LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Btw, last I heard Lukasz dropped KR because he became unhappy with their QC (or something).
Is this a fact (from a dependable source) or just hearsay?

Otherwise I would be careful with such potentially reputational damage causing claims!

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

budburma

May 7, 2023
Hudson Valley, NY United States
I still like that tube -- a lot. I guess that makes me a tasteless cur.
Wellllll, Ron, we could all be tasteless curs with AND without tube preferences....Woof.

andyo

Oct 11, 2023
Dallas, TX
Hello from a new member. I have been a reader of this forum for some time now. I found a lot of useful info.
I am thinking of upgrading my GA TRP to TRP 3. I would appreciate any opinion about the difference in sound, etc.
Thank you.

Reactions: Mamon and christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I am thinking of upgrading my GA TRP to TRP 3.
What digital engine does your TRP(1?) have?
TRP3 with engine11 is excellent!

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I think it is 53. It's the very first TRP version.

It should be upgradable. Have you contacted Rob at LampiNA? I've yet to hear of anyone who didn't find the Engine 11 upgrade an improvement across the board. If you do the upgrade, other upgrades (or changes) can be done too.

Reactions: fbs and christoph

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
@budburma @jonstine
Hey Gents- I was just looking over the pictures posted of your new dacs and realized we all ordered the same color- or at least what I believe to be “Sahara Silver”. Does the faceplate on yours have the same color treatments or is it just aluminum? Also interested to know what footers your dacs came with. Mine were supposed to be Stacore but I believe they are something else. They’re black pucks with some kind of coils wrapped around the outside. I had expected the machined silver stacore with pad.

budburma

May 7, 2023
Hudson Valley, NY United States
@budburma @jonstine
Hey Gents- I was just looking over the pictures posted of your new dacs and realized we all ordered the same color- or at least what I believe to be “Sahara Silver”. Does the faceplate on yours have the same color treatments or is it just aluminum? Also interested to know what footers your dacs came with. Mine were supposed to be Stacore but I believe they are something else. They’re black pucks with some kind of coils wrapped around the outside. I had expected the machined silver stacore with pad.
Sahara it is! w/blue light and upgraded PS caps. Don't know the footers it came with, but I have Orea Bronze footers under it and looking forward to see what Ingress rollerballs might offer.

msq123

Oct 15, 2023
London
Hi, I recently acquired an Atlantic TRP balanced with pre and looking at various options to improve my experience which has been brilliant so far. I have gone through all 112 pages of thread and grateful for all the helpful comments and journey all of you have gone through and should make it easy for me.

my stock tubes are Linlai KT88 quad, PSvane Acme 274B and another Russian no name 5U3C. I am a mids guy and going through these pages I feel GEC KT66 is a good place to start with my Acme 274. Could someone please opine if there is any difference between grey and clear glass? Clear glass is more readily available and is relatively cheaper, if the differences are negligible sonically I will go with it.

down the line I plan to experiment with Tesla EL51 or Siemens F2A, Sophia EL34 ST

PS - I can run my system both SE and balanced and will stick with former for NOS for obvious reasons. Could look at quad if I go new production route.

Reactions: christoph

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
@msq123
Congrats on your new TRP! I received mine about 2 months ago with LinLai KT88’s and the Sophia Aqua 274B rectifier. Although I found the dac to be an improvement in certain areas of the overall presentation I haven’t been overly impressed with the tube combination. I believe the KT88’s are the culprit here and if you read the TRP thread it seems that this has been the consensus of others as well.
As of this point I haven’t purchased many tubes as I want to do more listening for strengths and weaknesses of the dac itself within my system as opposed to frustrating myself with endless options of tubes. I removed the LinLai 88’s and replaced them with a quad of 6L6G’s and that with the Sophia made a huge improvement. I did try a set of PSVane 6CA7-TII’s but had to run those single ended. As my system is balanced I quickly pulled them- I’ll continue searching for another pair to complete a quad. Not sure about your system (balanced or se) but it made enough of a difference to me that I’m going to stick with purchasing quads only. Still considering other tubes and members here have been very helpful with recommendations and advice for moving forward. Keep us informed of what you’re trying as it’s important to have those experiences on hand!

Reactions: christoph

Redwoodaudio

Aug 25, 2021
I still like that tube -- a lot. I guess that makes me a tasteless cur.
As do I. But I probably don't obsess over my rectifiers as much as the average poster here, god bless them.

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
@Redwoodaudio
Just curious- are you running balanced or se? Which rectifier do you currently prefer the most?

Redwoodaudio

Aug 25, 2021
@Redwoodaudio
Just curious- are you running balanced or se? Which rectifier do you currently prefer the most?
Single Ended. I'm using the PV2000/6000 (or whatever its called) right now. No strong preference between this one and other recent tubes I've used; absolutely no complaints, though.

jonstine

Jun 1, 2022
@budburma @jonstine
Yep, Sahara Silver, both faceplate and chassis cover. The only difference is the knob is a different finish, more pearlescent. Honestly, I’m not that keen on the way the Sahara Silver looks. The color/sheen on the TRP looks nothing like the pics of the Horizon in Sahara Silver, which is what I assumed it would be, although the knob has the same look as that Horizon finish. I’ve got a black replacement front for it, and I’m considering having a friend of mine paint the chassis some interesting color at his automotive paint shop. Not sure yet.

Reactions: Designsfx

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
@LampiNA
Please see the above post as it seems I’m not the only one who expected a different outcome when upgrading on the Silver Sahara finish.

Reactions: jonstine

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing