Looking for a Turntable & Tonearm combo; which one ?

Cellindo

Oct 28, 2018
France
Dear Vinyl friends.

I do have a good number of vinyls but have sold my venerable LINN LP12 + Ittok + NAIN Armageddon many years back. I quite regret this decision now...

I'm looking for a turntable and matching tonearm combo, which work well together and with the following imperative constraints:

1- Less than 10K€ when purchased in Europe. Below 7-8K€ would even be appreciated.
2- VERY compact, the smaller the better; examples are BRINKMANN Bardo or AMG Giro or KUZMA Stabi or SME 12/15A models
3- Tonearm must be compatible with my existing Cart; SUPEX 900 Mk IV. I may upgrade this cart, but only at a later stage.
4- Modern Look (ie. not an old Lenco, Thorens, Garrard refurbished and fitted into a modern base).
5- the Sound shall be on the vinyl side; I'm not trying to find a turntable/tonearm combo sounding like the best DAC's.
6- Easy to set-up and adjust by myself. Nothing picky i.e. impossible (for an almost beginner) to tune at its best.

The VERTERE MG-1 seems interesting, however not as small/compact as I would like to. And the 3 models listed above, obviously. Amongst them, I have only auditioned during the Munich High-End show the AMG Giro. Some people say STST brand is a very good value. Again, not extremely compact and at the limit of the budget too (with a matching arm).

Any suggestion from vinyl addicts here; MITCHELL Orbe, or WILSON BENESCH, or ... ???

Thanks a lot for your help.
Cheers.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
That woild be 8.7k USD. Add import fees and
distriburor cost.
Good news there is an abundance of belt driven plinth-less deaigns.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Last edited:
Reactions: Gregadd

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
I haven't heard one, but reading your requirements, Thales fits the bill nicely
https://www.acousticgallery.fr/produit/thales-ttt-slim-ii/

8510€, includes tonearm made specifically for it. Just looking at the numbers is a very good match "on paper" with your cartridge. From what I could find, your cartridge weights 10 grams and has a compliance of 13cu (couldn't find if 10 or 100hz), if it is at 10hz, then in combination with the 9 grams Easy tonearm the resonant frequency would be 10.1hz.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
My friend in Milan is Italian distributor of

Wilson Benesch circle25 + act 25. 5.500€
Bauer DPS 3 with Tonearm 9.100€
Wand model 14-4 with Master 12”. 5.900
these are 3 fantastic TT at good price
These are price list included 22% Italian VAT
I think he can do good price to you

Cellindo

Oct 28, 2018
France
https://www.audio-visual-factory.ch...esch-circle-25-mit-nanotube-tonarme-2444.html
Circa $6.5K

Spend the $500 extra and get the Nanotube top tonearm. Its very tweakable with mats and the like. The tonearm is da bomb. You would be hard pressed to better it at any price...it is a carbon tech reference standard.

http://www.wilson-benesch.com/reviews/Wilson-Benesch-Circle-25-Turntable-Image-HiFi-Review.pdf
View attachment 63182 View attachment 63183

Nice turntable indeed. And not crazily expensive. Thanks for reminding me of the Anniversary 25 version.

Reactions: wisnon

Cellindo

Oct 28, 2018
France
My friend in Milan is Italian distributor of

Wilson Benesch circle25 + act 25. 5.500€
Bauer DPS 3 with Tonearm 9.100€
Wand model 14-4 with Master 12”. 5.900
these are 3 fantastic TT at good price
These are price list included 22% Italian VAT
I think he can do good price to you

Grazie mille for these info. I keep that in my head if ever I would opt for the WB Circle 25 or another model.

Cellindo

Oct 28, 2018
France
I haven't heard one, but reading your requirements, Thales fits the bill nicely
https://www.acousticgallery.fr/produit/thales-ttt-slim-ii/

8510€, includes tonearm made specifically for it. Just looking at the numbers is a very good match "on paper" with your cartridge. From what I could find, your cartridge weights 10 grams and has a compliance of 13cu (couldn't find if 10 or 100hz), if it is at 10hz, then in combination with the 9 grams Easy tonearm the resonant frequency would be 10.1hz.

This TT is interesting as well; however I though it was much more expensive with the matching arm. Maybe I was wrong in my assumption.

From the various auditions @ Munich Show I'm not certain this is the sound I'm looking for ... Maybe a bit lean and "lacking some meat on the bone" as we like to day between audiophiles.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Nice turntable indeed. And not crazily expensive. Thanks for reminding me of the Anniversary 25 version.
You can get it with the top of the line Nanotuve arm for $500 more. Do this if you go in that direction and please post feedback later on. I would love to hear.

BTW, where are you located?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing