LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Does anyone know the fuse value on the GA TRP? Has anyone upgraded theirs? I have had very good success in the past using Synergistic fuses. I know it might sound crazy, but we know USB cables matter (even though 'bits are bits', LOL) so why not fuses?

Thanks.
I believe in Pac I’ve put 3A slow blow HiFi Tunning so might be that the same goes into TRP...

Reactions: ihmeyers

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
I just got a pair of NOS GEC KT-66 today. In my setup (Takatsuki 274b), Wall SET amps, NAT Audio preamp, I prefer the Psvane 6CA7s. The GEC was a little too soft for my liking. The Psvane with the Takatsuki rocks. YMMV.
Lloyd at Banzai just confirmed today that they have resumed shipping to the US (w/o a 40 euro FedEx upcharge - now back to USPS for ~7 euro). Just placed an order for the Psvane 6CA7 Tii's. Will be interesting to compare against the NOS GEC KT66. I'm using the Psvane ACME recti.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
While I don’t have the acme from what I hear it’s a good recti. Keep in mind it’s a weighted recti so the. Ps vanes will add air and a more upfront sound. Also presence is added. Now how much you need of this is why you should post when it’s burned in after 50 hours. keep in mind even after 30 hours it still has room for change.
Good luck n enjoy the music

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Based on experience, Lampi NA suggested using 3.15A (small, slow blow) to be safe, tho Lampi says 2A in the States I think. I put SR Oranges in all my gear and they helped a lot. There is a 3-for-2 sale through August. Expect about 250-300 hrs before they achieve stable sound. No need for anything playing; just power cord plugged in and back power switch on is sufficient, so burn in hours pass more quickly. The Orange has some warmth (vs SR Blue) and is more transparent than the more costly Audio Magic Ultimate beeswax, my previous favorite. I haven’t heard the Premier beeswax, as the one I bought used fell apart when I was pulling it to try the other direction. The SR is directional (see instructions) in the sense of the lettering and goes in left to right as I recall (facing the back) I did have one whose label was put on backwards, so it doesn’t hurt to check. The sound difference will be obvious.

One other thing I’ve learned along the way: it’s well known and reported that SR fuses are not made to standard industry spec, so always go at least 25% higher on amperage (I often go a bit more, but I forget what I put in the TRP, probably 3.15A). People have had lots of blown SR fuses at gear’s spec amperage. Also buy new from a dealer with a 30 day return just in case, unless you’re confident about the value needed. Most companies vastly over spec the value needed to account for user situation variables, but one never knows, so it pays to be safe. In a preamp, I had an Orange blow immediately after adding a second pair of ICs for subs. Having a regenerator or possibly power conditioners in front seems to guard against external surges (e.g., lightening), but not against the surge at turning on the component itself.

Last edited:

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
While I don’t have the acme from what I hear it’s a good recti. Keep in mind it’s a weighted recti so the. Ps vanes will add air and a more upfront sound. Also presence is added. Now how much you need of this is why you should post when it’s burned in after 50 hours. keep in mind even after 30 hours it still has room for change.
Good luck n enjoy the music

The Psvane and Shuguang I’ve used needed more towards 250-300 hours to achieve SQ stability.

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
The SR is directional (see instructions) in the sense of the lettering and goes in left to right as I recall. I did have one whose label was put on backwards, so it doesn’t hurt to check. The sound difference will be obvious.

I assume looking at it from the back...

I learned today when checking the value that the fuse drawer doesn't come out (I couldn't get it out) and had to turn the GA over to remove the fuse. I am going to order and Orange fuse today. I liked the Blues. Every so often I'd replace an SR Black with an SR Blue without any difference in SQ.

I have a couple of fast blow 3.15 A SR Blues I could try. I know fast blows are more likely to blow from a quick surge. As long as I have one on hand I might try it though I have a sneaking suspicion the surge at turn on would blow it. Maybe not...

Reactions: christoph

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
A small thin blade screw driver does the trick (yes, looking from the back). Have to unplug the power cord first though. :) Fuses are expensive, so I'd be careful about fast blow, especially with tubes.

Last edited:

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
The Psvane and Shuguang I’ve used needed more towards 250-300 hours to achieve SQ stability.
Can’t say it needs that much but there are tubes nos ones that need that much to burn off tizzy sounds. of tubes are left off for long periods I do feel a few hours before they get good. How do you feel on this. Info is always welcome.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I just got a pair of NOS GEC KT-66 today. In my setup (Takatsuki 274b), Wall SET amps, NAT Audio preamp, I prefer the Psvane 6CA7s. The GEC was a little too soft for my liking. The Psvane with the Takatsuki rocks. YMMV.
Hence my choice for the ACME 274b rectifier to kick the GEC KT66's butt ;)

I also prefer the Psvane 6CA7-II over the GEC KT66 but NOT with the ACME 274b recti :D

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Hello cris hope all is well. I don’t own the acme glad I did not push to get it. how do you feel about the gz480 compared to the tak ? Look forward to your thoughts. Did you get to hear a set of Tesla e51 ? got them too now
Hi Al
All good here, thanks. I hope you are as well!
The ACME 274b is a nice recti to sparkle up the NOS GEC KT66 (or similar) but IME the Taka, the RK and the GZ480 are better and more linear sounding.

You know I love the Taka and was very curious about the GZ480 and I have to say the GZ480 is excellent. They are a little different in their sonic balance but both are outstanding as well as the RK 5u4g is. Depending on the output tubes, one of those 3 rectis delivers always.

How do you like the Tesla EL51?
Unfortunately I got heavy distortions in my TRP with the Teslas :eek:
I was afraid that my pair was faulty but a friend of mine tried them in his TRP and there they obviously sounded excellent.
It looks like I'm the only one where the EL51 does not work... :rolleyes:

Btw. in the Pacific, the GZ480 makes for a nice combo with the Taka 300b ;):cool:

Last edited:

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida

I also prefer the Psvane 6CA7-II over the GEC KT66 but NOT with the ACME 274b recti :D

I forgot I have Brimar 6LG6's on the way. I remembered when I saw the tracking info. I think I have enough for now, especially output tubes :D

Reactions: christoph

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Hi Al
The ACME 274b is a nice recti to sparkle up the NOS GEC KT66 (or similar) but IME the Taka, the RK and the GZ480 are better and more linear sounding.

You know I love the Taka and was very curious about the GZ480 and I have to say the GZ480 is excellent. They are a little different in their sonic balance but both are outstanding as well as the RK 5u4g is. Depending on the output tubes, one of those 3 rectis delivers always.

I was afraid that my pair was faulty but a friend of mine tried them in his TRP and there they obviously sounded excellent.

Btw. in the Pacific, the GZ480 makes for a nice combo with the Taka 300b ;):cool:
I’m very happy with the Tesla’s they for me are a bit more weighted then the 6ca7. A bit more air n forward but to me it’s best attribute is a lower noise floor.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I’m very happy with the Tesla’s they for me are a bit more weighted then the 6ca7. A bit more air n forward but to me it’s best attribute is a lower noise floor.

Thanks for your assessment :cool:

What is your preferred recti for the EL51?
I guess the GZ480, right? ;)

I need to find out why out of all TRPs, only mine doesn't want to play nice with the EL51s :rolleyes:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014

I think Psvane valves are sub par. All they have done is try to copy the best western designs with limited success.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Thanks for your assessment :cool:

What is your preferred recti for the EL51?
I guess the GZ480, right? ;)

I need to find out why out of all TRPs, only mine doesn't want to play nice with the EL51s :rolleyes:
It’s not a gain issue other tubes have a higher gain. do both channels do this ?
Do you have a vol on the trp ?
Have you tried to lower volume on the player

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Hi Al

I'd be careful with the RK5U4G, if that's what you've referring to. They are detailed, transparent and have very good delicacy and articulation, but as so often goes with those characteristics they are for those who's tastes are decidedly on the tonally "neutral" side. No warmth in that tube.

As for the EL51, I like them a lot in the TRP, but they do seem to have the effect of "filling the room" at a lower volume than the KT66's did for sure. Golum's suggestion of pairing them with a 596 has worked really well to give body and a bit of warmth, but not completely changed that character. I'm currently using a late 40's Fivre 5U4G as recti in the associated preamp, and it has the wonderful characteristic of virtually eliminating high end screaching.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Can’t say it needs that much but there are tubes nos ones that need that much to burn off tizzy sounds. of tubes are left off for long periods I do feel a few hours before they get good. How do you feel on this. Info is always welcome.

It's been awhile since I burned in the Psvane and Shuguang's, so can't speak from direct memory. I do agree about NOS and barely used older tubes needing a lot of hours. The occasional crackling along the way can also be scary, but it's part of the process. There's a guy on another forum who 20 years ago posted about putting older tubes in the oven at 120C (215F) for about twelve hours to help the process along -- http://www.r-type.org/articles/art-223.htm (Baking Tips). I haven't dared try it yet.

Reactions: Alrainbow

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing