LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

leftside

Jan 22, 2018

findog

Apr 29, 2019
www.tinyurl.com
I received RFT EL34 tubes from a friend and they are amazing. The synergy really takes off. I thought some of the others tubes were very similar but I definitely hear an improvement with these and the Shuguang GZ 480 rectifier.

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
I received RFT EL34 tubes from a friend and they are amazing. The synergy really takes off. I thought some of the others tubes were very similar but I definitely hear an improvement with these and the Shuguang GZ 480 rectifier.
Would you mind posting pics and I'll help identify them? They made many different variations from 1950 - 1980's.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Nice one.
Are those with the dimple top?

findog

Apr 29, 2019
www.tinyurl.com

findog

Apr 29, 2019
www.tinyurl.com

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Sorry I should have specified - one more pic showing the getters at the top :)

This tube says "RSD". RSD were a West German rebrander of tubes from various manufacturers including RFT from East Germany. Also Russian tubes, and later Chinese tubes. These do look like RFT, although the '91' date code (1991) is throwing me.

Are there 3 or 4 holes on the sides of the plates?

Last edited:
Reactions: cdka and christoph

findog

Apr 29, 2019
www.tinyurl.com
Sorry I should have specified - one more pic showing the getters at the top :)

This tube says "RSD". RSD were a West German rebrander of tubes from various manufacturers including RFT from East Germany. Also Russian tubes, and later Chinese tubes. These do look like RFT, although the '91' date code (1991) is throwing me.

Are there 3 or 4 holes on the sides of the plates? 4
Is this better?

Attachments

• IMG_6493.JPG
    IMG_6493.JPG
    830.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6494.JPG
    IMG_6494.JPG
    718.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6495.JPG
    IMG_6495.JPG
    701.7 KB · Views: 7

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Holes are sometimes a way to identify models or model years, but be aware that correlating the number of holes with sound quality, as often comes up with 6SN7 and its variants, is often false according to those who've actually compared. In the case of the 6SN7's, for example, the three-hole reputation for Sylvania "bad boys" was apparently the result of an eBay seller's posts on a forum or two, in order to drive up prices. Same apparently goes for some claims about round plates being better than flat plates (Tung-Sol)

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Holes are sometimes a way to identify models or model years, but be aware that correlating the number of holes with sound quality, as often comes up with 6SN7 and its variants, is often false according to those who've actually compared. In the case of the 6SN7's, for example, the three-hole reputation for Sylvania "bad boys" was apparently the result of an eBay seller's posts on a forum or two, in order to drive up prices. Same apparently goes for some claims about round plates being better than flat plates (Tung-Sol)
We’re just identifying what the tubes are and hopefully a rough idea of where and when they were made.

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Is this better?
I do believe you have one of the last ever RFT tubes produced. Most guides say they were produced until the late 1980's, but it looks like that one is from 1991. It has exactly the same construction as the 1980's tubes, but with a slightly later 1991 date code.

Reactions: christoph

findog

Apr 29, 2019
www.tinyurl.com
Interesting. Where did you find the code? How did you research it?

leftside

Jan 22, 2018

HungarianPal

Jul 18, 2020
Hungary
I do believe you have one of the last ever RFT tubes produced. Most guides say they were produced until the late 1980's, but it looks like that one is from 1991. It has exactly the same construction as the 1980's tubes, but with a slightly later 1991 date code.

Here you can see RSD El34 tubes with 92 date codes.

Reactions: findog

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Here you can see RSD El34 tubes with 92 date codes.
But remember RSD were a rebrander and didn't actually manufacture tubes. RSD tubes with 1990's date codes are usually Chinese or Russian tubes.

Perhaps RSD had a batch of RFT tubes from the late 80's and added the date codes and RSD branding on the tubes just before selling. Probably too much info for most folks on here who are probably only interesting in how the tubes sound! My apologies for being a history and tube nerd :)

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
No apologies necessary. Important info for tube buying.

What I discovered yesterday was that switching power cords went a long way towards eliminating the deleterious effects I had attributed to the EL51s. I’ve been using a full loom of PS Audio AC-12’s for a few years, but recently picked three used WyWires Palladians to check out, which I’d been told would maintain the modest warmth of the AC-12 while adding greater clarity (they do, both). In playing around with different locations for the WyWires, it wasn’t until they went onto the Oppo, TRP and Supratek preamp yesterday that I hit the jackpot — a smooth, relaxed, balanced sound and more consistently present midrange (e.g., female singers), without the shoutiness or seeming effects of the Tesla’s greater power. It’s a good reminder that the best solution to SQ problems introduced in changing tubes may lie in adjustments elsewhere (synergy).

Follow up: The above was written using a 596 in the TRP and a now burned in Brimar 5RGY in the Chardonnay preamp. I've since received a 1948 Philco 5U4G, which I found (inexpensively) after Dr. Steve Williams, who has his own system thread on these forums (Doctor's Orders-Part Two...), touted the benefits of a 1946 version in his excellent set up. He indicated that it is on warm side, which mine modestly is, as well as having an appealing touch of sweetness. It's now burning (or re-burning) in and has a lot to say for itself, although how smooth is to be seen. Philco tubes were made by Sylvania after the early 1930's, and sometimes had the latter's codes on them, starting around 1950 it seems. However, probably his and mine have the two character Philco code still used in the 1940's, e.g., S8 for some quarter of 1948.

Last edited:

findog

Apr 29, 2019
www.tinyurl.com
But remember RSD were a rebrander and didn't actually manufacture tubes. RSD tubes with 1990's date codes are usually Chinese or Russian tubes.

Perhaps RSD had a batch of RFT tubes from the late 80's and added the date codes and RSD branding on the tubes just before selling. Probably too much info for most folks on here who are probably only interesting in how the tubes sound! My apologies for being a history and tube nerd :)
No, I enjoy the history lesson.

Reactions: leftside

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing