LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

In my weekly hunt for the elusive GZ480, I notice that there are 3 sources listing them. These are Mable Audio (waiting for response), Yoycart (not much info) and ECCTECH (sold out). The one thing I have noticed is that on the tube advertised by MableAudio it is imprinted with "Shuguang Electric GZ480". The others have "Shuguang Tube GZ480A". Can anyone comment on the difference if there is one? To those that have them, What do your tubes have on printed on the glass? Lastly, I know @Alrainbow got his from Ecctech. I assume that no supplier has these in stock. So, if someone finds some, please let all of us know. I'll do the same.
Thx to all who contribute and comment. it is fun stuff!
Cheers, Ed

Golum posted awhile back that the GZ480 won’t be available again, presumably made, until next year. Mable Audio shows them on their site, but confirmed that they are unavailable.

LOL. It was you! You wrote (p 53):
“Unfortunately I got heavy distortions in my TRP with the Teslas :eek:
I was afraid that my pair was faulty but a friend of mine tried them in his TRP and there they obviously sounded excellent.
It looks like I'm the only one where the EL51 does not work...”

Ok, technically not a detractor, but “eek” is not exactly an endorsement.

I didn't say the EL51 is shit or bad sounding, I just experienced that my pair (and two others :eek:) did not work in my system and those exact other pairs work in other systems. We did that to trouble shoot and the conclusion is that my system is at fault, not the EL51 tubes/adapters we had at hand.

I'm extremely curious of the EL51 but unfortunately there is a problem in my TRP/system that prevents me from properly use my pair of EL51 whereas the same pair plays flawlessly and wonderfully in two other TRPs/systems.
As soon as I get my pair back, I'm going to try it again and hope that they then will "magically" work in my system :oops: :rolleyes:

What is your experience with the EL51?

I agree that the RK is very transparent and “digs deep.” The thing is I’ve yet to hear a tube or any audio component that I could stand to listen to for long which does that, the RK included. That’s absolute; if there’s a system synergy that can overcome the RK’s “neutralness” — coolness to me — I’ve yet to come across it. The 596 and Fivre have tonalities that are more up my alley, and with them I can work with system synergy. I’m imagining that maybe some $50-100K+ components are designed to bridge the gap in tastes, but I’ve never been so fortunate to hear anything near that range.

Is the Fivre maybe the identical construction as my double mica Haltron?

I’ve written about my experience with the EL51 at least twice in the past few pgs.

FIVRE: Not a lot online about it. Found this on Dubstep Girl’s rectifier thread at head-fi:
FIVRE was the largest all-Italian company, founded in 1932 in Pavia by Magneti Marelli to produce vacuum tubes under Radiotron license. For a while their tube supplies to the parent company, Marelli, were characterized by distinctive violet-glass bulbs. In their ads they evidenced the equivalence of their tubes with those manufactured in the United States by RCA. ‘RCA – FIVRE: From America to Italy, different brands but the same quality’ said an ad from a 1934 magazine.

I made a comment a few pages back about the Kr 5u4g
Compared to the rk white base version. To my observation the rk is better by an obvious chAnge
What tube I felt and this is me is the stock 242 and the rk242
In this case the rk242 is to my observation not better it seems to smooth and vail a bit.

Cris do you have or have you tried the ps vane 6ac611 ?
do you have a volume control on yuur dac ?

Hi Al
I don't know the Psvane 6AC611 but I own and love the Psvane 6CA7-T Mk2.
My TRP is without VC, only my Pacific has VC.

Reactions: Alrainbow
I’ve written about my experience with the EL51 at least twice in the past few pgs.

FIVRE: Not a lot online about it. Found this on Dubstep Girl’s rectifier thread at head-fi:
FIVRE was the largest all-Italian company, founded in 1932 in Pavia by Magneti Marelli to produce vacuum tubes under Radiotron license. For a while their tube supplies to the parent company, Marelli, were characterized by distinctive violet-glass bulbs. In their ads they evidenced the equivalence of their tubes with those manufactured in the United States by RCA. ‘RCA – FIVRE: From America to Italy, different brands but the same quality’ said an ad from a 1934 magazine.
I have a lot of Fivre tubes. I rate them very highly - just beware some of the Italian sellers asking for crazy prices. You can get them for much lower if you hunt around/have patience. I'll be trying the Fivre 6L6 in the TRP if/when I get one, and also in an upcoming Supratek preamp.

Reactions: christoph
Reactions: christoph
Thanks I’m looking into a few to buy. Also has anyone tried the SEIMANS brand el34
Labeled as

Attachments

• DD0F5B68-3783-4A32-BAB7-E30608BD7647.jpeg
    DD0F5B68-3783-4A32-BAB7-E30608BD7647.jpeg
    557.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 67B8B494-7E6E-46F4-A106-510B60106A46.jpeg
    67B8B494-7E6E-46F4-A106-510B60106A46.jpeg
    545.6 KB · Views: 7
Here is a the summary of the TRP tube rolling session we did at my place with David, Fabio and myself mid summer this year. I think it should also be in this Thread.

KR / Brimar 6L6G (NOS): less dynamic than EL 34s, soundstage moves slightly further back, beautiful organic tonality, very smooth, less treble then the RFT but nothing to worry about, good bass quantity which is softer than with the EL 34s, most emotional and touching of the bunch
When you talk of the 6l6G, do you mean the bulb type (coke bottle shape) tube?
There are short tubes with straight tube glass marked 6l6ga, 6l6gb, 6l6gc and 6l6gt. I see these are mainly used in guitar amps.

Thanks I’m looking into a few to buy. Also has anyone tried the SEIMANS brand el34
Labeled as
Possibly made by the East-German RFT plant on order by Siemens for the Western market. Still, they are considered great EL34's. I would like to have a pair too.

At one time Lampi shipped trp and other Dacs I own 10 pairs of them. Cheap and very good. Yes they is better if one feels they are. But as a stick tube very good.

Labeled as
I have some branded by Fivre. Good tubes.

IMG_4847.jpgIMG_4848.jpgIMG_4849.jpg

Yea lols just like them. Some ass I know Hates them lol. Lets see how long for him to pop in

Frog hi..:cool::p

Is it a good idea to get 3 socket savers for the TRP?
I mean that it would elevate the tubes and apparently save the original sockets on the board.
On the other hand I am worried about SQ degradation.

Is it a good idea to get 3 socket savers for the TRP?
I mean that it would elevate the tubes and apparently save the original sockets on the board.
On the other hand I am worried about SQ degradation.

I bought one to save my old Lampi‘s rectifier socket but didn’t use it often. Sound quality lost a bit but not much. My new TRP has rock solid porcelain sockets - problem solved.

Last edited:
Reactions: HungarianPal

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing