LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
I’ve been going back and forth between a F2a/Sophia Aqua 274b and a Bendix 6384/Cossor staggered plate 53KU combo. Now switching it up and listening to Bendix and Sophia. No final conclusions yet. I’m surprised how close all of these combos are.

jonstine

Jun 1, 2022
I’m ordering an A3 TRP with a few cherry picked options from the Golden Atlantic build. Rob got pricing from Poland for me.

The upgraded WBT sockets and upgraded premium capacitors for the power supply are 100 euros for each mod - so $200 euros for a good portion of the GA performance (I’m hoping). I didn’t want the copper chassis (already had that on my B3 that I’m upgrading from), I’ll upgrade my own tubes, and I’ve got isolation pucks already. Those appear to be the remaining GA upgrades, although perhaps there are others not listed. Either way, that’s hitting the important things from the GA build for me.

Mine will also have VC and be balanced, the large blue LED screen, and I’m doing the whole chassis in the Sahara Silver color. Should come out like the pic below.

I’ll post again when it arrives.

Attachments

• IMG_2162.jpeg
    IMG_2162.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 15

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Nice. Neither of those upgrades were available last year.

budburma

May 7, 2023
Hudson Valley, NY United States
I’m ordering an A3 TRP with a few cherry picked options from the Golden Atlantic build. Rob got pricing from Poland for me.

The upgraded WBT sockets and upgraded premium capacitors for the power supply are 100 euros for each mod - so $200 euros for a good portion of the GA performance (I’m hoping). I didn’t want the copper chassis (already had that on my B3 that I’m upgrading from), I’ll upgrade my own tubes, and I’ve got isolation pucks already. Those appear to be the remaining GA upgrades, although perhaps there are others not listed. Either way, that’s hitting the important things from the GA build for me.

Mine will also have VC and be balanced, the large blue LED screen, and I’m doing the whole chassis in the Sahara Silver color. Should come out like the pic below.

I’ll post again when it arrives.

Thanks for that, @jonstine, I just added the power supply caps to my recently ordered all silver single ended TRP. Really looking forward! I have three isolation footers on hand to try out, too. Isoacoustics Orea, Ingress roller blocks and Townshend isopods. Should be a lot of fun!

I’ve been going back and forth between a F2a/Sophia Aqua 274b and a Bendix h384/Cossor staggered plate 53KU combo. Now switching it up and listening to Bendix and Sophia. No final conclusions yet. I’m surprised how close all of these combos are.
That looks like an interesting combination between the Bendix and Sophia. Looking forward to hearing how that works out for you!

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Thanks for that, @jonstine, I just added the power supply caps to my recently ordered all silver single ended TRP. Really looking forward! I have three isolation footers on hand to try out, too. Isoacoustics Orea, Ingress roller blocks and Townshend isopods. Should be a lot of fun!

Of the three footers, Townshend probably has the best reputation. One other that you might check out are the Graphite Audio Premium Isolation Cones, which is what Lukasz recommended for Horizon owners. I've used them under a TRP and now GG3, and they are the best I've had. Rob's company imports them and might give you a good deal.

budburma

May 7, 2023
Wow, what a flurry of preparation, reading and searching and buying.
And what a great thread.

My A3 is officially on the bench being put together - seems that summer in Europe is a good time full of vacation if you live and work there. Sounds pretty great. Having things made at this time might take a little extra patience, but just adds sauce to the anticipation. No hurries, no worries.

The assortment of tubes I've gathered for rolling are mostly new to me, strange and varied. 7 rectifiers and 6 pairs of power tubes - with one NOS Philips EL51 still looking for a dance partner.

As our local americana music heroes sing: Roll on, Arte, Roll on!

A couple of safety questions:
Anywhere I can have them tested before use? I'm 100 miles north of NYC and in the country, so I have a car.....
-Most come as tested, a few not, and a few could use verifying?

Some I know need adapters, but do these?:
Bendix 6384, Bendix 6106?

Just to be sure - could someone let me know if I'm wrong about any of these these:
Non adapter
Recti: 5R4GY, 274B
Power: 5942, 6n3c-e, 6L6GC

Adapter
Recti: PZ 200/600, AZ1, U 50/80
Power: EL51, EL12

Thanks so much.

budburma

May 7, 2023
Of the three footers, Townshend probably has the best reputation. One other that you might check out are the Graphite Audio Premium Isolation Cones, which is what Lukasz recommended for Horizon owners. I've used them under a TRP and now GG3, and they are the best I've had. Rob's company imports them and might give you a good deal.
The Townsends arrived and are awesome under my AMR - I imagine they'll do the same under the Lampi when it gets here. Those Graphite Audio are beautiful and likely just a helpful as nicely crafted, but a little pricey for me....hooboy.

budburma

May 7, 2023
Here's a newbie question: Do the 'power tubes' need to be closely matched as you would preamp tubes or are they 'auto-biased' in some fashion like power tubes might be? I recently received a single NOS Philips EL51 (thanks to a member here!) and found another, but matching is a little tough to get/find/get done...

Reactions: jonstine

jonstine

Jun 1, 2022
Here's a newbie question: Do the 'power tubes' need to be closely matched as you would preamp tubes or are they 'auto-biased' in some fashion like power tubes might be? I recently received a single NOS Philips EL51 (thanks to a member here!) and found another, but matching is a little tough to get/find/get done...
I’ll piggyback off your question if that’s ok!

I’m interested in this answer as well, but from the perspective of a Balanced A3. How closely matched does a quad of power tubes need to be in Balanced operation?

And forgive my ignorance, but if I’m not currently used the Balanced output, am I able to use the A3 single ended outputs with only 2 power tubes (1 pair removed)? I assume the answer is “no, all tubes must be present”, but wanted to check.

Thanks!

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I’ll piggyback off your question if that’s ok!

I’m interested in this answer as well, but from the perspective of a Balanced A3. How closely matched does a quad of power tubes need to be in Balanced operation?

And forgive my ignorance, but if I’m not currently used the Balanced output, am I able to use the A3 single ended outputs with only 2 power tubes (1 pair removed)? I assume the answer is “no, all tubes must be present”, but wanted to check.

Thanks!

I think the answer is yes to the single ended question. Easy to experiment and find out.

Do a search for “what if dac power tubes not matched?”

Reactions: Souldriver

budburma

May 7, 2023
I think the answer is yes to the single ended question. Easy to experiment and find out.

Do a search for “what if dac power tubes not matched?”
Always better of course! It's seems it may be less impactful using such incremental pieces of the fully available juice with tube in the A3 and up. ....the empirical method is easy enough. I only have two Philip EL51's to try, so it will have to be with some other set. Really looking forward to the A3 getting here and broken in so the gams can begin!

Reactions: msimanyi

jonstine

Jun 1, 2022
I’m still in the process of putting in work and reading through this ENTIRE thread when time permits. Currently on Page 64 after starting over from the original Page 100 I jumped in on. What a fantastic thread so far, btw!!

It seems both of our questions were answered by Lukasz himself on Page 64, Post #1277. I’ve copied here for reference, with the original post made by @JonathanKlein:

@wison Thanks for the info. The following is confirmation from Lukasz with some additional details.
  1. Is the GA TRP 2 auto-biasing so that it will adjust for different spec tubes? In other words, as long as I insert a tube with matching pinout, it won’t cause damage to the DAC? YES, EXACTLY. ANY PENTODE OR TERODE WITH SAME PINOUT WILL WORK JUST FINE
  2. How important is to use matching quad tubes vs two sets of matched pairs vs all unmatched? Is there a specific left vs right side that I should install them if they aren’t matched? EACH TUBE HAS THE PARAMETERS SET INDIVIDUALLY, SO THEORETICALLY THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH USING 4 RADICALLY DIFFERENT TUBES. THE LEFT - RIGHT WORK AS “SEEN” AND REAR ROW IS BALANCED NEGATIVE, FRONT ROW IS SE AND XLR POSITIVE. WHEN YOU LISTEN TO SE YOU CAN USE ONLY FRONT ROW OF TUBES.

ronfint

Oct 29, 2012
Michigan
users.math.msu.edu
I’m still in the process of putting in work and reading through this ENTIRE thread when time permits. Currently on Page 64 after starting over from the original Page 100 I jumped in on. What a fantastic thread so far, btw!!

It seems both of our questions were answered by Lukasz himself on Page 64, Post #1277. I’ve copied here for reference, with the original post made by @JonathanKlein:

@wison Thanks for the info. The following is confirmation from Lukasz with some additional details.
  1. Is the GA TRP 2 auto-biasing so that it will adjust for different spec tubes? In other words, as long as I insert a tube with matching pinout, it won’t cause damage to the DAC? YES, EXACTLY. ANY PENTODE OR TERODE WITH SAME PINOUT WILL WORK JUST FINE
  2. How important is to use matching quad tubes vs two sets of matched pairs vs all unmatched? Is there a specific left vs right side that I should install them if they aren’t matched? EACH TUBE HAS THE PARAMETERS SET INDIVIDUALLY, SO THEORETICALLY THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH USING 4 RADICALLY DIFFERENT TUBES. THE LEFT - RIGHT WORK AS “SEEN” AND REAR ROW IS BALANCED NEGATIVE, FRONT ROW IS SE AND XLR POSITIVE. WHEN YOU LISTEN TO SE YOU CAN USE ONLY FRONT ROW OF TUBES.
I am reminded of the scene in the movie theater lobby with Marshall McLuhan in Annie Hall.

jonstine

Jun 1, 2022
I am reminded of the scene in the movie theater lobby with Marshall McLuhan in Annie Hall.
Based on your recommendation (and others) I just purchased a pair of NOS Siemens F2A tubes/adapters as well as a NOS Tungsram PV200/600 w/ adapter. Should all arrive by end of August or early Sept.

My A3 Balanced won’t be here until late Aug also, and I’ll let it burn in on whatever tubes are shipped with it. But I’m REALLY looking forward to trying the Siemens/Tungsram combo! Thanks for documenting your journey, it saved me and hopefully others a lot of $$$ and time.

Edit: I also have a new Sophia Aqua II 274B rectifier to try in the A3. I haven’t seen any other mentions of it’s sound character in a Lampizator yet, so I’m interested in checking it out as well.

Last edited:

ronfint

Oct 29, 2012
Michigan
users.math.msu.edu
Based on your recommendation (and others) I just purchased a pair of NOS Siemens F2A tubes/adapters as well as a NOS Tungsram PV200/600 w/ adapter. Should all arrive by end of August or early Sept.

My A3 Balanced won’t be here until late Aug also, and I’ll let it burn in on whatever tubes are shipped with it. But I’m REALLY looking forward to trying the Siemens/Tungsram combo! Thanks for documenting your journey, it saved me and hopefully others a lot of $$$ and time.

Edit: I also have a new Sophia Aqua II 274B rectifier to try in the A3. I haven’t seen any other mentions of it’s sound character in a Lampizator yet, so I’m interested in checking it out as well.

Thanks very much. It is very gratifying to hear this. I try my best not to fill up space with BS when I post. If your taste is anything like mine, you will love the combination of the F2a’s with the PV200/600.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

I would also try every tube you have on hand anyways ;)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Thanks very much. It is very gratifying to hear this. I try my best not to fill up space with BS when I post. If your taste is anything like mine, you will love the combination of the F2a’s with the PV200/600.
I was quite a bit underwhelmed with the PV200/600 but systems, tastes and synergies might differ obviously.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Siemens F2a and Globe 80

Reactions: ronfint

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing