LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
I would just call it clear, detailed, spacious, airy...can't really comment on warm/romantic side of things. Hope this helps a bit..
I just received the ACME 274b two days ago and ran it with my GEC NOS KT66 and can agree with @Golum clear, detailed, spacious (!!!), airy (!!) compared to the RK5U4G. I listened to the HighRes version of Jazz at the Pawnshop and cross checked with Stevie Ray. The impression after these first hours is as well that RK5U4G has a little more punch wrt dynamic, but on the other hand the ACME seems to be on the right side.

newbiecapri

Dec 20, 2019
Quick question for GA TRP owners:

a.) does all of them come with the hi and low gain switch @ the back of the unit ? or is it only available for the unit without the volume control ?

Thanks!

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
G as r as I know only if no vol control option I for one would always have a vol control even of not going direct to amps

newbiecapri

Dec 20, 2019
G as r as I know only if no vol control option I for one would always have a vol control even of not going direct to amps

Thank you sir.. That is what I thought, no volume control would have that option, otherwise seems redundant ?
what is the benefit of having a volume control even not going direct to amp ?
although I'm ordering my unit with volume control as I need to run it straight to a power amp.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
A vol control of using an active premap allows better synergy in setting the tonal balance for for your system. So many dacs that have a vol control are obsessed in having it wide open. A fear of losing bits in resolution. This can make a system thinner or brite. using the vol control as I state above allows control of the tone or weight. I hope my ramblings make sense

newbiecapri

Dec 20, 2019
A vol control of using an active premap allows better synergy in setting the tonal balance for for your system. So many dacs that have a vol control are obsessed in having it wide open. A fear of losing bits in resolution. This can make a system thinner or brite. using the vol control as I state above allows control of the tone or weight. I hope my ramblings make sense

Makes a lot sense sir.. My current dac has also volume control but I dont run it direct to a power amp. I use a pre-amp.
I don't set it max volume but around 80%- seems ok.
Ill try playing with it if it makes some tonal shift in balance.. thanks!

Reactions: Golum and Alrainbow

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Al the best in your Lampi endeavor it a dac to grow with.
Enjoy the support of many other Lampi fellows.

Reactions: Golum

newbiecapri

Dec 20, 2019
Al the best in your Lampi endeavor it a dac to grow with.
Enjoy the support of many other Lampi fellows.

Very much looking forward to it... Took me a month to decide back & forth between the Atlantic TRP, GA TRP, BIG 7MK2 , GG2.
This will be my 1st Lampi...
After doing research and talking to several nice fellows ( and a big thank you to you folks and thanks for your super patience) in this forum: Golum, Bonzo, Fred, Sujay, Christophe, AL, Mike Lavigne, EDk, Marty. . All points out to any Lampi dac is great, no bad Lampi dac. Just depends on price point.

Last week it was a toss between the GA TRP2 vs the GG2.
Over the holidays was just tossing back and forth between the two with a lot of email messages and research over the net... Sadly no way to audition any of these....

But after computing the price difference between the two which is roughly EURO8,000.00 wow , quiet a chunk of cash.

The difference Im sure is not night and day but maybe 20-30% the GG2 being more superior.
Well, someday...

The last two days was just finalising and deciding that the GA TRP will be my starting point in the Lampi family.
If I love it so much, I can always get a GG2 or pacific in the future as the GA tRP 2 uses a different tube vs the GG2/Pacific so different flavour.

I have two systems hence I would need two dacs nonetheless.

Thanks for you kind folks out here ! great community and super helpful people!

Cheers.
C

newbiecapri

Dec 20, 2019
On another note; I noticed that when you order one of these DACS it will ask to specify what is your operation system (windows, Mac and Linux).
I use Mac but in most cases I use streamers from Lumin, Aurender and SOTM so will these three devices be plug and play or a software has to be downloaded >> thanks!

newbiecapri

Dec 20, 2019
Anyone here tried this 6L6 variant but Russian made Paano 6n3cE ?

Attachments

• 2533BF61-2F90-4E2C-8B4E-543BC8821C48.jpeg
    2533BF61-2F90-4E2C-8B4E-543BC8821C48.jpeg
    719.2 KB · Views: 1

Monsterzero

Jul 10, 2019
On another note; I noticed that when you order one of these DACS it will ask to specify what is your operation system (windows, Mac and Linux).
I use Mac but in most cases I use streamers from Lumin, Aurender and SOTM so will these three devices be plug and play or a software has to be downloaded >> thanks!
I have the Aurender N100H and I didnt need to download a driver or anything. Simply connect and play.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Question Is asked due to Amanero USB board but with latest FW it should work equally with Linux or Win based systems (not sure about tbh)

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
If your server or endpoint sending the data signal to the Lampi is Windows-based you need a driver. You don’t need a driver for Mac- or Linux-based systems.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I have a win based server (LDMS) and no driver needed

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
That is unusual. What is the operating system? Does the server feed your DAC directly?

newbiecapri

Dec 20, 2019
If your server or endpoint sending the data signal to the Lampi is Windows-based you need a driver. You don’t need a driver for Mac- or Linux-based systems.

Not sure if SOTM SMS200, Lumin U1 and Aurender N10 is windows based or Linux base.
Im just hoping its just a plug and play with no software installation just like my current dacs.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I think they are likely Linux-based.

Reactions: newbiecapri

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Longshot,but has anyone tried Fivre 6L6g in the TRP?
They will sound great. Especially early ones from the 40's ;) On amps I've tried, they have the typical Fivre house sound - which is very clear, revealing, neutral and dynamic/alive.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing