LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

ronfint

Oct 29, 2012
Michigan
users.math.msu.edu
Is there anyone with a TRP that is using HQ Player to upsample to high rate dsd? My GA was dsd only; so I used to upsample in Roon, but once I upgraded to the TRP with engine 53, I found no advantage in doing so. I now play all files natively, but I was wondering about HQ Player.

Reactions: Golum and christoph

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Use it on 300B.

It is unusual in that it had to have a filament that worked with the aircraft on ground or in air. So it works just fine at 6.3V or 7V.

I used to listen to it a lot TBH not long after I got my Big 7. Whilst it never excelled at any particular parameter it never seemed to do anything wrong.

You could also try VT-25 the ceramic based version but it wasn't designed for audio frequencies like VT-52. Be careful though not all VT-25s are the same. So to make it simple just go for the WE one. It was next on my list TBH.

Reactions: denimhunter

denimhunter

Apr 9, 2020
BTW I use the Sylvania VT-52. A lot cheaper.
Thanks. VT 52 have similar sound characteristics to 45?
i got a pair of western electric VT52 waiting for an amp (not sure what yet).
vt25 or 10y thoriated tungsten tube, never imagine can be used in the dac.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Sylvania VT-52 sounds nothing like EML GM 45 or Cunningham CX-345 or Philco 45 for that matter.

I think it's quite uncoloured and linear in its presentation. Perhaps that's why I liked it so much. I still like it now. Microphony is quite low, too.

The one thing it won't do is blow your mind or impress you. It's totally unpretentious. And it probably doesn't sound like the WE VT-52.

denimhunter

Apr 9, 2020
Sylvania VT-52 sounds nothing like EML GM 45 or Cunningham CX-345 or Philco 45 for that matter.

I think it's quite uncoloured and linear in its presentation. Perhaps that's why I liked it so much. I still like it now. Microphony is quite low, too.

The one thing it won't do is blow your mind or impress you. It's totally unpretentious. And it probably doesn't sound like the WE VT-52.

I never played my WE VT52 before, at least now I can try them on the Lampi. Interesting that u think they sound different fr the 45.
I am using globe 45 with the dac at the moment. What rectifier tube are u using with the 52? I am using type 80 as rectifier, find that matches well. rectifier tube do make a far bit of difference esp come to vintage dht.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I never played my WE VT52 before, at least now I can try them on the Lampi. Interesting that u think they sound different fr the 45.
I am using globe 45 with the dac at the moment. What rectifier tube are u using with the 52? I am using type 80 as rectifier, find that matches well. rectifier tube do make a far bit of difference esp come to vintage dht.

I don't know how long you have been rolling tubes but for any given valve type the sonics between different manufacturers is quite broad.

That's why I say I'd be surprised if the Sylvania VT-52 sounds like the WE. It almost certainly won't. It is probably better but I wouldn't like to guarantee that.

denimhunter

Apr 9, 2020
I don't know how long you have been rolling tubes but for any given valve type the sonics between different manufacturers is quite broad.

That's why I say I'd be surprised if the Sylvania VT-52 sounds like the WE. It almost certainly won't. It is probably better but I wouldn't like to guarantee that.

I have been rolling tubes for last 20odd years. Particular Tubes, esp vintage, always have a sound signature because of their specification. Of course different construction have slightly different sonics but branding doesnt mean a great deal because there was a lot of rebranding in the early days.

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
Is there anyone with a TRP that is using HQ Player to upsample to high rate dsd? My GA was dsd only; so I used to upsample in Roon, but once I upgraded to the TRP with engine 53, I found no advantage in doing so. I now play all files natively, but I was wondering about HQ Player.

For clarification: Are you using HQ Player w/o upsampling to DSD or the Roon native player?

I cannot comment on HQ Player, but made the same experience with Roon native player and prefer non-oversampling, even with Audirvana, same result.

Last edited:

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019
I've just got my Atlantic Plus back from Poland after it's upgrade to TRP. It no longer has an Amanero USB input, instead Roon shows a JLSounds USB card. As I couldn't wait to see if it was working OK I've just been playing it with a generic Windows 10 usb driver so far but it does sound very good. I'll download and load up the correct drivers in the morning and see how it sounds then. I believe that this card is supposed to allow native 512 in Windows though I must admit I don't have many DSD files let alone 512, maybe I have some amongst the 2L sample files I downloaded a few years ago. I will anyway try to see some out to try.

Tubes used in the hour or so of play so far are my well burned in KR 5u4g and a pair of again well burned in Mullard EL34's Greg at G-Point has lent me. I have a new pair of Genelex KT77's waiting as well as an NOS pair of GEC KT66's. Due to the worldwide lockdown I have struggled to get a pair of Psvane 6CA7 II's or indeed the Psvane Acme 274B rectifier but will try and source both as soon as I can. Still I'm up and running and all is good so far!

David Whistance

Ed_K

Oct 27, 2019
Greer, SC USA
I've just got my Atlantic Plus back from Poland after it's upgrade to TRP. It no longer has an Amanero USB input, instead Roon shows a JLSounds USB card. As I couldn't wait to see if it was working OK I've just been playing it with a generic Windows 10 usb driver so far but it does sound very good. I'll download and load up the correct drivers in the morning and see how it sounds then. I believe that this card is supposed to allow native 512 in Windows though I must admit I don't have many DSD files let alone 512, maybe I have some amongst the 2L sample files I downloaded a few years ago. I will anyway try to see some out to try.

Tubes used in the hour or so of play so far are my well burned in KR 5u4g and a pair of again well burned in Mullard EL34's Greg at G-Point has lent me. I have a new pair of Genelex KT77's waiting as well as an NOS pair of GEC KT66's. Due to the worldwide lockdown I have struggled to get a pair of Psvane 6CA7 II's or indeed the Psvane Acme 274B rectifier but will try and source both as soon as I can. Still I'm up and running and all is good so far!

David Whistance
FYI, I got the Psvane 6CA7 T2’s from Tube Amp Doctor in Germany. My Acme Supreme 274 came from Grant Fidelity in Canada. Grant no longer has the 6ca7’s and they are pushing one of the others, I believe the WE’s. If you can get 6CA7/Acme 274b combo, do it. This is doing great things in my system. It is less forward than the KT77/274b with deep and wide soundstage. Since I also have the RK KR 5u4g, I will be trying that with the 6CA7’s now that they are broken in. Good luck in your efforts. Cheers
Ed

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Since I also have the RK KR 5u4g, I will be trying that with the 6CA7’s now that they are broken in
I'm curious which combo you will prefer.

Ed_K

Oct 27, 2019
Greer, SC USA
I'm curious which combo you will prefer.
I’ll post my thoughts , probably by weeks end. But with the 274B, clarity, definition, instrument placement in the ss is excellent. A very good sonic picture. Nothing is overblown, good low and high end. I want to say very neutral spectrum. It really shows what the Lampi is all about. KT77/274b can be a little too much in upper frequencies.
Stay tuned! Hope you’re well. Cheers, Ed

jslateiv

Apr 9, 2020
Erie, PA
Been thinking about a USB cord as previously I always ran Toslink. Is there a consensus that the USB cord makes a huge difference with the TRP? Is there the need to re-power/clean the USB path with something like a regen or does the TRP pretty much make that inconsequential. I know with some DACs it;'s very much needed, others not so much. Just not sure about where the TRP falls in that line.

findog

Apr 29, 2019
www.tinyurl.com
I find the USB is better than Toslink but not as noticeable that I can say definitively. Both sound fantastic. I don't use a clean path except I use a NUC with Roon to eliminate the noise from my Mac Mini Roon Server and use a Verastarr USB cable.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing