Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I have emailed Lukasz.

I didn’t even think about it being an issue. When you and I were discussing you selling me one of your pairs it never came up.

Nope I just assumed you had a Pac and knew what you were up to.

See what the man says. Best post the answer here.

Charlie B.

Nov 8, 2017
Germany (100km north of Frankfurt)
Probably a dumb question:
Can I replace a KR Audio 5U4G, which has got 8 pins, with a Psvane A274B Acme Series, which has got 4 pins, in the same 8 hole socket of my Lampizator pacific? - It does fit...

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Probably a dumb question:
Can I replace a KR Audio 5U4G, which has got 8 pins, with a Psvane A274B Acme Series, which has got 4 pins, in the same 8 hole socket of my Lampizator pacific? - It does fit...
Yes you can. No adapter is needed in this case.

Charlie B.

Nov 8, 2017
Next question: There is a rubber sleeve for the Psvane tube base. Is that only a transport protection or should I use it with the tube as a mechcanical decoupling device (or so)?
Thank you!
Charlie

Charlie B.

Nov 8, 2017

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Next question: There is a rubber sleeve for the Psvane tube base. Is that only a transport protection or should I use it with the tube as a mechcanical decoupling device (or so)?
Thank you!
Charlie

I don't use them. I think there are for shipping purposes to protect the bases. You could shoot Rachel @ Grant Fidelity an email to confirm.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Guys, I need your help! I currently use Tak recti with Tak 300b on my GG2. The timbre is nice, but sometimes I wish for more resolution and a better defined bass. I also have 242 and PX25. They a better resolving, but the gain is too much in some situations. I plan to send the dac to Poland to install the high / low gain switch.
Until I do that, I would like to find another low gain output tube, which is better than 300b. Does it exist?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This is why I suggested you should use the 242 when you were trying the different amps. That was more important than the amps.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I tried PX25 with Momentums. There was distortion due to high gain. You are obsessed with 242 and pretend not to understand the gain issues it creates in most systems. My dac was voiced with 300b, which is quite annoying considering the fact it is not the best sounding tube for Lampi. Now I need to send my dac to Poland to get the best out of it after I already paid almost 15k? Maybe I should look at other dac options instead.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No I know there are gain issues. That's why I suggest trying it with different variables to find the right gain match

iain

Jul 23, 2018
Guys, I need your help! I currently use Tak recti with Tak 300b on my GG2. The timbre is nice, but sometimes I wish for more resolution and a better defined bass. I also have 242 and PX25. They a better resolving, but the gain is too much in some situations. I plan to send the dac to Poland to install the high / low gain switch.
Until I do that, I would like to find another low gain output tube, which is better than 300b. Does it exist?
Another option is to get some attenuater plugs. I have some Avondale Audio ones. They need to burn in, but do an excellent job. I prefer them to using the jplay lossless volume control

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
No I know there are gain issues. That's why I suggest trying it with different variables to find the right gain match
I tried! Do you think normal manufacturers expect the crazy gain you get with 242 or PX25 on lampi? They don’t. They all adhere to some standards with regard to a source output voltage.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Another option is to get some attenuater plugs. I have some Avondale Audio ones. They need to burn in, but do an excellent job. I prefer them to using the jplay lossless volume control
I have similar plugs. Tried them and in my view they degrade the sound.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Hi;

I'm sorry to hear regarding your issue with the 242/25 overdriving the amps and yes that is a total PITA. Definitely installing the low/high gain switch will help with this "problem". Pity is that Lampi had implemented in my ex GG2 solution for this as with each different tube type i had more or less consistent output voltage and hence no overdriving the preamp with high gain tubes. Seems like this high/low gain switch is kind of solution i had.
Now tubes wise which will not overkill you with gain - EML 45 Globe Mash Anniversary - really phenomenal performer - @marslo moved to this one and might chime in with comments about it. Next one is ad1/ad1n and @adamaley might give you more insights about it and on top using it in his GG2 where it overtook his previous favorite ACME 300b...
So I'm sure you can hit the sweet spot with those not being 242 or PX25.

Changing the DAC is of course always the option, except I'm not sure that in this price range you'll get the same level of performance as with Lampi as I do believe they perform above their price point.

Also did you have a chance to hear Pacific? Actually it natively gives exactly the two things you mentioned - more resolution, more definition but still maintaining the timbre of GG2 (I had gg2 and now PAC)...

Cheers;
G

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Abeidrov
Get a volume control instead of high low gain sw. also does your preamp have an internal gain sw to adjust total gain in preamp
Lastly if you don’t use Roon use the vol control in the playback software
just don’t go below 12 dB lowering it.

Reactions: bonzo75 and Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Abeidrov
Get a volume control instead of high low gain sw. also does your preamp have an internal gain sw to adjust total gain in preamp
Prophet Al has spoken...spot on

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Hi;

I'm sorry to hear regarding your issue with the 242/25 overdriving the amps and yes that is a total PITA. Definitely installing the low/high gain switch will help with this "problem". Pity is that Lampi had implemented in my ex GG2 solution for this as with each different tube type i had more or less consistent output voltage and hence no overdriving the preamp with high gain tubes. Seems like this high/low gain switch is kind of solution i had.
Now tubes wise which will not overkill you with gain - EML 45 Globe Mash Anniversary - really phenomenal performer - @marslo moved to this one and might chime in with comments about it. Next one is ad1/ad1n and @adamaley might give you more insights about it and on top using it in his GG2 where it overtook his previous favorite ACME 300b...
So I'm sure you can hit the sweet spot with those not being 242 or PX25.

Changing the DAC is of course always the option, except I'm not sure that in this price range you'll get the same level of performance as with Lampi as I do believe they perform above their price point.

Also did you have a chance to hear Pacific? Actually it natively gives exactly the two things you mentioned - more resolution, more definition but still maintaining the timbre of GG2 (I had gg2 and now PAC)...

Cheers;
G
Golum, thanks for giving me some tube options:) Can you suggest a place to source these tubes?

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Abeidrov
Why should I pay extra for a volume control if I do not need it?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Golum, thanks for giving me some tube options:) Can you suggest a place to source these tubes?
You’re always welcome;).
I’ll send you pp

BTW - if you put on the counter tube prices which you want to get and VC as such you’re kind of balanced/cash neutral as you can happily use Px25/242 and with adjusting the volume via dac you can aditionally tweak the sound signiture finding the sweet spot between your source/dac and preamp. Steve W. was talking quite a lot about his experiance with this in his system with Pacific. Al and many others are playing this game and it works.

Reactions: Alrainbow

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing