Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Managed?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Maybe the connectors are tight but it isn’t going in easily and I don’t want to force it.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
When you place one side into adapter (can’t remember which one now - maybe where the pins are more together) the other side really goes quite smoothly...

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
My next statement is obvious, but just in case - pins should be aligned correctly.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I got them in. Thanks for all the tips.

Unfortunately, I can push the pins entirely into the socket since the case opening is too small. They sound fine, but I need a different adapter so it will fit better.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
All covered by me and others earlier in the thread.

Just get two UX4 life extenders.

You're actually best using AD1 to B4. Then B4 to UX4. Then you can use all the excellent B4 base tubes like real PX25s, PX4, RD27AS etc etc etc.

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Last edited:

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Well I've been playing with my Tesla AD27 courtesy of a couple of WBF members and I have to say I really like them. My standard tubes are RK KR PX25 which I really like. They are a bit.more dynamic than the Super TNT 300Bs I have tried, but putting in the Teslas brings the music alive even more so. Focus is more snappy and the realism goes up a notch.
I am not someone who has traditionally tube rolled but these Teslas have convinced me that it is worth the journey. Gain is up compared to the RK PX25. I have not yet had the chance to try the KR242 but my guess is some of that flavor is evident in these Teslas.
There is one downside though. Putting my PX25 back can make sound seem a little boring sometimes. Is that good? I don't know. It's not like you're on a high with the Teslas. They are not fatiguing at all but it does mean my RK PX 25 have been relegated to their box..... 20200617_180545.jpg 20200617_181012.jpg

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Well I've been playing with my Tesla AD27 courtesy of a couple of WBF members and I have to say I really like them. My standard tubes are RK KR PX25 which I really like. They are a bit.more dynamic than the Super TNT 300Bs I have tried, but putting in the Teslas brings the music alive even more so. Focus is more snappy and the realism goes up a notch.
I am not someone who has traditionally tube rolled but these Teslas have convinced me that it is worth the journey. Gain is up compared to the RK PX25. I have not yet had the chance to try the KR242 but my guess is some of that flavor is evident in these Teslas.
There is one downside though. Putting my PX25 back can make sound seem a little boring sometimes. Is that good? I don't know. It's not like you're on a high with the Teslas. They are not fatiguing at all but it does mean my RK PX 25 have been relegated to their box.....

I can't say they don't look familiar somehow :p
Really glad you like them - enjoy!

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
FWIW I am liking RD27AS more than I did. It seems to work better with a Westinghouse VU71 than any previous rectifier attempt.

I personally think Tesla AD1 is unrivalled in the bass department. Nothing can beat it. And mids and treble are gentler.

The RDs have a more diffuse bass and there's less of it. But the mids and treble are more forward and alive than AD1.

In fact the RDs have a tendancy to sound like what you are listening to is more 'live' than studio recordings usually sound. Almost like some reverb has been added. I personally think it's the product of a degree of microphony that AD1 doesn't have . Some decent tube dampers may be worth trying but hey you may consider this effect a bonus, so maybe not. It is certainly interesting.

In short supply but prices when available are generally amazingly low. For the moment.;)

Reactions: Golum

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
My RD27AS have not yet arrived. The AD1s were shipped 5 weeks after them but arrived first. Nothing with the mail makes sense these days.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
There is one downside though. Putting my PX25 back can make sound seem a little boring sometimes. Is that good? I don't know. It's not like you're on a high with the Teslas. They are not fatiguing at all but it does mean my RK PX 25 have been relegated to their box..... View attachment 67045 View attachment 67046

Howie they look freakin' awesome on those sockets with your gold top.:)

Will do what I promised a bit later on today. Too busy yesterday;)

To all: for matching rectifiers I would tend to try and find something that is smooth with a degree of warmth rather than very accurate and / or detailed or etchy.

This tube runs hot with high output at up to 9.2 Watts and that's more than some Lampis can tolerate I am sure. So be careful and check with Lampi first unless you have a Pac it would seem.

It may also not be a good match for your pre like 242.

Last edited:
Reactions: Golum

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Howie they look freakin' awesome on those sockets with your gold top.:)

Will do what I promised a bit later on today. Too busy yesterday;)

To all: for matching rectifiers I would tend to try and find something that is smooth with a degree of warmth rather than very accurate and / or detailed or etchy.

This tube runs hot with high output at up to 9.2 Watts and that's more than some Lampis can tolerate I am sure. So be careful and check with Lampi first unless you have a Pac it would seem.

It may also not be a good match for your pre like 242.

I found a NOS GZ34 rectifier to be outstanding. Well worth trying.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Definitely ask Lampi if your Big7 MkII is OK with RDs.

I will ask Lukas but why would you think they wouldn’t be? Their specs are very close to a PX25.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I will ask Lukas but why would you think they wouldn’t be? Their specs are very close to a PX25.

Well not quite.

4V X 1.8A = 7.2 Watts. That's still above what Big 7 Mk 1 could do which I believe Norman once said was 6.5 Watts which he got from Lukasz I believe. I've used KR PX25 current there, which is below a 'real' NOS PX25 which is 2A. I used that since virtually all PX25 users will be using the KR.

But 4V X 2.3A which is RD27AS max current = 9.2 Watts. That may well be pushing the bar too far.

In short an RD is a fair amount more demanding than a KR PX25. So not that close really. It's the factor of 4 that makes seemingly small current demand differences an issue.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Well not quite.

4V X 1.8A = 7.2 Watts. That's still above what Big 7 Mk 1 could do which I believe Norman once said was 6.5 Watts which he got from Lukasz I believe. I've used KR PX25 current there, which is below a 'real' NOS PX25 which is 2A. I used that since virtually all PX25 users will be using the KR.

But 4V X 2.3A which is RD27AS max current = 9.2 Watts. That may well be pushing the bar too far.

In short an RD is a fair amount more demanding than a KR PX25. So not that close really. It's the factor of 4 that makes seemingly small current demand differences an issue.

I have emailed Lukasz.

I didn’t even think about it being an issue. When you and I were discussing you selling me one of your pairs it never came up.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing