LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

Thx Christoph! I‘m in here since a while but more as a reading guest than as an active member..

FF works fine, but it’s not burned in yet. Soundstage is definitely smaller than with GZ480, but this Shuguang lamp is next level. What I really like so far is Franky‘s organic timbre. Think it will work very well with acoustic music. Will report more when this tube comes alive...

Cheerz to FL

Do you like the GZ better than the TAK? I bought the TAK with my Lampi from the seller. He had the GZ too but his comment was the GZ was good but the TAK was better. I guess it's different in every setup.

My KR is nearly broken in (175 hrs). I have to find time to A/B vs the TAK tomorrow but it definitely sounds better than it did early on. It might be a little more romantic (with the Psvanes) than the TAK is. It is certainly less in your face than the TAK. Think 8 or 10th row seat in the hall vs 2 or 3rd row for the TAK. My Telsas seem to be held up in Czech Republic. Much to my surprise I am going to get the adapters from Hong Kong before the Teslas get here. :rolleyes:

Reactions: christoph
Is the KR is very different than the RK? I would find mention of romantic with the latter very odd.

Do you like the GZ better than the TAK? I bought the TAK with my Lampi from the seller. He had the GZ too but his comment was the GZ was good but the TAK was better. I guess it's different in every setup.

My KR is nearly broken in (175 hrs). I have to find time to A/B vs the TAK tomorrow but it definitely sounds better than it did early on. It might be a little more romantic (with the Psvanes) than the TAK is. It is certainly less in your face than the TAK. Think 8 or 10th row seat in the hall vs 2 or 3rd row for the TAK. My Telsas seem to be held up in Czech Republic. Much to my surprise I am going to get the adapters from Hong Kong before the Teslas get here. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say GZ is better than TAK but I like GZ's 3d soundstage and powerful dynamics very much in my system. In price-performance ratio GZ is the winner imho. KR's nearly broken after 175h? Which one do you have? 5U4G or a Lampi RK anniversary edition? I prefer the RK 2018 anniv. to the KR Recties I know (RK 2016 anniv. & 5U4G) and it seems to be undestroyable.

Stay curious to plug in the Teslas.. My Franky's background singers are werewolves.

Last edited:

For me those 2 (as well as the RK 5u4g and the ACME 274b) are absolute top tubes but with slightly different tonality.
It is a matter of taste and synergy with the output tubes and the synergy within the whole system which one suits better and is therefore subjectively preferred.

Which KR recti do you have?
The regular form white ceramic base Lampi anniversary KR 5u4g or the latest "square" glass RK 5u4g?
For me, the RK version is quite a bit better sounding than all the regular form KR 5u4g recties.
The spacial presentation of the Taka recti indeed IS quite forward and intimate, what I really like.

Is the KR is very different than the RK? I would find mention of romantic with the latter very odd.
For me, the RK version is quite a bit better sounding than all the regular form KR 5u4g recties.

Reactions: Ed_K
I wouldn't say GZ is better than TAK but I like GZ's 3d soundstage and powerful dynamics very much in my system. In price-performance ratio GZ is the winner imho.
I absolutely agree.
If one can find one after all :rolleyes:

KR's nearly broken after 175h? Which one do you have? 5U4G or a Lampi RK anniversary edition? I prefer the RK 2018 anniv. to the KR Recties I know (RK 2016 anniv. & 5U4G) and it seems to be undestroyable.
Also full agreement here: the RK version is simply the best sounding KR rectifier IMHO

Stay curious to plug in the Teslas.. My Franky's background singers are werewolves.

Are the EL51 also for you the new queen bees in the TRP?
Can you describe the difference between the EL51 and the Psvane 6CA7-T-MII/2?

I absolutely agree.
If one can find one after all :rolleyes:

Also full agreement here: the RK version is simply the best sounding KR rectifier IMHO

Are the EL51 also for you the new queen bees in the TRP?
Can you describe the difference between the EL51 and the Psvane 6CA7-T-MII/2?

They're definitely the new queen bees, yes. Once putet Werewolves into the output sockets it's difficult to change back to the Psvanes 6CA7-T-MII/2. Psvanes are great tubes and I use 'em in my little Coincident set amp - the WWs would kill this little princess. Compared to Franky's big bros the Psvanes sound a bit leaned back; less dynamic, stage, power, precisission, attack, neutrality and warmer. The Teslas bring the sound into the midle of the room. Everything is bigger and more life like. Difficult to say it in flowery words - think there are other guys around who bring it better on point than me. I would say: While Psvanes are the bang, the WWs are the big gang bang.

Last edited:
In one way I'm glad to see so many latching onto the reality that Tesla have produced some of the best valves on the planet.

In another way I am worried that this Lampi crowd is going to consume the last of the world stocks at this rate!:D

Just tell everyone they are rubbish, keep breaking and sound shite. Then we'll be alright for a while yet!;)

Anyway, I heard KR and Psvane were much better. Didn't you?:D

Seems to me amp guys will remain dry of tubes for their babies if this trend continues - actually haven't seen any el51 nor RD, ad1n on ebay for quite a while now especially not in pairs

Reactions: Zero000
I wouldn't say GZ is better than TAK but I like GZ's 3d soundstage and powerful dynamics very much in my system. In price-performance ratio GZ is the winner imho. KR's nearly broken after 175h? Which one do you have? 5U4G or a Lampi RK anniversary edition? I prefer the RK 2018 anniv. to the KR Recties I know (RK 2016 anniv. & 5U4G) and it seems to be undestroyable.

Broken - In as in reaching peak performance. Sorry for language confusion. The tube I have is the RK Limited Series 5U4G. Bought it new 2 weeks backs for 399 euros.

For me those 2 (as well as the RK 5u4g and the ACME 274b) are absolute top tubes but with slightly different tonality.
It is a matter of taste and synergy with the output tubes and the synergy within the whole system which one suits better and is therefore subjectively preferred.

Which KR recti do you have?
The regular form white ceramic base Lampi anniversary KR 5u4g or the latest "square" glass RK 5u4g?
The spacial presentation of the Taka recti indeed IS quite forward and intimate, what I really like.

It is this one. Maybe romantic isn't the right word but it is less forward than the TAK and is slightly warmer. The TAK with the Psvanes are my current champs but with some recordings the pairing can sound a little shouty in the 500hz-1khz range (female vocalists).

7_5U4G_packshot_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:

But romantic? In absolute terms, no way. I think the RK is an example that speaks starkly to the differences in listening preferences, which can be described in different ways. To my tastes, it’s among the worst I’ve heard, but for another kind of taste, I would highly recommend it. Among the straight 5U4G’s, the best I’ve heard so far is the Fivre, which I use in my Supratek preamp’s PSU, but I know it wouldn’t satisfy the tastes of many others.

Last edited:
It is this one. Maybe romantic isn't the right word but it is less forward than the TAK and is slightly warmer. The TAK with the Psvanes are my current champs but with some recordings the pairing can sound a little shouty in the 500hz-1khz range (female vocalists).

7_5U4G_packshot_1024x1024.jpg

I find the RK to be more transparent than the Taka which to me is more "romantic".
Must be a matter of taste and synergy

Reactions: ihmeyers
But romantic? In absolute terms, no way. I think the RK is an example that speaks starkly to the differences in listening preferences, which can be described in different ways. To my tastes, it’s among the worst I’ve heard, one among those that makes me feel like throwing the system out the window. But for another kind of taste, I would highly recommend it. I think differences in tastes, what turns each of us on in a system, highlights the importance of self awareness in describing a component’s sound, while being careful about making claims about “best.” Even the vaunted EL51, which some of us have found the best we’ve heard so far in the TRP, has had a detractor here.
I wouldn't call the RK 5u4g romantic, IME far from it o_O
The RK is very transparent and let's you dig deep into the music and if the output tubes match, they can make a magical combo :cool:
For me, it all depends on synergies with the system, between the recti and output tubes and personal tastes.
I have several combos I really like. It is maybe like seasoning with cooking :D
When I say I like something better or best, this is ALWAYS my very personal subjective view ;)
Who is the EL51 detractor? What is your take on the EL51?

In my weekly hunt for the elusive GZ480, I notice that there are 3 sources listing them. These are Mable Audio (waiting for response), Yoycart (not much info) and ECCTECH (sold out). The one thing I have noticed is that on the tube advertised by MableAudio it is imprinted with "Shuguang Electric GZ480". The others have "Shuguang Tube GZ480A". Can anyone comment on the difference if there is one? To those that have them, What do your tubes have on printed on the glass? Lastly, I know @Alrainbow got his from Ecctech. I assume that no supplier has these in stock. So, if someone finds some, please let all of us know. I'll do the same.

Personally, I like both my KR 5U4G RK and the Acme 274B. It is clear to me that both have their virtues and this is somewhat dependent on output tubes, genre of music, time of day, quality of electricity, personal mood, the Macallan scotch and phase of the moon :) I probably spend more time listening with the 5U4G RK version. Love its overall presentation but as most of us, curious as to what other recti's can do. Probably will move on the Tak purchase shortly. Anxious to hear what that will bring.

Thx to all who contribute and comment. it is fun stuff!
Cheers, Ed

Seems to me amp guys will remain dry of tubes for their babies if this trend continues - actually haven't seen any el51 nor RD, ad1n on ebay for quite a while now especially not in pairs

And those known to be able to find them probably have a waiting list...

Reactions: Golum
It is clear to me that both have their virtues and this is somewhat dependent on output tubes, genre of music, time of day, quality of electricity, personal mood, the Macallan scotch and phase of the moon :)

Love it and there's such a good degree of truth in there, really;)

Another good point is that blind testing people to identify which of their own valves are in their own DAC in their own system would probably result in a series of epic fails. At least I'd bet good money it would.

Reactions: leftside and Ed_K
Love it and there's such a good degree of truth in there, really;)

Another good point is that blind testing people to identify which of their own valves are in their own DAC in their own system would probably result in a series of epic fails. At least I'd bet good money it would.
Different tubes are fun to try. I do my own fair share of tube rolling, but I find it's not worth getting too hung up on the "latest and greatest" tube discovery that regularly turn up on all the forums I hang out on. The tubes that people have been using and recommending for 70+ years (KT66, 5U4G, GZ34, etc) are still pretty good. I also like hearing about the newly manufactured tubes, as eventually the NOS supply will totally dry up.

Reactions: Zero000
I wouldn't call the RK 5u4g romantic, IME far from it o_O
The RK is very transparent and let's you dig deep into the music and if the output tubes match, they can make a magical combo :cool:
Who is the EL51 detractor? What is your take on the EL51?

LOL. It was you! You wrote (p 53):
“Unfortunately I got heavy distortions in my TRP with the Teslas :eek:
I was afraid that my pair was faulty but a friend of mine tried them in his TRP and there they obviously sounded excellent.
It looks like I'm the only one where the EL51 does not work...”

Ok, technically not a detractor, but “eek” is not exactly an endorsement.

I agree that the RK is very transparent and “digs deep.” The thing is I’ve yet to hear a tube or any audio component that I could stand to listen to for long which does that, the RK included. That’s absolute; if there’s a system synergy that can overcome the RK’s “neutralness” — coolness to me — I’ve yet to come across it. The 596 and Fivre have tonalities that are more up my alley, and with them I can work with system synergy. I’m imagining that maybe some $50-100K+ components are designed to bridge the gap in tastes, but I’ve never been so fortunate to hear anything near that range.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing