LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
After spending the entire afternoon and evening with my GA R2R, I've decided I'm going to keep it and not swap out the R2R engine for the new S3 engine.
If you can upgrade to the TRP with refund on your GA, I would do it in a heartbeat.
I know and love the GA R2R very well but it is no compare to the TRP to be honest :eek:
Or maybe you can keep your GA for the second System and trade in the Eufora :D
I'm REALLY curious about your Pentode stash for the TRP :eek:
Which ones do you rate above the GEC KT66 and why?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I never said that :rolleyes: but in comparably similar systems...
Do I understand you correctly?
You have heard the Pacific and the TRP in different Systems and that gives you the confidence to question Goran's upgrade wish from his Golden Gate 2 to the Pacific?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Do I understand you correctly?
You have heard the Pacific and the TRP in different Systems and that gives you the confidence to question Goran's upgrade wish from his Golden Gate 2 to the Pacific?
Yes, you understand correctly. And as I said the systems were very similar. Also, if you read what I said it is a question mark as to whether the move to Pacific is worth it over what I heard from the TRP. It was not a definitive statement that it is for sure not worth it...but IMO can be debated... What I heard from Pacific didn’t convince me wrt it’s naturalness...TRP was more convincing.

Reactions: alecm

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Yes, you understand correctly. And as I said the systems were very similar. Also, if you read what I said it is a question mark as to whether the move to Pacific is worth it over what I heard from the TRP. It was not a definitive statement that it is for sure not worth it...but IMO can be debated... What I heard from Pacific didn’t convince me wrt it’s naturalness...TRP was more convincing.

As extremely good as the TRP is, the Pacific is just another considerable step above the TRP ;)

Ask our mutual friend M. He had my TRP for some time while he was waiting for his Pacific to be delivered :D

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
As extremely good as the TRP is, the Pacific is just another considerable step above the TRP ;)

Ask our mutual friend M. He had my TRP for some time while he was waiting for his Pacific to be delivered :D
Well, as you know I prefer Kassandra over Pacific because it sounds more “live”. Yes, Pacific has a bit more resolution in some sense but loses IMO in tone and dynamics. I felt the TRP had very good tone and good resolution and not feeling synthesized...I felt Pacific leaned that way more than other Lampizator DACs I have heard. I know you vehemently disagree...well we can’t agree on everything I guess...;).

Monsterzero

Jul 10, 2019
After spending the entire afternoon and evening with my GA R2R, I've decided I'm going to keep it and not swap out the R2R engine for the new S3 engine.

But, I have an older DSD only Eufora in another room. This has been an amazing bargain ($1100 used), and with JRiver and Roon I can also play PCM with it, but this will be replaced by a standard TRP sometime in the future. I've been following the posts on here and will continue to lurk and occasionally post as I save up the money for a TRP. I have a lot of great tubes for this DAC.

There has been a lot of talk about the GEC KT66. I'm just waiting for someone to also try the GEC KT88, Mullard EL35, Fivre 6L6G, Fivre 6V6G, GEC 6V6G and Mullard 6V6G as these are some of my favorite tubes. If you wait long enough you'll hear my impressions of these tubes with this DAC :)
Get to saving man. I need a tube guru for the TRP;)

Reactions: leftside

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Well, as you know I prefer Kassandra over Pacific because it sounds more “live”. Yes, Pacific has a bit more resolution in some sense but loses IMO in tone and dynamics. I felt the TRP had very good tone and good resolution and not feeling synthesized...I felt Pacific leaned that way more than other Lampizator DACs I have heard. I know you vehemently disagree...well we can’t agree on everything I guess...;).

Let's take this conversation to the appropriate thread ;)
https://whatsbestforum.com/threads/aries-cerat-kassandra-ref-2-vs-lampizator-pacific-dac.28680/

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria

But, I have an older DSD only Eufora in another room. This has been an amazing bargain ($1100 used), and with JRiver and Roon I can also play PCM with it, but this will be replaced by a standard TRP sometime in the future. I've been following the posts on here and will continue to lurk and occasionally post as I save up the money for a TRP. I have a lot of great tubes for this DAC.

There has been a lot of talk about the GEC KT66. I'm just waiting for someone to also try the GEC KT88, Mullard EL35, Fivre 6L6G, Fivre 6V6G, GEC 6V6G and Mullard 6V6G as these are some of my favorite tubes. If you wait long enough you'll hear my impressions of these tubes with this DAC :)

I volunteer to do some tube testing, if you should need some help ;):cool:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Goran has heard them all in his system and other systems too...including one of the first Amber 3.

At chris we did a H2H with GG1.5, Pac, GA and TRP...all in one session. Pac won for all of us.

With Pac and TRP which have Vol Ctl, its possible to make the Dac sound totally SS or totally tube syrupy. You just have to know what you are doing! Nigh infinitley adjustable. You aint seen tweaking and optimizing yet!

Reactions: christoph

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Another one for your arsenal. Pic from Hiendy.com E33B2C0B-A31F-4655-AC99-1B27826522E3.jpeg

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Looks cool and ACME series having a nice praise over the net, might be a tube to consider...but for that $ you can score 596 already which is a confirmed kick a.s recti...;)

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Looks cool and ACME series having a nice praise over the net, might be a tube to consider...but for that $ you can score 596 already which is a confirmed kick a.s recti...;)

I notice Woo Audio are selling 596 for $350 NOS.

What's nice is the supplied adaptor and connecting wires which look fantastic.

Last edited:

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
The recti tube next to the 596 at the Woo Audio site is the Sophia 274B mesh plate, which along with Sophia’s 274B Aqua version have been very highly praised by audio reviewers. There is a catch for both though having to do with the trailing cap’s uf value, although at least the new Aqua version has addressed that. Would someone mind taking a look at the text for the two versions at https://sophiaelectric.com/collections/274b-5u4g and tell me what they think electrically relative to the Atlantic TRP. I mentioned the Sophia tube before, but it hasn’t been considered here and I was wondering if that was just lack of awareness or something more. Thanks,

Shredder

Feb 21, 2017
So, my Atlantic TRP upgrade just arrived. I can't listen tonight as I have tickets for Pfunk in Denver, one of George's last ever shows. I will, however, spend the weekend with it. Very excited, I will let you all know my thoughts.

BTW, my first tube selection will be the Golden Lion KT66.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
The recti tube next to the 596 at the Woo Audio site is the Sophia 274B mesh plate, which along with Sophia’s 274B Aqua version have been very highly praised by audio reviewers. There is a catch for both though having to do with the trailing cap’s uf value, although at least the new Aqua version has addressed that. Would someone mind taking a look at the text for the two versions at https://sophiaelectric.com/collections/274b-5u4g and tell me what they think electrically relative to the Atlantic TRP. I mentioned the Sophia tube before, but it hasn’t been considered here and I was wondering if that was just lack of awareness or something more. Thanks,

Isn't Sophia merely rebranded TJ? That was certainly the case for their 300Bs a while back.

I have two TJ 274B. A Chatham masher is quite a bit better. I roll the TJ in occasionally but it never lasts long. It is pretty, though.

That's in a modded B7.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I've read a lot of info about Sophia and yours is the first suggestion that they don't make their own, or are rebranded anything.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing