LDMS Server

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Having the need for storage or non upsampling is not the reason for more horsepower
Lets say we just stream how is it being done matters
Are you using tidal
Are you using j river
Are you using tidal desktop app
All of the above need horsepower above a Nuc or any of the tiny NAA end points.
Now many feel it's not then they need to stop by me and hear how big the change is.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Having the need for storage or non upsampling is not the reason for more horsepower
Lets say we just stream how is it being done matters
Are you using tidal
Are you using j river
Are you using tidal desktop app
All of the above need horsepower above a Nuc or any of the tiny NAA end points.
Now many feel it's not then they need to stop by me and hear how big the change is.

I hear what you're saying comparing a NucleusPlus and server like Ldms.

But, I'm interested to know if there's a meaningful difference in performance between the Ldms full size and the Mini (or Nano)
if, as in my case, one is mostly streaming (Qobuz).

From my initial email with Lucas, he seemed to be advising one of the smaller units in my case.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Ok here is what I can say on this topic
If one wants to compare. 20 k server in my room I'm here to enjoy it. I did a few years back have an appointment to hear a SGM from the original owner. A very nice man indeed.
His server is win 10 something that I have tried at great lengths. It's not about it being a quality made product. In fact I know for a fact he has put plenty of effort into his product.
Now having said this and not being exactly sure what the LDMS price-points are. But knowing how a used SGM is near triple his top end model , I feel his base model must be thousands less then a used SGM is and the LDMS is new.
For you I feel it's an obvious choice and feel very confident to advise you on this.
What OS is used matters always while implementation matters too there are sounds of each OS that cannot be changed no matter what is done in hardware or OS tweaking is used. One can use internal DSP that's embedded into the OS too. Keeping things simple for me yields best results with predictable sounds.
No streamer/server is perfect for each room and or system.
What the LDMS does that no other server or streamer does is allow the sound to be tailored to your needs.
This is a part of what the LDMS does and this is a level above the rest.
Let me give some simple examples of why this is needed and why no one else talks about this.
Most any sever streamer lay claim they have the perfect sound.
Well here are fun facts to show the false hoods on this simple statement.
Each mainboard, ram , cpu , psu used each effect the sound and this is not even getting into the OS yet.
So the type of ram and how much is used matters
The type n speed of the cpu matter be it one or if a dual cpu mainboard. To add to this plight is the psu used and how it's power is distributed as well.
So even at the level of a SGM all this and much more are at play.
The LDMS maker is A first rate programmer of windows and Linux. In a way he the guy who can see the meaning of the code in the movies called matrix. If I need a driver it's made lol.
It's how he can use the OS he does.
Just 5 years ago he was the Linux guy like many others.
I put him onto windows and showed him the sound of windows that no Linux has. It was a tough sell but once he finally heard it. He then drove 700 miles to an audio bud who had a system worth almost a 700 k
Needless to say the bud would not let him take his
Demo unit back home.
This forums are a top tier buffet of audio owners
Something to be proud of.

Last edited:

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I may be wrong, but I thought I read that both Taiko and Ldms speak of offering to modify the server to the particular needs of the customer, his set up, and the components in his system. (And even prioritize to whether he is playing from local files or streaming?) In my case it mostly streaming, via ethernet, Lampi Pacific Dac, 300b set amp and AvantGarde 107 db sensitive Horn speakers.

So, beyond whatever modifying can be done prior based on that information, can the server be tweaked remotely once in the user's system?

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Yes, servers can be accessed remotely via TeamViewer software for optimisation of software / OS settings. The user can also easily do a fair bit of this from their iPad using the RealVNC app e.g. if you want to try different HQP filter settings.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I may be wrong, but I thought I read that both Taiko and Ldms speak of offering to modify the server to the particular needs of the customer, his set up, and the components in his system. (And even prioritize to whether he is playing from local files or streaming?) In my case it mostly streaming, via ethernet, Lampi Pacific Dac, 300b set amp and AvantGarde 107 db sensitive Horn speakers.

So, beyond whatever modifying can be done prior based on that information, can the server be tweaked remotely once in the user's system?
Wil you are not wrong. All what you stated is correct and the that is one of the great things about them/LDMS. On top Lukas has basically same gear as you do except speakers so the LDMS is used in that kind of environment on a daily basis and your needs can be addressed easily.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Re LDMS, what does the €15k unit give you that the €7k one doesn't? And €15k is in esteemed company, w the Pink Faun 2.16x, and the SGM Evo just €5k more.

The SGM2015's retail is Euro 13.000 (now discontinued)
The SGM EVO retail is Euro 14.500
The SGM Extreme is Euro 20.000

I'll bet the SGM is very good at native too but needs a good dac that does not need such manipulations to sound good.
One answer I can give is on LDMS servers one can upsample to the moon of one wants too.

I can see how that might be confusing, SGM upsampling is fully optional.

Ok here is what I can say on this topic
Now having said this and not being exactly sure what the LMDS price-points are. But knowing how a used SGM is near triple his top end model , I feel his base model must be thousands less then a used SGM is and the LMDS is new.

This does not seem accurate to me.

I may be wrong, but I thought I read that both Taiko and Ldms speak of offering to modify the server to the particular needs of the customer, his set up, and the components in his system.

Correct.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Wil said you use team viewer and real vpn . Do these programs run in the background all the time ?
This Thread has an add for SGM below lol. An odd coincidence ? I do realize I'm in the lions den but don't mind it. Having said this the purpose is to allow others to hear about the LDMS alone as I feel no one benefits from direct compares.
Going back to wils base question for a simple setup of mostly streaming his base model seems correct.
May I ask what his price point was ?

Last edited:

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland

Sorry Wil I was very busy last days and could not gather my thoughts.
Here is my experience with music servers: I have heard SGM first version at Geoffrey’s Sound Gallery .
I have had a short presentation of LDMS at home.
For last 5- 6 years I use Aurenders , first S10 then W20. Before I have purchased S10 I started the files with notebook and JPlay.
Personally I am not in favour of upsampling or/and transcoding, prefer native files played from local HD/SSD.
I have Tidal with MQA ( first unfold at W20 side) but I consider the playback of native DSD and hires PCM to be superior.
That being said I intend to have a longer audition at home with LDMS but without Roon and HQ Player, just native files from local SSD.
I will focus mainly on comparison of usb unpowered playback( Lukas has a slight preference for usb at Pacific) and RJ 45 with a switch .
During the first presentation both usb and RJ 45 were promissing but the differrence with W20 was not huge and as for now I would not trade W20 for LDMS , mainly because I do not like changes if not necessary.
As far as I can judge not being a techie man Lukas is a genius of computer audio and his prices combined with individual approach to the customer make his offer exceptional.
I feel that LDMS has big potential and will for sure be in touch with Lucas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alrainbow

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I am playing with the completely bespoke windows LDMS server in an ebony version in my Tidal La Assoluta/Kondo set up for about half a year now. To my ears it is a marvelous sounding server. The hardware of the LDMS server contains military grade counter EMI and RFI measures which helps lower the noise to 140db snr. External LPSU and reclocker have been added in order to achieve an optimal performance.

So far I have been playing through a wifI connection between my router and LDMS server. However, Lukas will visit me shortly after the Munich high end show in order to install an ethernet cat 7 cable between the router and his server. Hopefully this will increase the sound quality once again.

Reactions: Golum and Alrainbow

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Yes, servers can be accessed remotely via TeamViewer software for optimisation of software / OS settings. The user can also easily do a fair bit of this from their iPad using the RealVNC app e.g. if you want to try different HQP filter settings.
Do you have the apps running in the back ground all the time ? Loaded st startup ?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
A review of the LDMS coming here soon. Not done by me either lol. A real reviewer

Last edited:

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Do you have the apps running in the back ground all the time ? Loaded st startup ?

Al, to answer your questions in Miss World order, I leave my server on continuously churning over DSD128 with the full fat unabbreviated XTR filter. Real VNC is an app which allows your ipad to be used instead of a monitor screen and is a useful function, so that is always active. TeamViewer is seldom needed and left closed.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Ok thanks for a real world answer.
So as I have found having even real vnc running degrades the sound and if you are running team viewer too this makes it even worse.
Now before you say it's not like that on an SGM think lol. It does no matter what we do it's why you use I think a dual cpu main board to divide up duties. I've done this too. Two mainboards trumps a dual pc always. Let's not make this kind thread about the LDMS become a bitter argument in facts and fiction.
Your SGM is a very well made product and I respect that.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing