LampizatOr Horizon - Tube Rolling Paradise

FWIW. This is day 3 now of using the TP adapter with my c3g/s tubes. and now grounded. I must admit that I’m miffed as to how good these adaptors are Grounding them is the icing on the cake. The sound floor is virtually non existent and the aggressive highly dynamic c3gs now sound smooth and rounded. The output volume on my Horizon can now easily be raised back to 63 and there is no distortion. Having said that my comfort level has gone from 59 previously to 60-61 suggesting distortion has been removed. The purity of the sound is simply beyond.
TP adapters is onto something very positive. I look forward to TP finishing development of adapters for the SRS551 and the Valvo G2504. At that point the only thing left is a lifetime of wonderful listening. Kudos to TP adapters

Do these adapters have anything other than sockets and wires?

Thanks to Laszlo and Ian for helping me in my short dive into tube rolling and end game tube for my Horizon which best serves to showcase my system

So many wonderful changes have occurred over the past 18 months since I received my horizon. here I am now in a place I never knew existed in my system but I learned a lot over this time and am now totally settled as to where I end up in this tube game. Right now I have never been happier. All I am waiting n now are TP adapters for theValvo G2504 and the SRS 551. For ow I continue to use Ian's adapter fir the Valvo and I just never knew an adapter could make such a difference and then to learn that grounding the adapter produced even greater rewards. So here is a flow chart of my 18 month journey into tube rolling. I can say that this part of my tube rolling is now over as I am enamored with where this lead me and to the overall sound in my system

Rectifier: RK-KR 5U4G- -->Shuguang gz480---> EML 274B mesh--->Takatsuki 274B---> TFKN RGN2004 mesh plate--->Valvo G2504 solid plate

Triodes: Bendix 6900--->Thomson 5687CSA--->TS 6SN7GT VT231, round plate, black glass---> Mullard ECC32--->TFKN c3g/s

Pentodes: RK-KR KT88 Anniversary edition---> Red Lion Genalex KT88 and KT77---> TS KT170--->Tungsram OS1--->SRS551

I am running SE through my Horizon so I only use a set of SRS551 in the left bank and a used set of TSKT170 in the right bank (for XLR). I was fasciated to read posts by Ian that the type of tube that is placed in the right bank will impart some sonic changes which I actually verified. I prefer TS KT170 in the right bank rather than OS 1 which softened the presentation overall.

I presently use the wooden TP adapter from Takacs and am simply amazed that an adapter can influence and better the sound and then to take it a step further and ground the adapters was novel to me yet I was gobsmacked upon hearing the sonic result.

all tubes I use now except the KT 170 require special adapters. The Valvo G2504 has Ian's epic adapter which is a must to hear. I understand TP adapters are being developed now for the SRS551 and Valvo, and I bet TP will find a successful and lucrative business building niche adapters for nut cases like me

For those using c3g or equivalent and are using the cheap plastic dual adapter from China need to reach out to Laszlo for his superb wooden adapter and for the RGN2004 and G2504 Ian's adapters are a must hear. Only downside is their size but putting that aside, the sound mitigates the looks

The biggest caveat inal of this is that"one man's passion can be another man's poison". What I describe above is that which works best for my ears, my system and my music preferences

YMMV

Reactions: ctydwn
This post speaks volumes about Laszlo. Indeed he is so deeply involved, all to the benefit of we the users

This post speaks volumes about Laszlo. Indeed he is so deeply involved, all to the benefit of we the users

I am personally incredibly grateful to Laszlo, Ian, and to you as well Steve. It takes lots of time, effort (and money) to conduct these comparisons, write down your thoughts and deliver the goods to the Lampi community and I for one, don't take it for granted.

Some of what you all write here filters down and helps your poorer Lampi brethren, like myself, living in the uhhh... "not as elite" audio neighborhoods. :eek::D

I am personally incredibly grateful to Laszlo, Ian, and to you as well Steve. It takes lots of time, effort (and money) to conduct these comparisons, write down your thoughts and deliver the goods to the Lampi community and I for one, don't take it for granted.

Some of what you all write here filters down and helps your poorer Lampi brethren, like myself, living in the uhhh... "not as elite" audio neighborhoods. :eek::D
Ty Blake, but again remember that these are my thoughts for my ears, my system and my room. There are so many paths to Valhalla . For me this is but one of the which suits my tastes and needs

Ty Blake, but again remember that these are my thoughts for my ears, my system and my room. There are so many paths to Valhalla . For me this is but one of the which suits my tastes and needs

Well, of course Steve, everyone knows that (or at least at this level, they should), and this is the case with every subjective opinion on the web. Subjective comments are just personal opinions, system/ears/biases/etc. dependent.

But these opinions are data points and if you see a bit of a consensus forming, you can then try this stuff for yourself and if you end up with a similar opinion, then you are good to go. I've done this with G2504, Ian's adapter, C3g, etc.

Nobody on this forum takes anything written here as scientific, objective truth, but simply as info for consideration.

After a full day of listening yesterday I noticed some interesting findings. Initially when the TP adapters were installed and grounded I found that I could raise the VC on my Horizon Fromm 59-61 and still have comfortable listening levels,. Yesterday however, I found that as the c3g/s burns in as do the adapters the sound not only improved but I found on some genre of music I was reducing the Horizon VC to as low as 55 and using my Lamm preamp for fine tuning. I am not sure whether this is due to either tube burn in and adapters settling or a combination of both. Yesterday the palette just seemed to be richer and the music was sounding remarkably good. Bottom line as the tubes burn in and adapters settle, I find the sound floor so low that the volume seemed louder and in certain files I had the Horizon VC at 55-56 as I used my Lamm preamp to fine tune. Overall the sound on a daily basis is steadily improving. I remain mesmerized as to the amazing sound produced by the 4 c3g/s tubes and the TP adapters.

@takacs75 ....looking very much forward to adapters surfacing for the Valvo rectifier and the SRS551 pentodes.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing