LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hadn’t heard of Globe 80. Which have you liked?
The older the better.
From the 20ies (of the last millennium :eek: )
But needs an adapter.

Reactions: Designsfx

jonstine

Jun 1, 2022
My TRP3 VC/Balanced arrived last week! I was going to let it burn in on the stock tubes (Shuguang 5C3S and 6550B quad), but true to form, I had the supplied tubes and fuse swapped out within the first hour of it being powered up lol.

So any observations on sound differences moving forward will be based off of the current TRP3, Sophia Aqua II 274B, Siemens F2A, and SR Master fuse combination. I can at least confirm that swapping in all of those at once was a significant jump forward in overall sound quality versus the first hour of playback. So much better in fact that I had only intended to check out the tube differences briefly, and when I went back to stock it was like the sound (which was huge!) had been put back into a box. Nope, gonna run what sounds the best!

I did try a few different regulator and output tubes as I swapped in different combos. A Sophia Princess 274B and an EML Mesh 274B were tried, but easily bettered by the new Aqua II. I also tried KT120s and new GL KT88s, but the F2As are ridiculous. Maybe trending toward just the tiniest touch hot on the overall sound balance, but it’s already addictive and I’m hoping as everything burns in and smooths out it’ll continue to get better. It’s like putting a supercharger on a V8, you just want to crank it at every green light.

I won’t do any in depth discussions about sound until the combo has more time on it, but I can say it is a significant step up from the B3/E53 I had previously.

I can also happily confirm that the Balanced version can be run with only the front pair of output tubes driving the single ended RCA outputs. No need for a full quad until you use the Balanced outputs, which is really nice future proofing for later system changes.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_2685.jpeg
    IMG_2685.jpeg
    395.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2703.jpeg
    IMG_2703.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
My A3 VC/Balanced arrived last week! I was going to let it burn in on the stock tubes (Shuguang 5C3S and 6550B quad), but true to form, I had the supplied tubes and fuse swapped out within the first hour of it being powered up lol.

So any observations on sound differences moving forward will be based off of the current A3, Sophia Aqua II 274B, Siemens F2A, and SR Master fuse combination. I can at least confirm that swapping in all of those at once was a significant jump forward in overall sound quality versus the first hour of playback. So much better in fact that I had only intended to check out the tube differences briefly, and when I went back to stock it was like the sound (which was huge!) had been put back into a box. Nope, gonna run what sounds the best!

I did try a few different regulator and output tubes as I swapped in different combos. A Sophia Princess 274B and an EML Mesh 274B were tried, but easily bettered by the new Aqua II. I also tried KT120s and new GL KT88s, but the F2As are ridiculous. Maybe trending toward just the tiniest touch hot on the overall sound balance, but it’s already addictive and I’m hoping as everything burns in and smooths out it’ll continue to get better. It’s like putting a supercharger on a V8, you just want to crank it at every green light.

I won’t do any in depth discussions about sound until the combo has more time on it, but I can say it is a significant step up from the B3/E53 I had previously.

I can also happily confirm that the Balanced version can be run with only the front pair of output tubes driving the single ended RCA outputs. No need for a full quad until you use the Balanced outputs, which is really nice future proofing for later system changes.

Cheers!
What a beauty :cool:

Dammit, I should have asked Lukasz to change my display as well to the new OLED one :eek:

Glad you already like your new baby better than the E53 even with no burn-in :)

Reactions: jonstine

jonstine

Jun 1, 2022
Quick update after a week. I was on travel for half of last week, but did have a chance to put about 70 total hrs of music through the new TRP3, and have some more observations to share.

Before that though, I had a “lightbulb” moment early last week. I had mentioned the slightest bit of a hot sound previously, and that I hoped it would smooth out over time. Well, as I was doing some cable management I noticed a sudden increase in distortion and reduced output coming from the left speaker as soon as I touched that speaker cable. After some troubleshooting, I realized that the REL spade connection for the high level left channel had shifted and was just barely making contact across the + and - channel posts. Enough that dynamic swings and sudden musical bursts were pushing just enough current to short out the terminals resulting in distortion and lower output. As soon as I corrected that the “hot” sound went away completely and in its place was crystalline, pure highs and liquidy deliciousness.

The most noticeable musical quality that I have heard develop over this weekend (again at about the 70 total hr mark) is the grain free, natural, effortless nature of most music that I’m playing through it.

The highs are extended and clear as a bell (think Cal Tjader, Manu Katche, Dead Can Dance, Alt-J, etc), mids are luscious, rich, and guitars have ridiculously great tone (Brothers in Arms, Kenny Burrell, Grant Green, Rage Against the Machine, Black Keys to name a few), while the bass and bottom end have become extremely nuanced and detailed (Bass Room by Nemad Vasilic, Sea Change, Random Access Memories, RHCP, Ray Brown, etc).

And the absolute best part is the old cliche: both my wife and I are hearing significant new things within music that we have listened to hundreds if not thousands of times. But it’s true. We were listening late last night, and song after song revealed something new in the mix, or things that had completely different timbre or inflection than before. Constantly.

This TRP3/E11 is a HUGE leap forward from the previous B3/E53 that it replaced. The Aqua II 274B and the Siemens F2A output tubes are extremely impressive, and will be in this through the next 300-400 hrs of burn in and evaluation. I am a very happy camper!

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
This TRP3/E11 is a HUGE leap forward from the previous B3/E53 that it replaced.
I already have my Atlantic 3 TRP, but this is really good feedback for anyone considering the Baltic and weighing whether or not the Atlantic is a material improvement. Glad it's working well for you... and helped you avoid a catastrophe in the process! (That potential short.)

Last edited:
Reactions: jonstine

jonstine

Jun 1, 2022
I already have my Atlantic 3 TRP, but this is really good feedback for anyone considering the Baltic and weighing whether or not the Atlantic is a material improvement. Glad it's working well for you... and helped you avoid a catastrophe in the process! (That potential short.)
No kidding! It was ever so slightly touching, probably less than a mm of the spade just barely touching the other post, but enough to be slightly noticeable at higher volume and with greater dynamic swings. It was enough to steal some upper end purity from the final output, so it was really two birds with one stone.

I should add again, my TRP3 is more similar to a Golden Atlantic TRP in a regular case. I added the upgraded caps, chokes, and WBT terminals to the basic TRP3 build, but did not want the gold chassis or the footers. I’m not sure how much of a difference the included upgrades make vs a standard TRP3, but trying to be as transparent about the build as possible so no confusion.

budburma

May 7, 2023
Hudson Valley, NY United States
Thar she blows. A la @jonstine, all silver with the upgraded PS caps, but not the chokes (didn't think of it). Finally broken in and opened up - a very nice moment! In the heat of the moment, the Lampi needed some space to stretch it's arms, so I sold my Supratek Syrah and picked up an LTA Ultralinear + w/MM/MC SUT as a nice match for my Daedalus Athena v2's. Still have the Modwright KWA150SE kicking around just in case I need to go back to Supratek for a Grange.
I've tried some Tesla EL51's and Tele EL12's with Tungsram PZ 200/600, Philips 5r4gys and Sophia 274b mesh recti. The Sophia was the surprise of the bunch for me with so much open and inviting density, pace and space. It's a little tight/sibilantish yet and needs some time to smooth out a bit still. The Tungsram was aggressive in the mids with both Tesla and Tele and the Philips was a bit reserved/pipe and slippers, but could also probably use some more time to shake off 50 years of cobwebs and open on up.
This is seriously good fun!
So much good information here, but it's still hard not to reinvent some of the wheels rolling by. So I have a good 10 power pairs and recti each to mix and match...
But not totally ignore the love; I found a 'good deal' for a pair of F2a's in Europe so they and their adapters are coming home to papa.

Attachments

• IMG_3638.jpeg
    IMG_3638.jpeg
    610.2 KB · Views: 17

budburma

May 7, 2023
A quick follow up and more of a confirmation than any real ground breaking - the Sophia Mesh 274b is the best I have. So much more transparency and air without any unnecessary roughness (unlike Aaron Rodgers...ouch). With the GEC CV1075, it presents a pretty intoxicating soundscape.

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
But not totally ignore the love; I found a 'good deal' for a pair of F2a's in Europe so they and their adapters are coming home to papa.

You're gonna love the F2a. Just give it some time to burn in, but to me they're made for the TRP.

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
You're gonna love the F2a. Just give it some time to burn in, but to me they're made for the TRP.
I would heartily agree. I must say, I find the Bendix 6384 to be very close.

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I haven't heard some of the tubes you're mentioning, but as 6L6's go, I found the early 1960s RCA 6L6GC to be special. Used a pair in a Supratek preamp.

budburma

May 7, 2023
That's funny, I have a pair of Bendix 6384's in right now and am really enjoying them. Just breaking in though, but more detail and a crisper attack. More toe tapping to be had. The layering and is still laying in wait, I think. And the images are a bit tight and on one horizontal plane. I'll see what happens later today. The GEC were already broken in and hateeve a nice experiential stage but were a less inviting.

@highstream I love Supratek. I've been reading your posts and think we have a simliar sonic palate. I just sold off my Syrah along with a Modwright KWA150SE. That combo was really ethereal and generous with my Daedalus Athena. I already miss them. My server and switch had to live on the floor, though. The LTA Ultralinear + Integrated that took their place is better for the audio real estate and more accurate, but not as lush. Those Supratek's are special for sure - I used 1950's Sylvania 5932 black separate towers w/dual disk getters for the 6L6 spot and loved them.

All that said, these wafer bottom russian Reflektor OTK 6n3c-e gold grids from the '80's really hold their own in both Supratek and Lampi-land.

And, where on earth did I put my other recitfier box with my Mullard GZ34 and pairs of WWII RCA 5Rr4gy's and Tele AZ1's?! i'm losing my mind a bit....

budburma

May 7, 2023
HA! Found 'em. In the Pink Faun box hiding in my car's trunk. Let the fun continue!

budburma

May 7, 2023
All over the place with this. Even with the F2a, all recti felt either too revealing and shouty or shy and reserved with shadowed vocals - a marmot that forgot how to whistle. TFKN AZ1, Mesh Sophia 274b, Gz34, 200/600, U50/80, 5r4ugy, etc.

I think Lukasz was onto something with the Shuguang KT88 and NOS Winged C OTK 5u3c. I have a Valvo G1064 in there now and there's a lot to like! Lots of presence, big and juicy. A pleasant surprise.

Reactions: Sablon Audio

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Good day,
Does anyone happen to know if there is an alternative to the Tesla EL51 tube?
Thank you very much for your response.

Read this thread for ideas. After using Teslas for awhile, I switched to Sophia Electric EL34-ST’s and then their KT-88s, which I found had a touch of warmth I liked. I had tried a number of well known older tubes on the way there.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing