LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Doing this trick don't forget that lifespan of rectifier tubes in general is massively shorter then output tubes as they work at their 100% non stop while output tubes in all Lampi DACs work at fraction of their capabilities so they'll live a very long and prosperous life ;).
And do not EVER pull out output tubes while DAC is ON - ever.

Wish I’d known about SS rectifiers. From my experience, I’d go a step further in including rectis in not pulling tubes live. In fact, with my Supratek preamp, if I don’t wait at least two or three minutes after pulling the recti, power switch off, it puts out a sound like a large explosion on restart. Scary. I read somewhere recently that for internal tube wear that it’s best to let the tube cool for about five minutes before pulling, but I don’t know if that’s true.

Reactions: ihmeyers

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Yeah, I'm somewhat new to this forum but have been an obsessive/compulsive audiophile since 1978 when I bought an old pair of Dynaco Mk3's and had them modified by a local tech. All the other kids I went to high school with were rocking on boom boxes and I had an old Conrad Johnson preamp, the Dynacos and a small pair of Magneplanars. My family had very little money growing up so I worked since I was 15 to save up money to buy audio gear. As Paul Simon says, still crazy after all these years.

My KR 5U4G RK will be here today. Wonder how it sounds compared to the Tak.
Very much looking fw to hear/read what you have to say!

HungarianPal

Jul 18, 2020
Hungary
Wish I’d known about SS rectifiers. From my experience, I’d go a step further in including rectis in not pulling tubes live. In fact, with my Supratek preamp, if I don’t wait at least two or three minutes after pulling the recti, power switch off, it puts out a sound like a large explosion on restart. Scary. I read somewhere recently that for internal tube wear that it’s best to let the tube cool for about five minutes before pulling, but I don’t know if that’s true.
I've got an OTL tube amp and I know that one is not supposed to roll tubes like crazy. It is not just the tubes that have to cool off but you should wait for the capacitors to fully discharge before pulling out the tubes (and placing in new ones). And that's more than just 2-3 min.

Reactions: christoph

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
Burning in the new Brimars and KR Tube...:p

I am fascinated by tubes, always have been. After 30 years wife has become tolerant of finding one or another in just about every room/drawer in the house. Resized_20200819_164319.jpeg Resized_20200819_164309.jpeg

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Totally understand you!
Those Brimars if not else are the lookers...but once you get el51 all those look like midgets...:cool:

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
It has some truth in physical damage. But if you go slow I feel it’s ok.

rjc1845

Jun 22, 2016
Greater Boston
I’ve been following this thread closely particularly for the tube rolling options. I received my new GA TRP balanced with VC. It was supplied with EML 274 and 5881 (no markings so not sure what brand.I also bought Acme 274 and a quad of current production KT77 and I’m using this combo now.
I’m trying to find a quad of GEC KT66 as I’ve read they are a good match withAcme 274. I must say the Tesla EL51 sounds very interesting but I cant find anywhere and I’m guessing it may be impossible to find a matched quad. Any suggestions for finding these.
The other combo that seems popular is the Tak 274 with Psvane 6CA7 TII which I’ll likely buy and give a try.
any other recommendations from you guys.

Bob

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Nice tubes

VERY early in a sound-off between the KR and Tak rectifiers. KR is brand new, Tak fully broken in.

With just 6 hrs of burn in, KR falls short. Less 3D than the Tak in both soundstage width and height. KR a touch brighter which sounds nice on female vocalists. On classical KR sounds further from the stage than the Tak. You get more of the hall ambience with the Tak at this point. Obviously way too early to tell. This was all with the Psvane output tubes BTW. The Brimars I bought have about 24 hrs of burn-in but still sound not so hot with either the Tak or KR. Maybe they improve, right now they're pretty veiled compared to the Psvanes.

I will update as the tubes break-in assuming I am not boring everyone to death.

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
The other combo that seems popular is the Tak 274 with Psvane 6CA7 TII which I’ll likely buy and give a try.
any other recommendations from you guys.

That's my top choice right now. I'm rolling a bunch of others but that combo is the champ so far in my system.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph and Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
If you ask me the Tesla’s are giant ugly tubes. You must have tiny rod syndrome and making it up on tubes
Finally you got me man :cool::p:p:p

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
VERY early in a sound-off between the KR and Tak rectifiers. KR is brand new, Tak fully broken in.

With just 6 hrs of burn in, KR falls short. Less 3D than the Tak in both soundstage width and height. KR a touch brighter which sounds nice on female vocalists. On classical KR sounds further from the stage than the Tak. You get more of the hall ambience with the Tak at this point. Obviously way too early to tell. This was all with the Psvane output tubes BTW. The Brimars I bought have about 24 hrs of burn-in but still sound not so hot with either the Tak or KR. Maybe they improve, right now they're pretty veiled compared to the Psvanes.

I will update as the tubes break-in assuming I am not boring everyone to death.

I love both, the RK 5u4g as well as the Taka 274b :cool:

From what you are saying about your brand new RK, I would guess it is still far from it's potential and you are in for a much better performance with the RK in the near future ;)

At least I myself am NOT bored by tube experiences. Please keep it coming :D

Reactions: Golum and ihmeyers

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
At your service...

Tesla EL51 + USAF 596.JPG

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing