. of your current setup is tipped up on the high side a USA 596 is a good tube to try as well.
Shuguang gz480: There is a supplier from China on ebay. The price is around the same as the Psvane Acme 274b. I would prefer not to import from China. EU supplier would be better.
Thank you both for your thoughts.

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019
I'd just get the Psvane ACME 274B. I was using a KR 5U4G previously and found the Psvane a big upgrade. I'm using it with NOS GEC KT66's and am probably done with tube rolling for the moment as the sound is frankly amazing.

My next step is to think about the USB cable and then my server. My current USB cable is a Phasure Lush, given the numerous great reviews on here I'll probably try an FTA Callisto next. For servers I'm reading up as much as possible but can't make my mind up. My current one, a Fidelizer Nimitra, was a big step up from the modified Mac Mini I used before. Having experienced the Nimitra I'd probably prefer to stay with a Windows 10 box but other than that I'm struggling.

David Whistance

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Having experienced the Nimitra I'd probably prefer to stay with a Windows 10 box but other than that I'm struggling.

David Whistance
Hi David;

I'm glad you enjoy Acme in combo with GEC KT66 as it does sound great.
Server wise if you are in Win boat and if living in UK you might seriously explore LDMS servers (to demo one) as they are Win based (win 16 server) and they perform amazingly.

Cheers;
G

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
I'll probably try an FTA Callisto next. For servers I'm reading up as much as possible but can't make my mind up.

David Whistance

I just bought an FTA Callisto from Audiomart based upon the great reviews. Should have been here Thrusday but US postal service stinks now because of COVID/job cuts. I need to do something server wise as well. I run ROON off my windows desktop PC which isn't optimal SQ-wise. I've looked at a ROON server from USA Tube Audio, but haven't pulled trigger yet. I always hope for something to turn up in used marketplace because I hate to pay retail unless I have to. I got the GA TRP for $6500 which I thought was pretty good.[/QUOTE]

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I’ve been procrastinating about selling some of the tubes I’ve accumulated during the past year that are no longer needed. Given the discussion, I’ll mention a pair of GEC KT66’s and a GEC U52, both with many years of life ahead of them. Message me for details.

Ed_K

Oct 27, 2019
Greer, SC USA
Thanks.
I am planning to get a pair of the Psvane 6CA7-T MKII when it is back in stock over at the German TubeAmpDoctor store (right now only quads are available). The Acme is twice the price of the WE274B but if you say it is worth it, I will choose Acme.
The Psvane’s are a nice option. With my TRP and associated system I’m between two combinations, the 6CA7 T2’s with Acme 274B and the Gold Lion KT77’s with my KR 5U4G RK. For some reason and with my setup, I lose soundstage width and depth when the 274b is with the KT77’s. When RK is with the 6CA7’s, bass is good but lose high frequency clarity and extension. Just my opinion. Still waiting to find a GZ480 and Tak (at reasonable $’s). Cheers, Ed

Reactions: christoph

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
I’ve been procrastinating about selling some of the tubes I’ve accumulated during the past year that are no longer needed. Given the discussion, I’ll mention a pair of GEC KT66’s and a GEC U52, both with many years of life ahead of them. Message me for details.

Having just purchased a nice pair of GEC KT66's from Highstream I have probably acquired more tubes than I will ever use for the Lampi and I don't even have the unit yet. My pennance with the Mrs. is she gets to buy a new handbag. She has as many of those as I do tubes and they can run as much as a Lampi :rolleyes:

Meanwhile my FTA Callisto cable seems to have been lost by USPS...

Reactions: christoph

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
USPS tracking is shaky these days.

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Since the Trump appointed postmaster general has been in charge it's awful. Has nothing to do with my politics, the guy has eliminated overtime for a company that is dramatically understaffed. He basically told them if you're in the middle of your sorting for the day and your day is over just put it down and leave. No overtime, leave it until another day. Priority Mail now takes 5 days or more instead of the stated 2-3. I just sold a couple of wires and paid $35 to UPS instead of $15 to the post office because USPS sucks so bad these days.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. My name is Pal and I'm from Hungary. (I noticed the typo in my user name only after I registered and I couldn't change it).
I gained lots pf i formation from this thread so I wNted to say thank you to everyone.
Today I received my refurbished Atlantic TRP from the Lampizator factory and I when I got it up and running I was floored. This is the first time I have heard a Lampizator DAC. I bought it blind on the spur of the raving reviews.
While I was waiting for my order to be shipped and delivered, I was listening to my MARANTZ SA14S1 SE CD/SACD player (it can be used as a DAC too) and honestly, I could not imagine that the sound I was hearing could be bettered. NO WAY, I said. How? My system is modest but sounds great (MARANTZ PM8005 driving a pair of Dynaudio Excite X18 speakers and a Dynavoice T12 Thunder closed active sub).
And today after letting some time for the supplied tubes to warm up, I pressed play ('Companion' by Patricia Barber - DSD rip of the Mo-Fi SACD) and I understood what the expression 'as if you were there' meant...
Lots of things to listen to during the weekend.
One question: when do you know that the tubes have been worn out and need replacing?
Have you tried reaching out to the admins to see if they can fix your username? It may be possible. Welcome to the forum though.

Reactions: HungarianPal

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Lampi got here today. :D I will be very happy when the new tubes and my Callisto cable arrive (if they arrive...BIG problems with USPS these days). See below. It is a terrible room (my office). Way too small but planning on moving spring of 2021 and then my two systems can have their own dedicated room. Cheers to all.

Ian
Resized_20200804_151634.jpeg

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
I'm please with the SQ thus far, even with the limited set of tubes I have. It is far better than my PS Audio DSD which itself is a pretty good DAC.

Can anyone give me guidance on where the best setting for the volume control is? I have been experimenting between -5 to -7 db on the GA. That means the NAT peramp is about halfway for comfortable listening levels. I would imagine to some extent the settings are output tube dependent since different tubes will have different amounts of gain.

Thanks.

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019
Are those Tonian Labs speakers? I have similar drivers (PHY 30's) in my Ocellia's albeit with very different tweeters. What are the amps? Looks like 6C33C tubes? I used to use some Supratek Merlots that used the 6C33C as both drivers and single ended output tubes to produce around 10W. Now I use PSE 2A3's with my Ocellias, never tried the Merlots though they might have worked well.

David Whistance

Reactions: ihmeyers

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Are those Tonian Labs speakers? I have similar drivers (PHY 30's) in my Ocellia's albeit with very different tweeters. What are the amps? Looks like 6C33C tubes? I used to use some Supratek Merlots that used the 6C33C as both drivers and single ended output tubes to produce around 10W. Now I use PSE 2A3's with my Ocellias, never tried the Merlots though they might have worked well.

David Whistance

Yes, those are Tonians Classic 12.1 S speakers with the PHY silver wire drivers. The amps are Wall Audio and do indeed use 6C33s. They put out about 30W which is plenty in here as the Tonians are 96db efficient. The system in my office (photographed) is my 'mellow" SET system. The main system which I am not really using these days is a Maker Reference Amp and Hansen Audio Prince II speakers. When I move I will eventually merge the two systems into a single room.

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019
That's very interesting, my PSE 2A3's are about 6W which I find to be plenty with my Ocellia's (97dB/W), indeed I'm in the process of trying lower powered amps to see whether they sound better. I suspect that SE 2A3 at 3W might be the sweet spot but won't know until I get a chance to try some. My room is 17 x 22 x 9 so not a bad size but I suspect I don't listen particularly loud.

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Quick question for everyone. Does the GA only play DSD thru the USB? That appears to be the case with mine using Roon. Unfortunately all I have now is a coax cable since the USPS frigged up the deliver of my Callisto USB cable.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Yeap only via USB. Coax is limited to PCM only i believe...

Reactions: ihmeyers

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Yeap only via USB. Coax is limited to PCM only i believe...

Looking for help. Just got a USB cable, using ROON. Lampi will not accept DSD512. Won't play anything above DSD128. Here is a picture of the back panel. It states it should render DSD512. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm bummed because I wanted a DAC that accepted DSD512.

Attachments

• 2808112-6ddfb8e8-lampizator-golden-atlantic-trp.jpg
    2808112-6ddfb8e8-lampizator-golden-atlantic-trp.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 10

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Looking for help. Just got a USB cable, using ROON. Lampi will not accept DSD512. Won't play anything above DSD128. Here is a picture of the back panel. It states it should render DSD512. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm bummed because I wanted a DAC that accepted DSD512.
It must be about the USB Amanero firmware.
What OS does your Serve or Endpoint have?
Looks like your using DoP for DSD...

Reactions: ihmeyers and Golum

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing