Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Maybe in the future - unobtainable before 2021(at least) for sure...

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I have Takatsuki matched pair 300b and 274 Rectifier for sale. Please PM for details! Thanks

Reactions: bonzo75

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
My favorite in the Golden Gate 2 is still the Western Electric 422a. It loses to the Acme 274b in scale and soundstaging though. I've been eyeing the Western Electric 274B as it's supposed to have a bigger expansive soundstage.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Anyone know what the "small" tube is in the Pacific. Nobody ever talks about it.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
So, to the aficionados on here, I'm reading that the 274A is the equivalent of the 274B and can work with the GG with an adapter.

Please correct me if I'm wrong before I do something crazy. Late night time tube browsing while inebriated could lead to trouble ;-)

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Just do something crazy - anyway we live in crazy times so who cares about the late night crazy tube rolling :p.
Those ad1s showed up or not yet?

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
AD1s haven't surfaced yet. And yes, I got a set of 274A incoming as well as an adapter. Unfortunately, the adapter is coming in from China so the long wait begins anew.

Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I find myself using valves with B4 or P8A (AD1) bases almost exclusively these days.

Just saying. I'd actually prefer a B4 base in the Lampi as the default! Not sure I'll bother but I did swap out the original for an Audio Note UX4 silver base.

Tim F

Jun 11, 2018
New rectifier, and I think these are tricky to get hold of, first impressions are very good. I believe this is Mullard, it's a UK one and made for the military. This is a very high quality rectifier. I will try and review later. I've had no luck WHATSOEVER with cheap rectifiers, of which I have loads now. I also got the later version of this and it wasn't good either. Potato masher etc. are nowhere near ACME 274b, this valve and GZ34 metal base. My current advice is to avoid cheap valves. I've tried a lot and all are way behind. Running with the KR242 in a GG2, in case you are interested.

Still interested in opinions around U52 brown and black base. Anyone run these older valves?

Reactions: christoph

Tim F

Jun 11, 2018
Do you guys have details on where to get adapters that you keep talking about? Cheers, Tim

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Do you guys have details on where to get adapters that you keep talking about? Cheers, Tim
Adapters for what exactly?

Charlie B.

Nov 8, 2017
Germany (100km north of Frankfurt)
Would a Telefunken RG 62 D rectifier work in a Pacific? Would it be worth a try?

Tim F

Jun 11, 2018
Ah should have been clearer on the adapters sorry, UX4 (4 pin) rectifiers to octal.

So first impressions of the UK military KV378! I've not done extensive comparisons with the ACME in a long listening session but here's what I've found. I also picked up the new version of this, which is terrible and not worth bothering with, so if you're looking for one be careful to get it right.

Soundstage
Expansive and not lacking at all. On the cheaper valves I find they sound smaller and more compressed. None of those issues here. Sound is diffused properly making the speakers disappear. This appears to be the equivalent of the ACME 274b which is the best one I have in this regard. The GZ34 which I reviewed earlier is flat in comparison to the ACME and this.

Sound
The biggest difference with this valve compared to the ACME is the sound in the range of the vocals, snare drums and cymbals. It has tremendous clarity and is the most real sounding I've heard. I find a lot of valves can warm up the sound (just like the GZ34) i.e. distort. This can be good but often results in vocals sounding really good, but drums sounding a little washed out and not as real. The valve gives the most accurate sound I've heard with tremendous separation and decay. There is no blur whatsoever. Reverb on vocals becomes highly accurate and noticeable. This is like a window into the original recording. The valve isn't bright per se but this is it's stand out quality.

Bass
Deep bass is the equivalent of the ACME. Upper bass is more accurate but you lose some of the valve magic. I actually like the soft kick drum sound, which isn't exactly accurate but is a personal preference.

Summary
This is a stunningly good tube. I have heard that some of the older Mullards are warm but this is anything but that. The ACME is also superb so this is not a criticism. The GZ34 is entirely a different type of sound trading soundstage and clarity for warmth. As with all these things it will come down to personal taste.

Reactions: christoph

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Be sure to let the Acme rectifier burn in for a long time. I've realized myself that I made some premature judgements on it initially.

It's still my second favorite to the Western Electric 422a. The 422a does lack that soundstage similar to how you describe the GZ34.

Reactions: christoph and fbs

Tim F

Jun 11, 2018
Thanks Adam, I think I must have about 50 to 100 hours on it by now and the sound hasn't been changing much. How long are you talking? What changes did you see with the sound when it was complete?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing