LDMS Server

tinkerphile

Nov 27, 2021
Nano is not a full server as far I'm aware, it's a light NAA endpoint which can act as a slave for Pico, Mini and Maximus,

I use one of those with secondary DAC at my workstation, this way I can use one Mini server to control two DACs from my phone and tablet,
my Nano module is older discontinued version with coax output, new one has USB & HDMI audio output.
You should give Lucas a call, and he will explain the differences between servers.
Thanks for taking the time to clarify that. Much appreciated.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I wonder if anyone has experience that could help clarify for me what happens if an Oppo and LDMS are both feeding a Lampi TRP at the spdif inputs, RCA and BNC, respectively, the inputs being shorted (i.e., both can’t be used at once). Would switching between inputs require using the Lampi remote or does the dac recognize which line is feeding a signal and adjust accordingly without needing to use the remote? I assume if USB were used instead of BNC for the LDMS, the remote would have to be the way to go, since otherwise one risks supplying two feeds at once Thanks,

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I wonder if anyone has experience that could help clarify for me what happens if an Oppo and LDMS are both feeding a Lampi TRP at the spdif inputs, RCA and BNC, respectively, the inputs being shorted (i.e., both can’t be used at once). Would switching between inputs require using the Lampi remote or does the dac recognize which line is feeding a signal and adjust accordingly without needing to use the remote? I assume if USB were used instead of BNC for the LDMS, the remote would have to be the way to go, since otherwise one risks supplying two feeds at once Thanks,
I think all inputs are exclusive and indeed and so you need the remote to switch from one to another, ie spdif1, USB, spdif2, etc

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I think all inputs are exclusive and indeed and so you need the remote to switch from one to another, ie spdif1, USB, spdif2, etc

The spdif pair on mine is shorted. Here's a photo:

SPDIF ports - 2.jpg

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Asked Lampi NA, which says use USB for a server/streamer and thus switch inputs with the remote. They say USB sounds better than spdif with server/streamer in their experience, cables being equal, as they would in my case (WyWires Diamonds). Also spdif can handle only up to 24/192 files. Part of the basis of my question was having read here or somewhere recently comments to the effect that spdif sounds better than USB. If I used an LDMS, the SSD that currently goes into the Oppo via USB would move into the server, so the Oppo's spdif run would be confined to playing discs, USB video files and TV.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Well after a straight 3 full years with LDMS without one single hiccup yesterday LPSU decided to die out of the blue. Actually it started to behave strangely and make some pre death buzz like few months ago but nothing major happened up until yesterday.
Anyhow I'm not writing this to bitch as these things happen but rather to point out again to Lukasz immaculate and customer oriented service where we exchanged few msgs and new LPSU is on its way.
In the meantime server sings normally with some old DELL laptop charger.

Way to go Lukasz!

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Well after a straight 3 full years with LDMS without one single hiccup yesterday LPSU decided to die out of the blue. Actually it started to behave strangely and make some pre death buzz like few months ago but nothing major happened up until yesterday.
Anyhow I'm not writing this to bitch as these things happen but rather to point out again to Lukasz immaculate and customer oriented service where we exchanged few msgs and new LPSU is on its way.

Way to go Lukasz!
The reason I went with Lucas Audio is the exact reason that you stated. Lucas has always answered my phone calls no matter what time of day to help me out. His customer service has been outstanding for me. As I have said many times before, I view the LDMS as the most important component in my system. Yes, I know that is debatable but for me it is. I have owned mine for over a year and I have had no component issues at all.

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida

Way to go Lukasz!

I just received one of Lucas' new power supplies (with custom LaBoga DC cable) to use with a cheaper server I bought (for my second system). That server came with a upgraded SPMS and while overall the system sounded nice Lucas' LPS is a killer and takes the second system to a whole new level. :)

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I just received one of Lucas' new power supplies (with custom LaBoga DC cable) to use with a cheaper server I bought (for my second system). That server came with a upgraded SPMS and while overall the system sounded nice Lucas' LPS is a killer and takes the second system to a whole new level. :)
What is LPS? Is that something that can be added to an existing Mini in a Maxi chassis?

Reactions: K3RMIT and ronfint

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
LPS = Linear Power Supply. This one is for my second server. I have an outboard LPS for the server that Lucas built for me but that's a Farad LPS and this is much better. I'll upgrade the LPS on my Lucas' server as well.

Reactions: christoph

onsionsi

Nov 27, 2019
Is there any information about this LPS?

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
To the best of my knowledge, the LPS is something a vendor builds custom for Lucas to be used by his customers. It's a beast and will provide DC from 5V to 19V. I'd suggest best way to get more specs is to contact Lucas. He is very easy to deal with.

Reactions: K3RMIT and onsionsi

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020
Has anyone tried Ingress engineering roller block isolation under your server? Or what do you use?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Don’t have an LDMS yet, but use AV Roomservice EVP’s under all cabinet components and Isoacoustics Gaia’s under the main speakers. Under smaller items — SSD, small LPS — I use Isoacoustics Iso-pucks. I haven’t used roller balls, but after trying Stillpoints the type of product has has not seemed so stable and I was wasn’t impressed with the sonics. I’m not clear how two-way physical decoupling is being achieved with these kind of items.

Reactions: Magnuska

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020
Don’t have an LDMS yet, but use AV Roomservice EVP’s under all cabinet components and Isoacoustics Gaia’s under the main speakers. Under smaller items — SSD, small LPS — I use Isoacoustics Iso-pucks. I haven’t used roller balls, but after trying Stillpoints the type of product has has not seemed so stable and I was wasn’t impressed with the sonics. I’m not clear how two-way physical decoupling is being achieved with these kind of items.
Its a difficult subject no doubt. One does not know until you try of course. :) Are the EVP;s better (have read good things about them) considering two-way decoupling than rollerblocks you say? If you have a good isolated hifi rack then it matter less or am I wrong?
Some people seem to prefer isolation platforms but whats the benefit over isolation with only feet I wonder.
I used to have Gaia as well under my speakers. But I like more my current SSC netpoint Mk2 under speakers and DAC. They do a good job so maybe I will just continue with SSC.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Of course, a well isolated cabinet is a good starting point. One mistake I think some people make in choosing a device version is not to allow enough leeway vis a vis the company’s weight supported recommendations. Within reason, better results come from going up.

Isolation is best when it’s fully two directional. There are a lot of devices where how that’s happening is not obvious to my non engineer brain. At the same time, every type of device has a resonance frequency and an effect on sound specific to its materials and construction. If the resonance point is not low enough, that can cause sonic problems.

Since my subs couldn’t take Gaias, I built platforms using phenolic board (Woodcraft), with EVPs underneath the boards and Isoacoustics Aperta under the speakers. About 15 years ago, Wilson found phenolic to be the best for speaker cabinets.

Reactions: Magnuska

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I have the Townshend Pods under my LDMS. I also have a super solid and heavy component rack. I have these Pods under all of my components. The speakers have. the Podiums under them to a porcelain tile floor. Do they make a difference? At this point, I have so many tweaks that I don't know what works and what doesn't but at least I can say I don't have vibration problems.

Reactions: K3RMIT and Magnuska

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020
I received my Mini a few days ago. Now I have the mini as only for Roon core/library and my existing Pico for use only as a renderer.
Mini is powered by the new hybrid PS and the Pico is powered both by a Ferrum for the reclocker and the stock Farad S3

So 5 boxes only for source. Maybe too much but it sounds fine.

1655975803900.png

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
With so many using Lampi DACs, has anyone compared an LDMS to the Gulfstream?
Well I had both, even 4 years old LDMS was a level above it, I've conducted lots of (subjective) comparisons, and rest assured, it can easily best some streamers costing north from 16k euro, I'm looking forward to upgrading my Mini to a new hybrid power supply.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing