Low Heat Phonostage

J-Wall

Apr 8, 2023
Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I run an Allnic H3000 and love it. Downside of running it is my very small room and heat generated with it and my Allnic L7000 in the summer time tend to get my room pretty warm. It uses 80 watts powered up. My amps are Atma-sphere Class D so that side of the equation is already taken care of. Any thoughts on very low heat Phonostages? I'd probably want to keep it under $10k and would most likely buy used to extend my purchasing power. Any thoughts or ideas that wouldn't be a major step down from my lovely Allnic?

Dos Locos by Ron Sutherlund - One of my favorite. Paul Hovenga of ManyMoons Audio is a good dealer for them. paulhovenga@manymoonsaudio.com PM for his phone number if you need it.

Sutherland Engineering (my previous post spelling was in error).

I use an Ayre P5xe if needed. Aesthetix Io generates a fair bit of heat so it gets a break in summer.

Reactions: J-Wall
@Long Live Analog @ketcham

Sutherland huh? Am I limited on cartridges for these units as they're trans impedance? I run a Dynavector XX2 so I'd imagine I'm in safe territory, but a lower output wouldn't be problematic? I was doing some research on the Van Den Hul stuff which seems to be also very low heat as well. Not sure sonically how things will compare to tubes.

Any thoughts on the Sutherland sound and benefits of their gear?

Love my Sutherland Little Loco. My cartridges are low output moving coils. Your Dynavector should be fine. Prior to this I had prototype Sutherland Insight paired with a 2M Black which I loved. Difference to me is the Little Loco paired with a LO moving coil exhibits more of the music and details from the grooves. It’s more there.

I would characterize the Sutherland sound as smooth. Mids have clarity, treble is extended, bass is deep. Soundstage is big. The sound is immersive. Keep in mind it’s the sound of the cartridges.

Benefits of Sutherland to me is no fuss or worry. No heat, tubes, to deal with plus it’s simple no frills faceplate. Spin some vinyl and enjoy the music.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sunra and J-Wall
@ketcham I don't see a Dos Locos on their website. Is the just two Phono Locos or is this a separate unit altogether? Any input on the actual unit? I know you're an Allnic dealer, so if there was a person to trust a comparison on, you are it.

Plenty of good SS phono stages about. I can vouch for Tom Evans but Mola Mola Lupe, AS Phonolab & RCM spring to mind.

Your cart, system and taste are the all that can determine what might work best for you

@ketcham I don't see a Dos Locos on their website. Is the just two Phono Locos or is this a separate unit altogether? Any input on the actual unit? I know you're an Allnic dealer, so if there was a person to trust a comparison on, you are it

It is a new unit and like Allnic Korean site and Kevalin Audio - our sites tend to lag in information. This is part of why there is a Allnic supported WBF forum.

Speak with Paul, the performance and pricing - I was impressed.

Reactions: J-Wall
I have experienced bad RF rejection with the Loco. Wrong location and lots of hum and radio out the speakers. Sounds good. Be cautious.

Reactions: Sunra and J-Wall
@ketcham I use the Allnic forum a lot for information. It's greatly appreciated. I'll drop Paul a line today.

@defride Definitely a ton of options. What I would prefer to not do is move backwards in detail and character and purchase a unit that instantly isn't as good as my Allnic. I guess a little flavor change would be nice, but I want to avoid the churning of gear.

Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I run an Allnic H3000 and love it. Downside of running it is my very small room and heat generated with it and my Allnic L7000 in the summer time tend to get my room pretty warm. It uses 80 watts powered up. My amps are Atma-sphere Class D so that side of the equation is already taken care of. Any thoughts on very low heat Phonostages? I'd probably want to keep it under $10k and would most likely buy used to extend my purchasing power. Any thoughts or ideas that wouldn't be a major step down from my lovely Allnic?
look at the SS Phasemation phonostages. I normally run a Silvaweld (predecessor to Allnic) tube phono but got the Phasemation for a second system. It really sounds more like a tube phonostage than a SS one...not surprising given the company.

Reactions: J-Wall and defride
@defride Definitely a ton of options. What I would prefer to not do is move backwards in detail and character and purchase a unit that instantly isn't as good as my Allnic. I guess a little flavor change would be nice, but I want to avoid the churning of gear.

The options I've mentioned would definitely give you a different flavour, as would most anything. Within the L3000 ballpark all those I've mentioned offer an alternative take not a step backwards. Personally, I'd look at a Mastergroove from TE, RCM Theriaa or MM Lupe before the H3000 but we're all different

Reactions: keithc

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing