Magico M6 on TAS

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Davey, I know quite a few sellers who don't know what their houses are worth, so they ask a broker, the market expert, to suggest a price. Sure the seller is free to accept or reject it, but often the seller is relying on the advice of the "professional". In this scenario, can you not imagine the broker suggesting a price that is more likely to sell quicker than a slightly higher price which would benefit more the seller?

This is like my relationship with my lawyer whom I hire for evictions. He is the expert, so I pay him to offer advice. Sure, I have to approve or reject that advice, so I am "completely" in control, but he knows more than I do, and could easily take advantage of that disparity of knowledge and experience. In these kinds of relationships, it is easy for one party to take advantage of the other. Same with construction contractors. It is easy to say that the client is in control. He is, but that does not mean that the hired professional will not put his own interests first. Buyer beware.

Peter, I don’t know the brokers you are talking about, but I can tell you this is not the way the business should be conducted...and IME this is not the way things are conducted, at least in my neck of the woods. If you wish to discuss this further, I think we should do this by PM.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Yes, i have heard it and like it a lot. it may be the best speaker they ever made. If I didn't already have 2 large, reference systems, I would pick up a pair and run them with symphonic line krafts. A dream system indeed.

Caesar, I would love to see an M Mini, with curved sides and baffles, basically a smaller version of the M3, but I think it would be outrageously expensive for a two-way speaker, probably similar to the final $32K for the Mini adjusted for inflation.

Have you read about the new Magico "A" line of speakers? There is quite an active discussion over on AudioShark. No contention or bitterness at all, only positive and optimistic comments. The A3, 4-driver, three-way, will be the largest speaker in the line and will retail for $9,800. This may become a very popular line for Magico and attract a whole new customer demographic: younger and more value oriented.

Magico discussions don't always result in bitter arguments, egos, and rants. They only seem to derail in these pages. It's a shame because the new M6 is a statement product from a relatively new company which is heavily invested in technology and construction techniques. I would love to read a comparative review of the M6 and Rockport Lyra.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
That sounds familiar.
"Caesar lashes out on the liberal media calling Magico superiority 'fake-news'” :-0

BTW, I just saw the Jan issue of TAS. S1/S3 received products of the year by, hard to imagine, not JV, but Andrew Quint, a Wilson avid fan for over 20 years. Sold his set, and bought Magico. Imagine that, another idiot. Same thing happend last year to Antony Cordesman. What is wrong with these people :rolleyes:

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I used that analogy because if one does not like TAS's or JV's practices, they can simply avoid reading the magazine. I hope I am more clearly describing the distinction between behavior which is unethical, illegal or simply distasteful or "dirty". Practices that breach professional guidelines or local, state, or federal laws should be prosecuted.

JV sold loaner Nordost cables on Audiogon for one - this isn't news guys. One of many stories out there.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
why do Magico focused threads always come off the rails? it seems like the posting takes a dark, nasty turn. like the gapers block on the freeway when there is an accident in the far lanes. we want to see if there is any blood.

time for music. a little Debussy tonight I think....

The Horns 2017 thread is so much friendlier, just saying...

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Anyone fortunate enough to own Wilsons or Magicos are in a great situation. Both are excellent speakers, just different flavors of great sonics.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Anyone fortunate enough to own Wilsons or Magicos are in a great situation. Both are excellent speakers, just different flavors of great sonics.

No, I don’t think it is a matter of taste, this is not what you are seeing here. It is a matter of a young, disruptive, company that is challenging the establishment.
And the establishment does not like that…

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The Horns 2017 thread is so much friendlier, just saying...

Yes, horns and horn debate are much more directional, much less side reflections ... :D

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
No, I don’t think it is a matter of taste, this is not what you are seeing here. It is a matter of a young, disruptive, company that is challenging the establishment.

Cannata, apparently you consider everything that is not to your liking in this thread as an attack of Magico. That is rather strange. I and few others have critized the (ethical) behavior of a certain journalist of TAS. That is something completely different than a sort of conspiracy to mock your favourite loudspeaker company. Come on man, move on and start broaden your (audio) horizon.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX

There are two sides to every coin. If we're talking establishment in an audio forum you're taking this way too seriously. Sit back, grab your favorite beverage and listen to a song or two and enjoy...

TLi

May 27, 2016
Peter Mackay is in Hong Kong demonstrating M6. I was there yesterday to audition it for over an hour in the best seat.

As a M Project user myself, I can clearly say M6 is a M Project of M Project. 3 years ago when I first auditioned M Project, the extreme resolution and pronounced articulation were the most striking impression which I still remembered clearly. I ordered one right away.

History just repeats itself. All the good things in M Project just get better in M6, so M Pro of M Pro, again I ordered one right away.

m6 demo.jpeg

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Peter Mackay is in Hong Kong demonstrating M6. I was there yesterday to audition it for over an hour in the best seat.
As a M Project user myself, I can clearly say M6 is a M Project of M Project. 3 years ago when I first auditioned M Project, the extreme resolution and pronounced articulation were the most striking impression which I still remembered clearly. I ordered one right away.
History just repeats itself. All the good things in M Project just get better in M6, so M Pro of M Pro, again I ordered one right away.
View attachment 37736

Big Congratulations! ;)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
What if anything could compete with or beat the m6?

The M6 with one or two QSubs or a new MSub tower for a four-tower system. Or, perhaps a similar speaker but with both a mid below and above the tweeter. However, having a Q3, I appreciate the narrow front baffle that three woofers provides, and this must be one reason for the M6 sonics.

So much fun to speculate about future Magico speaker designs.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing