LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
You mean the Siemens EL34 that came with the TRP GA?
When the Siemens EL34 have too few hours, I found them lacking in the treble region and congested and not airy.
Only after hundreds of hours they open up :oops:

What recti would you combine with them?
For starters a ss recti till burn in lol. Then a weighted one like 5u4g kron
ps vane took 50 to 70 hours to settle in. the siemans are very good tubes once burned in. Then tune setup for them. Recti , vol adjustment, interconnects

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I will. I'll also see which version they are - probably from the 1970's. After reading Pasquale Rosso book on the EL34, I'm looking for some earlier versions.

Yes EL11 need the EL11 to EL34 adapter. The RFT EL11 has a big bold sound with great mids (like the latter Philips EL34) and a nice touch of warmth. They are usually pretty cheap if picked up in used singles from German eBay. Quite often show up.

The same tubes, but with different bases are KT61, 6P25, 6M6G, EL33 (no adapters required) and EL3N (different adapter required). I'm really liking these Visseaux 6M6G in the TRP as well:

Also keep an eye out for the GEC KT61. Can be picked up for far cheaper than it's bigger brother - the KT66.
Thank you a lot for sharing those informations :cool:

Reactions: findog and leftside

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
For starters a ss recti till burn in lol. Then a weighted one like 5u4g kron
ps vane took 50 to 70 hours to settle in. the siemans are very good tubes once burned in. Then tune setup for them. Recti , vol adjustment, interconnects
You mean the Electronic Industry (EI) tubes :) Siemens were just a rebrander for other manufacturers of EL34. They never actually made an EL34 themselves.

Reactions: christoph

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
Hi guys, I've probably had about 25 listening hours or so on the NOS KT66 (white tubes). I find the bass is a little less than the Tesla EL51s. Does anyone else feel / felt the same? Or is it just that the tubes need more break in time?

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Hi guys, I've probably had about 25 listening hours or so on the NOS KT66 (white tubes). I find the bass is a little less than the Tesla EL51s. Does anyone else feel / felt the same? Or is it just that the tubes need more break in time?
Can you post a picture of the KT66? I’m not sure that you mean by “white” KT66. I like the EL51 and KT66. When you do the comparison just be sure to take into account the higher gain with the EL51. They pack a punch!

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013

I had early 70's NOS GEC KT66's, which I liked a lot. But the difference here with the EL51's both immediately and with time was not a matter of bass, but just about everything, starting with a more multi-sided richness. The KT66's were plain Jane in comparison.

Reactions: perfusionist

HungarianPal

Jul 18, 2020
Hungary
Has anyone tried other makes of EL51 valves (e.g. Philips, Valvo)?
Or is this "magic" an attribute of the Tesla tubes only?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I still think the mid range of the KT66 is fantastic. I wish I could find tubes that combine the power/output and bass of the Tesla EL51s and the mid range of KT66s. Any such thing exists ?? :p
;) quest is still on and several tube types ordered by Zurich team :cool: - so lets see - aim is to overtake Tesla el51

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
What are you finding the difference in midranges between the two to be?

In my set up, along with the Supratek tube preamp, a problem is finding the right combination that allows singers’ voices, especially females, to not sound a bit buried relative to other instruments. I haven’t been able to tell yet to what degree that’s tubes or speaker positioning or room. Some tubes, including rectis, are more forward than others, but is that all it is.

Last edited:

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
Here is a list of a few of my test / demo songs that I use for my comparisons.

I find that the female voices in the KT66 is a little more sweet, forward sounding, captivating and distinguishes itself from the rest of the instruments. The Tesla tubes don't make me feel that way with regards to the voices. Especially "What the world needs now is love" by Stacy Kent in my list down.

1609951064901.png

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Has anyone tried other makes of EL51 valves (e.g. Philips, Valvo)?
Or is this "magic" an attribute of the Tesla tubes only?
I have Philips from the 1950's. Hope to try soon.

Reactions: HungarianPal

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
I still think the mid range of the KT66 is fantastic. I wish I could find tubes that combine the power/output and bass of the Tesla EL51s and the mid range of KT66s. Any such thing exists ?? :p
Give the early EL34 Philips metal base a try if you can find them - they have great mids, but don't have the power/output on the same level as the EL51, but might work for your system. EL39 could be a very good option as I'm really liking these tubes, but they are hard to find and require another adapter.

Or a cheaper option would be some of the EL11/EL12, EL3N, 6M6G, EL33 that I've mentioned in previous posts.

I also have a bunch of tubes not mentioned previously to try like EL50, 4699, 4654 and 4689.

All these tubes mentioned from above including EL34 and EL51 are all ancestors or children of one another, so there is a relationship. KT66 will always be a "top-tier" tube for me - it simply does everything right in my system, but I sure enjoy the ELxx and related tubes as well.

chopchopbin

Sep 27, 2015
Give the early EL34 Philips metal base a try if you can find them - they have great mids, but don't have the power/output on the same level as the EL51, but might work for your system. EL39 could be a very good option as I'm really liking these tubes, but they are hard to find and require another adapter.

Or a cheaper option would be some of the EL11/EL12, EL3N, 6M6G, EL33 that I've mentioned in previous posts.

I also have a bunch of tubes not mentioned previously to try like EL50, 4699, 4654 and 4689.

All these tubes mentioned from above including EL34 and EL51 are all ancestors or children of one another, so there is a relationship. KT66 will always be a "top-tier" tube for me - it simply does everything right in my system, but I sure enjoy the ELxx and related tubes as well.
I have both EL51 and KT66. Paired with the 596 rectifier, I preferred the KT66. YMMV.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Trying to find sellers of the Psvane 6Ca7 TII. Are we pretty much relegated to obtaining them from China?
How about this one?

if not then there is always aliexpress

Reactions: DeadWax

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
How about this one?

if not then there is always aliexpress
Thanks. @gestalt got me hooked up with a pair. Really enjoying them paired with an ACME 274B rectifier.

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
No adapters required. Great tubes - might provide the "middle ground" between the KT66 and EL51 that some are looking for. No guarantees of course :)

Reactions: perfusionist

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing