LDMS Server

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
The LucasAudioLab has a family behind it. Not just pushing his views but there to help all. We all have no monetary value in it. It's purely to help the users. It's not that it needs it but great to be a family to have help buyers like you. Let's face it digital is all analog in complexity plus the digital side. But with his servers, once you hear the leap in musicality, it becomes addictive.
His setups can be made or switched to many players from one pc to several. The LDMS Maker will be part of forums soon. As discussions can be volatile for makers, let's welcome a newcomer with honest questions not putting one maker against the next one. These makers all are here to make audio better and make money. A tough place to be on any forums.

Last edited:
Reactions: Focuser77

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
No probs from me, it's good to hear from the people themselves. Jarek of Stacore and Mark of Sablon particularly come to mind re what's in my system.

For me, as someone who is truly computer averse, and has real misgivings getting away from physical media, I have to make a decision as to whether I stay very entry level ie Oppo Sonica or Bluesound Node/Vault, step up to Roon Nucleus w Ken Lau or Paul Hynes LPS, or Innuos Zenith, or go to LMDS €7k level, where the competition is Pink Faun 2.16, Paul Pang 2 box quad switch.

I'm v unlikely to go as far as Innuos Statement, Pink Faun 2.16x or SGM Evo, purely for cost reasons. Even LDMS at €7k is at the edge.

For me, it may come down purely to customer support/ease of use, as much as SQ. What's most plug and play while being great to listen to? Innuos Zenith or LDMS?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
For me, it may come down purely to customer support/ease of use, as much as SQ. What's most plug and play while being great to listen to? Innuos Zenith or LDMS?
Spirit - LDMS customer support is just totally perfect and super personal. Nowadays, I would say, this is a rare thing/bonus to have...

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Spirit - LDMS customer support is just totally perfect and super personal. Nowadays, I would say, this is a rear thing/bonus to have...

It's a rear thing?

Reactions: Golum

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, stupid prices in audio
Ie "being shafted in the ..."

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Ked, stupid prices in audio
Ie "being shafted in the ..."
Very true but LMDS does not fit in this category
All of his products are very price value competitive
And exceeds in sound , features and support.
No snake oil magic items used.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Good to hear. There's some v healthy choice at the €7k level, incl this LDMS.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Is LDMS Roon? Ie installed on the server? Or do I need it on a computer running elsewhere?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Is LDMS Roon? Ie installed on the server? Or do I need it on a computer running elsewhere?
Roon core installed in mine - so yes it is Roon...but if you want, other SW players can be deployed/installed easily...I'll stick to Roon...

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
It runs Roon on the server, which was a big thing for me. Lucas will optimize this specifically for you. As such, you can then run Tidal and Qobuz.

It can either run Roon directly to your DAC, or via HQ Player. HQ Player has better SQ, esp if upsampling, but can be fiddly to set up (again Lucas will do this). His view is Roon is catching up SQ-wise.

Interesting to note that I put the T&A DSD8 DAC onto the end of the LDMS and upsampled to DSD 512, and it got very close to a Lampi GG2.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ha HeiHei!
I heard GG v Dac8 on SGM some 2 years ago, and I thought the Lampi got close to the T&A.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Lucas' website a little light on tech details. Are Nano, Mini and Full Size effectively different specs? Or same spec, but different chassis'?

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Irrelevant. Marc makes the difference. I was there at the session.

You may not care to hear this Kedar but Bill wrote me at the time to confirm what Marc says - the TA dac really can perform out of its skin with a high grade server (SGM in that particular instance). Whether you prefer its solid state presentation is another, and more subjective, matter.

HeiHei - if using HQPlayer, then the full XTR filter on even 128 speed will comfortably outperform any 512 settings. 256 XTR is even better if your server can cope with the heat dissipation. An investment of @£50 and 15 minutes of diy will give the TA a ‘night and day’ level step change improvement.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Lucas' website a little light on tech details. Are Nano, Mini and Full Size effectively different specs? Or same spec, but different chassis'?
He has been advised to put some hours behind the website as it is confusing. Different spec and different chassis as well.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mark, don't bother arguing w Ked.
Its not enough for me to say "i THOUGHT...", Ked KNOWS.
You know, personal opinions and all that jazz.
But good to know I wasn't the only one in the room that THOUGHT the Dac8 was stellar thru the SGM. Indeed it was a breakthru day for me to hear how good digital could be. Just not via the GG that day, i THOUGHT.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
And for Ked's peace of mind, I thought the Lampi thru Justin's Duettas was simply stellar, may well have beaten the Dac8 had one been about.

Note the "i THOUGHT" thing again. Kinda critical in this hobby.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So Lucas fans, can anyone summarise differences btwn €4k, €5.5k and €10k: Nano, Mini and Full Size specs?

For me, I'd need to know how LDMS Nano w LPS at €5k compares to Innuos Zenith at £3k to consider paying the excess. Zenith is also like LDMS centred on attention to noise supression etc.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing