Magico M7 2023

How is it absurd?

I don't want to ruin the M7 thread, but this habit of congratulating everything in a feel good manner when a speaker is being set up with a CD player when the owner owns Techdas AF0 has to stop. Even a 5 - 10k speaker like Tannoy Gold, smaller Altecs, Devore Orangutans should be set up with analog if the owner has a TD124 or Garrard 301.

How is it absurd?

Because setting up a speaker in the room involves adjusting its placement. Whether that is done with CD or vinyl, or whatever, that's not going to change how the speaker interacts with the room and its placement vis à vis the listening position.

Last edited:
this habit of congratulating everything in a feel good manner when a speaker is being set up

I believe there is no reason to rain on someone else's parade.

I understand that you experience some cognitive dissonance congratulating people merely for setting up a new system in their homes, as we know that you may choose never to enjoy for yourself that same feel good response from the membership from setting up a new system in your home.

Reactions: Kingsrule
I believe there is no reason to rain on someone else's parade.

I understand that you experience some cognitive dissonance congratulating people merely for setting up a new system in their homes, as we know that you may choose never to enjoy for yourself that same feel good response from the membership from setting up a new system in your home.
Oh yes, it is about the feel good response. Main reason to spend on a system set up. Thanks for clarifying

Related - https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/congratulations-every-time-you-buy-a-component.34126/

Assuming the carpet wasn't moved it looks like Peter moved the speakers toward each other by about 5" per side and moved them back towards the front wall by the same amount. Toe looks the same.....

I don't want to ruin the M7 thread, but this habit of congratulating everything in a feel good manner when a speaker is being set up with a CD player when the owner owns Techdas AF0 has to stop. Even a 5 - 10k speaker like Tannoy Gold, smaller Altecs, Devore Orangutans should be set up with analog if the owner has a TD124 or Garrard 301.
disagree.

digital has a finer more narrow window of rightness than analog. and the speedy repeatability of digital makes it a good tool. especially for the quick fix type set up situations. traveling around walking into strange rooms it's not workable using vinyl.

if you have weeks or months then sure the using whole DPOLS approach then vinyl can be a better help to fine tune based on emotive connection. if you have already used vinyl in a system for set-up then using it 'again' can work fine. you have some data points to build on.

for myself vinyl is part of my set-up truth tools, but only a part.

Last edited:
It is fascinating what people can argue about on an audio forum.

Jim Smith sets up speakers listening to digital or CDs also. I think it’s a valid method based on what one is comfortable with and it seems easier to simply click a button and hit repeat on test tones or whatever they are using as tools for set up. Faster and more convenient.

I’ve seen both digital and analog used for successful speaker set ups. I would never use a CD to set up a cartridge.

This is a very interesting mainstream system representing SOTA components from successful well established companies. I would love to hear such system in a home. I wish the owner years of enjoyment.

I think it’s a valid method based on what one is comfortable with and it seems easier to simply click a button and hit repeat on test tones or whatever they are using as tools for set up. Faster and more convenient.
Agree with 1) what one is comfortable with 2) what one does not understand 3) test tones 4 ) faster and more convenient 5) not something I would recommend

@Mike Lavigne … Exactly so , Peter is merely using the quickest and most convenient *Tool* in order to aid in making numerous minuscule adjustment's , easily repeatable , in order to set up the transducer response in the room . Once that task has be en accomplished perhaps fine tune with an analog device might make sense if the customer is in the main a vinyl or tape kinda guy .

@Mike Lavigne … Exactly so , Peter is merely using the quickest and most convenient *Tool* in order to aid in making numerous minuscule adjustment's , easily repeatable , in order to set up the transducer response in the room .
why not use a test signal in that case?

Same difference in reality , presume the CDP had a remote … more than that why not contact the guy and ask him ?

Zero interest. My system will be set up using mono records and stereo will be overlaid on it using LPs. Hang in there till you get to see it.

Digital is superior to analog in speaker setup for two reasons. The first one is purely practical -- The time it takes to change or repeat tracks is way faster on either a CD or files. And if I was going to use a CD I would burn all of the tracks onto the same CD. The second is the fact that the turntable setup has its own set of parameters that have to be optimized. If one used a TT for speaker placement then all of those variables would be folded into the speaker setup. So, set and optimize the speaker placement then use that to tell you how to setup the TT.

Zero interest. My system will be set up using mono records and stereo will be overlaid on it using LPs. Hang in there till you get to see it.
What? You have a system now?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing