Magico M9 >>>>Fulfillment

Jan 16, 2013
NYC
Which is truly incredible. The fact that the M2 doesn't blow the A5 out of the water is really shocking given the A5 is what less than 1/3 the price of the M2 ?
Not sure of the point, I have people that hear the A3 or other non Magico speakers that sound really good as well at less than the $70K price point. No doubt the A5 sounds very good, but so do so many other speakers from many manufacturers as well as other models in the S line from Magico.

As I do these "shootouts" several times/week one thing I can tell you from my experience is the "winner" of the "shootouts" almost always varies from person to person.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 7, 2011
North Shore of Boston
Which is truly incredible. The fact that the M2 doesn't blow the A5 out of the water is really shocking given the A5 is what less than 1/3 the price of the M2 ?
I see your point, but, I am not so surprised by this actually, given the differences in woofer sizes and number and cabinet construction. Not having heard the A5 yet, I can imagine that if the things the M2 does better really matters to the customer, and he can afford the more expensive speaker, he will buy it. If what matters more to the customer's taste is what the A5 does better, then, he can save himself some money.

It's great that one can directly compare these two speakers in the same system and hear for himself how they differ. What I find interesting is how this new driver technology will find its way into future models. I think the three distinct lines are designed for different potential customers, but now there is enough overlap and technology differences, and there are so many models to choose from, that the potential customer has a lot of choices.
Magico seems to have a different approach to some other brands that develop a new style with new technology, and they they replace the old line with a whole new line. Magico's approach seems less holistic and they release one model at a time and seem to be very busy trying new things between releases.

Mar 8, 2020
Of course there are factors of room matching and synergy etc, but my experience and that of many friends is that the Magico M series is a clear step above in many technical categories over the S and A series. For example M series has more resolution, better imaging, larger soundstage. I directly compared the M2 to the S7 and found all these to be true ( and that was in the same room with same equipment). My friend compared A3 to M2 and found the M2 too be vastly superior in these domains to the point of it not even being close. Now all this makes sense. Its not uncommon for a more pricey model or higher tier speaker line to better a lesser line at least technically.

But sometimes you get a real value gem where a lesser priced speaker actually out performs higher priced speakers (all made by the same speaker maker). And that is really exciting. Now I am not saying A5 hands down beats M2 or M3. But if someone can sit down and listen to both and actually prefer the A5 in many respects or even say they are both technically at the same 'level' or 'league' of performance. Then that is a massive win for the end user because they are getting incredible value out of the A5 when looking into magico's overall lineup.

Jan 16, 2013
NYC
Of course there are factors of room matching and synergy etc, but my experience and that of many friends is that the Magico M series is a clear step above in many technical categories over the S and A series. For example M series has more resolution, better imaging, larger soundstage. I directly compared the M2 to the S7 and found all these to be true ( and that was in the same room with same equipment). My friend compared A3 to M2 and found the M2 too be vastly superior in these domains to the point of it not even being close. Now all this makes sense. Its not uncommon for a more pricey model or higher tier speaker line to better a lesser line at least technically.

But sometimes you get a real value gem where a lesser priced speaker actually out performs higher priced speakers (all made by the same speaker maker). And that is really exciting. Now I am not saying A5 hands down beats M2 or M3. But if someone can sit down and listen to both and actually prefer the A5 in many respects or even say they are both technically at the same 'level' or 'league' of performance. Then that is a massive win for the end user because they are getting incredible value out of the A5 when looking into magico's overall lineup.
"real value gem"- You hit the nail on the head. The A5's have definitely delivered a "wild card" into the equation. The A5's are definitely worth a listen.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
That rohacell was a major turn-off for me, once I realized it was there. Hoping to listen to the M9 some day

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
Interesting, I always thought that the best part about Magico is the midrange.
Now with the A5 you can add the bass and the highs, for my ears (Did not hear the M9 yet).

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
From Stereophile (and many others) reviews, you get an opposite picture (I happen to do a lot of reading before buying the A5 ):

S5
“The Magico's upper-frequency farfield output, averaged across a 30° horizontal window centered on the tweeter axis (fig.3, blue trace above 300Hz), is impressively even overall”
M2
Magico's horizontal dispersion, referenced to the response on the tweeter axis, which thus appears as a straight line. The contour lines in this graph are evenly spaced throughout the midrange and treble, implying stable stereo imaging, and, commendably, the M2's on-axis balance in the treble is maintained to >30° to the sides.

Not too many speakers can maintain a >30° to the sides on-axis balance. This is exemplary dispersion.

Perhaps Mark, that seems to know a lot about speakers, can give us some measurable data to support his claims?

Jan 16, 2013
NYC
A few year old video from Magico for those that missed it in 2018.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high-end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing