LampizatOr Horizon - Tube Rolling Paradise

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
Yes. It could be system dependent or even these tubes. I have the same configuration as you Steve, as I followed your advice (which is why I got the TS in the first place). I have KT170s and a Tak recti. To my ears the metal base Sylvania and ECC32/31 sound better. Maybe it’s to do with other elements in system. Maybe your Wilson’s are brighter than my Marten and so the darkness of the tube balances perfectly at your house and not at mine. Or perhaps something else. I trust that you are happy. That is what matters in the end… I would still love to hear what a shoot out between metal Sylvania and/or ECC32 resulted in at your house.
Looking at the curves of the KT 170s, think I’ll stick with the 300Bs in my Pacific.

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
I had the RK tubes in my Pacific,. They were excellent. I am looking to upgrade these Kt170s soon to some NOS tubes. Perhaps 6384s. Also looking at NOS TS 6550s. I dont know how to read the graphs in that link. What do those measurements tell you?

Maybe my tubes are different or not as good. Could be. Any sources for these TS 6SN7?

Last edited:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Reactions: Tuckia

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
I had bought a pair of the TS 6SN7 GTB.
I used them with the Kron 5u4G (not the signature) rectifier and KT 170s.
I was very disappointed. The Melz 6sn7 sound much better and so do my pair of 6N1P with adapters. The sound was, flat, sterile and hard.
This was after I found the problem with my rectifier. (See below!) I find it interesting that the TS 6SN7 GTB is supposed to be the super version of the TS 6SN7. I was expecting quite an upgrade. Perhaps it’s the influence of the Kron 5U4G Vs the TAK that most use.

I’m interested in the TAK rectifier. I’ve read lots of great reports but also from one well known member that they don’t sound the best with Lampi being “dark and bass heavy”. Raise your right hand and foot if you use the TAK with Horizon. That way I can get an accurate count!

During the last week I noticed that my system was just not sounding correct. I thought it sounded out of phase, flat and no dynamics. The very opposite
that my system with Horizon or for that matter my Pacific sounds. I switched to an Auralic Altair just for grins. It sounded better. So I figured a had a tube going out.

I’ve been using the USAF 596 “Frankie” as my Recti. It’s always been a favorite. I switched in the Kron and instantly the problem I’ve heard was fixed.
So beware a bad tube.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
There are many versions of the Tung Sol GTB. That designation doesn’t point to just one variety of Tung Sol 6SN7s.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I had bought a pair of the TS 6SN7 GTB.
I used them with the Kron 5u4G (not the signature) rectifier and KT 170s.
I was very disappointed. The Melz 6sn7 sound much better and so do my pair of 6N1P with adapters. The sound was, flat, sterile and hard.
This was after I found the problem with my rectifier. (See below!) I find it interesting that the TS 6SN7 GTB is supposed to be the super version of the TS 6SN7. I was expecting quite an upgrade. Perhaps it’s the influence of the Kron 5U4G Vs the TAK that most use.

I’m interested in the TAK rectifier. I’ve read lots of great reports but also from one well known member that they don’t sound the best with Lampi being “dark and bass heavy”. Raise your right hand and foot if you use the TAK with Horizon. That way I can get an accurate count!

During the last week I noticed that my system was just not sounding correct. I thought it sounded out of phase, flat and no dynamics. The very opposite
that my system with Horizon or for that matter my Pacific sounds. I switched to an Auralic Altair just for grins. It sounded better. So I figured a had a tube going out.

I’ve been using the USAF 596 “Frankie” as my Recti. It’s always been a favorite. I switched in the Kron and instantly the problem I’ve heard was fixed.
So beware a bad tube.
I used the RK 5u4g initially. Very musical and open but things did not shine for me until I replaced it with the Tak 274B

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
Hi Steven,
I will probably end up with the Taks. They have a great rep. I’m being cautious. I’ve got a large (to me) collection of tubes that I’ve purchased for my Dude preamp, and Lampi Level, Big 7, Golden Gate, Pacific, and Horizon. I purchase most after reading about them here. They have all Ben good. But now what yo do with them? I believe most are still in excellent condition. But without a tester I’m hesitant to sell as I’d want them to perform well and not sell under false pretense.

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
There are many versions of the Tung Sol GTB. That designation doesn’t point to just one variety of Tung Sol 6SN7s.
Hi,
I’m sure there are many different variations. The ones I’ve used and reported on are Tungsol 6SN7. GTB. At least that’s all the label on the boxes say. And also the add I bought them from on eBay.

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
I have enjoyed the Tak recti. I still love the Frankie as well. I think it depends on the tube configuration. In my system both are better than the KR and the blue Sophia I have here. What other drivers have you tried? As mentioned, so far I find the Sylvania metal base and ECC32/31 to be best. I like tube rolling and hearing all the differences. It amazes me. Some day I will try some NOS rectifiers as well. I used to have a Woo audio headlamp (I switched to Cayin) and had a real nice Brimar recti in there with a brown base. I think it was a 5UFG, but not sure. I had rolled many in that amp and it was best. I wonder if something like it would do similar magic for the Horizon…. When it comes to tubes, they dont make em like they used to.

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Hi,
I’m sure there are many different variations. The ones I’ve used and reported on are Tungsol 6SN7. GTB. At least that’s all the label on the boxes say. And also the add I bought them from on eBay.
Until you post a photo of these TS 6SN7 GTB no one will be able to offer a meaningful comment. It’s like saying you bought a Ford. They’re not new production Tung-sol are they? Those are turds. If you don’t have a tester they could be spent too.

Generally the Tak rectifier works better in the Horizon than in the Pacific. Each model of dac will have it’s favotites.

Today I’m running a KR 5u4g with csf 5687 and KT170. Sounds just fine. Until I get my amp and speakers optimized I’ll be running the second string squad. Hardly suffering.

My best are the Tak with ECC32 and KT170 or KRkt88.

Occasionally I’ll drop in a GEC u52, or RCA globe 80, or Ken Rad vt244, or RK 5u4g rectifier too. But the Tak is best.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I have met so many wonderful people online through WBF. I really value the insight I learn from the many threads that are posted.

Through WBF, I conversed with Ray from Calgary. We have talked on and off for the last year. Out of the blue, he asked if I was available for a visit to Arizona. That is a long plane ride. He wanted to hear my system and frankly get out of the cold.

He also has a Horizon. We decided to do a shootout of three conversion tubes. I already solidified the Sophia Electric Aqua 274B and the NOS Tung Sol 6550 from the 60's.

I completed an extensive tub-rolling exercise as penned earlier in this thread. We started with the Phillips Mullard ECC81, which is a new NOS tube for me. After an hour I put in the Brimar Yellow T 6060. Ray immediately said wow a major uptick in sound quality. Everything was just more vibrant with more bass and a wider soundstage. I did not tell him which was my favorite tube because I wanted to hear his comments.

The last tube I stuck in was the Brimar 13D9. This has been my favorite tube so far and Ray totally agreed. He absolutely loved the tube. I gave him a pair to listen to in his system back home, so I will be anxious to get his feedback.

It is amazing that Ray flew from Calgary to Arizona to hear my system and to meet for the first time. Thank you WBF for having such a great place to discuss our hobby and thank you Ray for your insight on my system.

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
I have met so many wonderful people online through WBF. I really value the insight I learn from the many threads that are posted.

Through WBF, I conversed with Ray from Calgary. We have talked on and off for the last year. Out of the blue, he asked if I was available for a visit to Arizona. That is a long plane ride. He wanted to hear my system and frankly get out of the cold.

He also has a Horizon. We decided to do a shootout of three conversion tubes. I already solidified the Sophia Electric Aqua 274B and the NOS Tung Sol 6550 from the 60's.

I completed an extensive tub-rolling exercise as penned earlier in this thread. We started with the Phillips Mullard ECC81, which is a new NOS tube for me. After an hour I put in the Brimar Yellow T 6060. Ray immediately said wow a major uptick in sound quality. Everything was just more vibrant with more bass and a wider soundstage. I did not tell him which was my favorite tube because I wanted to hear his comments.

The last tube I stuck in was the Brimar 13D9. This has been my favorite tube so far and Ray totally agreed. He absolutely loved the tube. I gave him a pair to listen to in his system back home, so I will be anxious to get his feedback.

It is amazing that Ray flew from Calgary to Arizona to hear my system and to meet for the first time. Thank you WBF for having such a great place to discuss our hobby and thank you Ray for your insight on my system.
That is epic. Wish I was there and hoping for more such real life friendships around here!! The world could use more stories like this. Made my day!

Reactions: christoph

takacs75

Nov 17, 2020
Hungary
That is epic. Wish I was there and hoping for more such real life friendships around here!! The world could use more stories like this. Made my day!
It is! As Gollum said to me it is the Horizon brotherhood. Since I’ve had my Horizon I met a lots of kind people here. I am so grateful to be here with you guys. I got so much help from this community. I didn’t know anything about tubes. Now I am a junior expert on Horizon tubes. I will do my best to give it back to you, and help you to find the best tubes to your system.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Does this 13D9 type tube need an adapter in the Horizon?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

For sure. It is equivalent to an ECC81 which is a 9 pin preamp tube.

Reactions: christoph and Bbock

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
13d9 are a drop-in replacement for a 12at7. I’m currently trying a pair out in my amps in place of the GEC A2900, another 12at7 drop-in replacement.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
13d9 are a drop-in replacement for a 12at7. I’m currently trying a pair out in my amps in place of the GEC A2900, another 12at7 drop-in replacement.

I love the GEC A2900 in my phono pre. Nice sounding tube.

Reactions: Bbock

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing