LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Another buddy got it today...dac+tubes
D157482D-E94C-413E-9D69-93EC2334B5BC.jpeg

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
"It's alive!" :eek: (attempted Frankenstein humor)

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
A match made in heaven. How is the sound?

Gorgeous. It meets my need for a bit of warmth plus and a sense of presence without being overwhelming or edgy. Sometimes the middle starts to get congested as the volume goes up, something that didn't happen with the KT66, in spite of an HDTV in the middle. It could be a number of things, including the Tesla's higher voltage, but I'll start with the NOS pair coming from the other Czech seller, and play around more with the preamp tubes. I'd like to try another modestly warm recti in the pre that's better than the vg Fivre 5U4G, but I'm not sure what that is at the moment. Definitely not a GEC U52 or an RK, and the Shuguang WE274B is good but not up to this set up. I'm also experimenting with 6SN7's in the pre (a pair of CBS/Hytrons about to arrive).

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
VERY early in a sound-off between the KR and Tak rectifiers. KR is brand new, Tak fully broken in.

With just 6 hrs of burn in, KR falls short. Less 3D than the Tak in both soundstage width and height. KR a touch brighter which sounds nice on female vocalists. On classical KR sounds further from the stage than the Tak. You get more of the hall ambience with the Tak at this point. Obviously way too early to tell. This was all with the Psvane output tubes BTW. The Brimars I bought have about 24 hrs of burn-in but still sound not so hot with either the Tak or KR. Maybe they improve, right now they're pretty veiled compared to the Psvanes.

I will update as the tubes break-in assuming I am not boring everyone to death.

About 100 hrs on the KR. Sound hasn't really changed all that much. The combo with the Psvanes is a little bright for my tastes. That combo is not as 3D as the PS/TAK combination. KR still further back in the hall than I would like. Something in between the PS/TAK and PS/KR might be best as PS/TAK a little darker than I prefer. I thought the (Russian) Gold Lion KT66/KR was better than the Psvane/KR. Haven't listened to the Brimars again. They're at ~ 150 hrs now.

Do you think I've gotten all the improvement from the KR I will get or might it need more hours?

My Teslas are on their way from Serbia (should be this week) but I don't how long it will take to get the adapters for them (coming from Hong Kong).

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
About 100 hrs on the KR. Sound hasn't really changed all that much. The combo with the Psvanes is a little bright for my tastes. That combo is not as 3D as the PS/TAK combination.
Do you think I've gotten all the improvement from the KR I will get or might it need more hours?

The RK recti should not be bright, especially not with the Psvanes
I would say the RK is not at it's Maximum Performance capabilites yet.
But even then, I think the Taka-Psvanes Combo is VERY hard to beat in the 3D and palpability, reach around discipline :D

KR still further back in the hall than I would like. Something in between the PS/TAK and PS/KR might be best as PS/TAK a little darker than I prefer. I thought the (Russian) Gold Lion KT66/KR was better than the Psvane/KR. Haven't listened to the Brimars again. They're at ~ 150 hrs now.

The Taka recti pushes the soundstage out to the listener much more than any recti I have heard.
Right between the PS/RK and the PS/Taka would be the Shuguang GZ480.
Not only tonally (a little bit airier and smidgeon less tonal weight than the Taka) but also the presentation is not as much into the room as with the Taka.
If the Brimars start thawing some more, they could be a match for you with the RK, but IME not in the league of the Psvanes.

My Teslas are on their way from Serbia (should be this week) but I don't how long it will take to get the adapters for them (coming from Hong Kong).
So then there is no need to rush things further and buy more tubes ;)
Wait for the EL51 as they might be endgame in the TRP :eek:

In the meatime, give the RK some more hours and switch around with the tubes you already have to find synergetic combos for your taste and System/room :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: ihmeyers and Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Reactions: HungarianPal

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Frankie‘s in the game since yesterday.
Urs buddy thats you right? :cool:
If yes - great -> now you can start posting yours and Fabios discoveries :p and I'm off the duty...

Reactions: ihmeyers

Phon@ix

Jul 27, 2019
ZRH
Urs buddy thats you right? :cool:
If yes - great -> now you can start posting yours and Fabios discoveries :p and I'm off the duty...

Yes, it’s me. However you want Goran.

Think it will be difficult to discover much better tubes. EL51+GZ480 is king; KR 5U4G Anniversary 2018, RVC Marconi 5U4G + EL51 great combos; Acme + EL51 very good combo, Philco + EL51 also very good. I didn’t do an extended test with my new KR 5U4G and Franky. They’re still burning in. Takatsuki 274b wasn’t in the game last weekend.

Here‘s our output tube ranking from last we:
  1. EL51
  2. Psvane Psvane 6CA7-T-MII/2
  3. Shuguang Black Treasure 6CA7-Z (Gold-Gitter)
  4. Genalex Gold Lion KT77

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Frankie‘s in the game since yesterday.

How is FF working for you in your system so far?
FF and I didn't really warm up to eachother :rolleyes:
Welcome here on WBF, Urs :cool:

Last edited:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

Phon@ix

Jul 27, 2019
ZRH
How is FF working for you in your system so far?
FF and I didn't really warm up to eachother :rolleyes:
Welcome here on WBF, Urs :cool:

Thx Christoph! I‘m in here since a while but more as a reading guest than as an active member..

FF works fine, but it’s not burned in yet. Soundstage is definitely smaller than with GZ480, but this Shuguang lamp is next level. What I really like so far is Franky‘s organic timbre. Think it will work very well with acoustic music. Will report more when this tube comes alive...

Cheerz to FL

Last edited:

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
I'm late to the game. Which recti is Fugly Frank?

Thanks. :)

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017

Thanks. I almost bought the one that just sold on eBay. Guy wanted $300 (with Woo adapter), I offered $250. I've bought SO many tubes the past 2 weeks (KR recti, Teslas, Brimar output tubes) I just decided to let it go.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Thanks. I almost bought the one that just sold on eBay. Guy wanted $300 (with Woo adapter), I offered $250. I've bought SO many tubes the past 2 weeks (KR recti, Teslas, Brimar output tubes) I just decided to let it go.

I made the same offer, but then we settled on a few dollars more to cover shipping. Probably overpriced, as I'm not sure the Woo adapter is better than the cheap ones on eBay. Will soon see.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing