LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
@wisnon & @Alainbow -15 dB leaves the preamp dial at 9:30-10 for medium volume, unless the recording is particularly soft. It's not until the mid 20s -dB that the preamp nears the 12 o'clock position on most recordings. I'm not sure about the PrimaLuna. It's gain is 9.7 db. and nothing is mentioned about passive. The linked write up does say the point of a preamp is to lower the received signal.'s gain. https://www.primaluna-usa.com/dialogue-premium-preamplifier (at the bottom of the text under "Smartgain Design." This is a temporary situation, as next month I should be receiving a Supratek preamp with about 20 db gain. Thanks,

Last edited:

newbiecapri

Dec 20, 2019
I have a berkeley dac reference and I use a pre-amp with it..The max volume it goes is 60 db and I always leave it at 56 or 57 db.. At max levels it becomes brighter sounding.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I'm wondering if solid state and tube dacs differ on this score. Right now things sound better with the TRP lower and the preamp higher, just the opposite of the Directstream.

Sfox7076

Jul 8, 2015
Brooklyn, NY
Do Western 350bs work in these? I don’t know the voltage put on the plates by the TRP. If it takes a regular 6V6 I imagine it would be fine. I may have some of those to sell too. I have moved on from most pentodes.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
@Lee Henley Were those Mullard EL34s the originals or reissue?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Originals and he wont sell those...at least what he told me! XFx series.

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
Reactions: christoph

Sfox7076

Jul 8, 2015
Brooklyn, NY
XF1 and XF2 date codes are the ones to get. They are sought after, but not uncommon. They came in almost every Dynaco ST-70 made. They last forever as well.

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Do Western 350bs work in these? I don’t know the voltage put on the plates by the TRP. If it takes a regular 6V6 I imagine it would be fine. I may have some of those to sell too. I have moved on from most pentodes.
They should work, unless someone knows different? I might be interested in purchasing them.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
They were the originals, quite expensive I believe nowadays's
So Lee, what is your favorite tube combo at the moment and what else did you try?

Reactions: ihmeyers

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
XF1 and XF2 date codes are the ones to get. They are sought after, but not uncommon. They came in almost every Dynaco ST-70 made. They last forever as well.

I have one only...metal base XF0.

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
So Lee, what is your favourite tube combo at the moment and what else did you try?

Hi Christoph

My favourite tube combo to date is the ACME 274B rectifier with the Genelex KT 77 reissues. I have tried quite a few more pentode tubes which have included;

Shuguang EL 34
GEC KT 66 smoked glass -
Mullard EL 34 original
Siemens EL 34
RFT EL 34
EH 6CA7

In all honesty all of the combinations will work but the best bang for buck is the KT77 reissue, these are very easy to get hold of, supplied brand new with a warranty. The NOS tubes can potentially be a bit hit and miss on quality and they can be very expensive to say the least.

If I were to recommend a combo it would be the ACME 274 and Genelex KT77. I do also like the way in which the EH 6CA7 delivers the music, the bass is not as full as the Genelex and the highs are not as sweet but it does deliver quite a punch sound.

Next up I will try the Tungsol 5881 either a NOS pair or the reissue's. I also have a pair of 6V6GT tubes at home but as of yet I've not tried these as Im not sure they are compatible. Anyone no if they will work in the TRP?

Lee

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
Just had confirmation from Lampizator that for TRP owners who want to try the 6V6GT tubes then this is fine, so tonight I will try the pair I have in the TRP and report back

Reactions: Ed_K and christoph

Ed_K

Oct 27, 2019
Greer, SC USA
Hi Christoph

My favourite tube combo to date is the ACME 274B rectifier with the Genelex KT 77 reissues. I have tried quite a few more pentode tubes which have included;

Shuguang EL 34
GEC KT 66 smoked glass -
Mullard EL 34 original
Siemens EL 34
RFT EL 34
EH 6CA7

In all honesty all of the combinations will work but the best bang for buck is the KT77 reissue, these are very easy to get hold of, supplied brand new with a warranty. The NOS tubes can potentially be a bit hit and miss on quality and they can be very expensive to say the least.

If I were to recommend a combo it would be the ACME 274 and Genelex KT77. I do also like the way in which the EH 6CA7 delivers the music, the bass is not as full as the Genelex and the highs are not as sweet but it does deliver quite a punch sound.

Next up I will try the Tungsol 5881 either a NOS pair or the reissue's. I also have a pair of 6V6GT tubes at home but as of yet I've not tried these as Im not sure they are compatible. Anyone no if they will work in the TRP?

Lee

Hi Lee, Just a note to say that I echo your assessment of the 274B/KT-77 combo. The 274B was the first one I purchased after getting my TRP. Then I began trials on the Gold Lion KT 66, 77 and 88's, and also the EL-34 and 6CA7's that came with my TRP. No question the 274B/GL-KT77 is a great combo. But like all of us here, curiosity got the best of me and I ordered the KR 5U4G RK recti. It delivered on Monday and I am still breaking it in. First blush---Big Sound, tad warmer, not nervous like the 274B can be at times. Much better than the 274b when it comes to older rock/pop cd's.

So I kind of like both the 274B and KR RK with the GL KT77's. Depends on my listening preferences of the day. I will see if this changes after 100 - 200 hours of on-time. I may also start playing with some of the special/new production EL34 and 6CA7 variants out there. I'm not that connected here with the used/nos tube suppliers, so I've just decided to stay away for now. So i'm interested in your take on the Tungsol reissues. Thx!

Cheers
Ed

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Hi Ed
I agree with you that I also like both, the ACME 274b and KR RK 5U4G as well :cool:

I listened to the KT77 a few times in my systems and always found them awesome but I don't own a pair. That is about to change as I just ordered a pair of the no-brainer cheap, available and excellent sounding Genalex KT77 Gold Lions :D
I hope to get them soon to compare them with my other lot and with the NOS and new production 5881 I'm currently conditioning for a friend of mine ;)

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
Just had confirmation from Lampizator that for TRP owners who want to try the 6V6GT tubes then this is fine, so tonight I will try the pair I have in the TRP and report back

I ran these tubes last night in my TRP they were RCA smoked glass 6V6GT, my thoughts to these was a very hard sounding tube in my system, they lacked the bass that the KT77 has. I also felt the soundstage was narrower on the width, all in all these did not do very much for me.

I will give them another go at the weekend, Ill let them run in the Dac for a good hour or 2 with some music playing just to get some more hours onto them. Im fairly sure they have been used by my friend who gave them to me to try as he had been using them in his amps prior to me using them

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Hi Ed
I agree with you that I also like both, the ACME 274b and KR RK 5U4G as well :cool:;)

What differences did you hear between those two? I've been using a U50, which has been my favorite so far, and just received an anniversary RK 5U4G, which according to the previous owner wasn't fully burned in. I'm using it with a pair of early 1970's KT66's, and have a pair of Mullard EL34 xf2's to compare coming Saturday (thanks for the tip, Sfox7076).

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
What differences did you hear between those two? I've been using a U50, which has been my favorite so far, and just received an anniversary RK 5U4G, which according to the previous owner wasn't fully burned in. I'm using it with a pair of early 1970's KT66's, and have a pair of Mullard EL34 xf2's to compare coming Saturday (thanks for the tip, Sfox7076).

I would say the ACME 274b is a bit airier and the RK 5u4g is a bit denser and tauter but both on a very high level.
I love both and it is imho more a matter of taste and/or system synergy.

But I didn't revert back to the RK 5u4g for quite a long time now because I got so many new output tubes to try and I don't want to have more than one variable at the time.

I also got my own pair of new production Genalex KT77 Gold Lions just 10 minutes ago and I will have to burn them in properly what takes quite some time and effort. But I can do that in exchange with a brand-new new production pair of TungSol 5881 tubes :D

Last edited:
Reactions: sujay and Ed_K

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing