Magico M9 >>>>Fulfillment

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Which is truly incredible. The fact that the M2 doesn't blow the A5 out of the water is really shocking given the A5 is what less than 1/3 the price of the M2 ?

Not sure of the point, I have people that hear the A3 or other non Magico speakers that sound really good as well at less than the $70K price point. No doubt the A5 sounds very good, but so do so many other speakers from many manufacturers as well as other models in the S line from Magico.

As I do these "shootouts" several times/week one thing I can tell you from my experience is the "winner" of the "shootouts" almost always varies from person to person.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Which is truly incredible. The fact that the M2 doesn't blow the A5 out of the water is really shocking given the A5 is what less than 1/3 the price of the M2 ?

I see your point, but, I am not so surprised by this actually, given the differences in woofer sizes and number and cabinet construction. Not having heard the A5 yet, I can imagine that if the things the M2 does better really matters to the customer, and he can afford the more expensive speaker, he will buy it. If what matters more to the customer's taste is what the A5 does better, then, he can save himself some money.

It's great that one can directly compare these two speakers in the same system and hear for himself how they differ. What I find interesting is how this new driver technology will find its way into future models. I think the three distinct lines are designed for different potential customers, but now there is enough overlap and technology differences, and there are so many models to choose from, that the potential customer has a lot of choices.
Magico seems to have a different approach to some other brands that develop a new style with new technology, and they they replace the old line with a whole new line. Magico's approach seems less holistic and they release one model at a time and seem to be very busy trying new things between releases.

Reactions: Rhapsody

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Of course there are factors of room matching and synergy etc, but my experience and that of many friends is that the Magico M series is a clear step above in many technical categories over the S and A series. For example M series has more resolution, better imaging, larger soundstage. I directly compared the M2 to the S7 and found all these to be true ( and that was in the same room with same equipment). My friend compared A3 to M2 and found the M2 too be vastly superior in these domains to the point of it not even being close. Now all this makes sense. Its not uncommon for a more pricey model or higher tier speaker line to better a lesser line at least technically.

But sometimes you get a real value gem where a lesser priced speaker actually out performs higher priced speakers (all made by the same speaker maker). And that is really exciting. Now I am not saying A5 hands down beats M2 or M3. But if someone can sit down and listen to both and actually prefer the A5 in many respects or even say they are both technically at the same 'level' or 'league' of performance. Then that is a massive win for the end user because they are getting incredible value out of the A5 when looking into magico's overall lineup.

Reactions: Rhapsody

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Of course there are factors of room matching and synergy etc, but my experience and that of many friends is that the Magico M series is a clear step above in many technical categories over the S and A series. For example M series has more resolution, better imaging, larger soundstage. I directly compared the M2 to the S7 and found all these to be true ( and that was in the same room with same equipment). My friend compared A3 to M2 and found the M2 too be vastly superior in these domains to the point of it not even being close. Now all this makes sense. Its not uncommon for a more pricey model or higher tier speaker line to better a lesser line at least technically.

But sometimes you get a real value gem where a lesser priced speaker actually out performs higher priced speakers (all made by the same speaker maker). And that is really exciting. Now I am not saying A5 hands down beats M2 or M3. But if someone can sit down and listen to both and actually prefer the A5 in many respects or even say they are both technically at the same 'level' or 'league' of performance. Then that is a massive win for the end user because they are getting incredible value out of the A5 when looking into magico's overall lineup.

"real value gem"- You hit the nail on the head. The A5's have definitely delivered a "wild card" into the equation. The A5's are definitely worth a listen.

Reactions: tobiasrankin

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
That rohacell was a major turn-off for me, once I realized it was there. Hoping to listen to the M9 some day

Reactions: Mark Warner

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
Interesting, I always thought that the best part about Magico is the midrange.
Now with the A5 you can add the bass and the highs, for my ears (Did not hear the M9 yet).

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
From Stereophile (and many others) reviews, you get an opposite picture (I happen to do a lot of reading before buying the A5 ):

S5
“The Magico's upper-frequency farfield output, averaged across a 30° horizontal window centered on the tweeter axis (fig.3, blue trace above 300Hz), is impressively even overall”
M2
Magico's horizontal dispersion, referenced to the response on the tweeter axis, which thus appears as a straight line. The contour lines in this graph are evenly spaced throughout the midrange and treble, implying stable stereo imaging, and, commendably, the M2's on-axis balance in the treble is maintained to >30° to the sides.

Not too many speakers can maintain a >30° to the sides on-axis balance. This is exemplary dispersion.

Perhaps Mark, that seems to know a lot about speakers, can give us some measurable data to support his claims?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
A few year old video from Magico for those that missed it in 2018.

Reactions: PierreB

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
I have a question. What does an M9 do that a Von Schweikert Ultra 9 or Ultra 11 not do musically and sonically? I never heard a Q or S series Magico I would own after hearing more than 15 to 18 (lost count) at audio shows. I have not heard an M series yet. Does the M series share the sterile sound as the Q (especially) and S series (less so) as well as the high power requirements?

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Frankly, if it was down to what I’ve heard at audio shows I’d be driving a nice 911 RS rather than listening to high-end audio. Audio shows have less than ideal rooms, are noisy and vibrate like crazy with both footfall and other vendors‘ bass energy, and have very noisy, over utilised mains, Their wi-fi is usually weak with over-shared bandwidth, their overall network is probably more polluted than the Seine River during the 80s, they have extremely questionable earth, with tons of noise and the air is like RFI/EMI soup. Things like mains sockets are often worn, loose, cheap and poorly maintained. Systems are often new, have only just been transported to the venue, are not always ideally paired up and matched due to economic reasons. Speaker position is optimized for multiple listeners, room RTs may be less than ideal and are constantly changing depending how many people are in the room.
Anyone who can get a system to sound 50% as good as it can under ideal conditions is a set-up guru who likely uses a well established system.
My home system is in a completely different league to practically everything I’ve heard at audio shows barring a very very few rooms that I can literally count on 1 hand. One example was AvantGarde. I bought a pair of Trios on the basis of what I heard at a show but that’s practically the only example of every hearing something I actually immediately wanted to own. For the most part, I take my music, ask for it to be played then marvel at how boring it sounds. Indeed some tracks I’m actually willing to finish it sounds so bad. After every hi-fi show I’ve visited Ive always had the same thought.....far too much money for the performance on offer. A good, well matched, well set-up $100,000 system should be stunning....utterly 3 dimensional, fully immersive beyond room filling....sonically it should define the listening space. How many systems have you heard at shows that blow you away in this regard? For me its very few, but maybe I’m going to the wrong shows:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I have a question. What does an M9 do that a Von Schweikert Ultra 9 or Ultra 11 not do musically and sonically? I never heard a Q or S series Magico I would own after hearing more than 15 to 18 (lost count) at audio shows. I have not heard an M series yet. Does the M series share the sterile sound as the Q (especially) and S series (less so) as well as the high power requirements?

You are letting time pass you by, the M series starting with the M-Project was announced I believe in 2013 or 2014. The M-Series is a completely different speaker than the Q series. The M-series speakers have been at shows for the last 5 or 6 years now.

As Blacmorec said if you are only evaluating speakers at audio shows, not to say audio shows are not fun and a good place to see what's going on with all of the manufacturers, you are probably missing the opportunity to really understand what speakers are capable of. The only way to know what speakers/systems REALLY sound like is in well set up, settled in systems in GOOD ROOMS, not hotel rooms with questionable power.

Of course you may prefer VS to Magico, but without hearing both systems in established systems it's all mental gymnastics, which is fun as well:) Enjoy your journey!

Reactions: Alrainbow

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
Blackmorec You are correct. The last audio show in Los Angeles I attended had four or five good rooms. Of course the music played in many rooms was inadequate to judge any system. The best room my wife and I ever heard was the Van Schweikert Ultra 11s on my own LP and CD of large percussion orchestra and of intimate jazz band. Totally immersive from any seat in that huge room as so many reviewers have stated over the years. Next was the Lumenwhite and surprisingly the Volti room. Harbeth sounded good as well as the Stein Music room. Also rans were small speakers. That was 3 years ago and there were no M series at the show with 6! Magico S and Q series speakers sounding mediocre at best (dark and closed in when run with Jadis tube amps, just okay with VAC equipment). My home system which cost about $70K in a $160K custom room kills 90% of showroom sound. Again, system matching, attention to vibration and acoustics is essential.

Rhapsody Hopefully there will be another local show within a year and I can hear the Magico M series. I suspect they still require ample power to drive. I heard Maggies 3.7i and 20.7 sound dreadful at a local showroom (new custom soundrooms) with boutique amps and shunyata cabling. The reason turned out to be brand new speakers and cabling. Closed in and hard sounding-the opposite of what I previously heard there on 3.7i driven with a theater McIntosh amp in a glass sided room with lesser cabling. Sometimes audio shows truly represent a product and sometimes they don't. If a show system sounds great or spectacular, it will usually sound as good in one's home.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Here is a video with M3's from 4 years ago with 50 Watt SET amps in a non-home systems with too much gear and too many speakers in the room, much less than ideal. So, it might not be something acceptable to you as you have heard so many Magico systems that you did not like, but a few people that I know liked this system very much, in much less than ideal conditions with very low power. Btw, the video was taken with a cell phone that cuts off at about 100Hz, sound in the room was very full bodied and not under driven.

Last edited:

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
Well, you are right. The M series are more efficient by 3 to 7 db compared to the current A and S series. This probably true of the former Q series as well. Funny, I get similar quality sound out of my current system, it's probably the recording (You Look Good To Me by O.Peterson,,,/We Get Requests-another video of M3s, although a poor recording
). I don't plan on using $150K amps though to get the sound in your video.

When there is another audio show in Southern California, I will listen to the M series. I would like to compare a Von Schweikert VR 55 or Ultra 55 to the M3, the latter in between the two pricewise.

Last edited:
Reactions: lordcloud

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Well, you are right. The M series are more efficient by 3 to 7 db compared to the current A and S series. This probably true of the former Q series as well. Funny, I get this quality sound out of my current system, it's probably the recording. When there is another audio show in Southern California, I will listen to the M series. I would like to compare a Von Schweikert VR 55 or Ultra 55 to the M3, the latter in between the two pricewise.

Take a list to the A5's if you get a chance, would enjoy hearing your impressions if you get to hear them. As you said hopefully in the future we will all be going to audio shows again. Be well until then!

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Magico M9 MXO, Analog Crossover, connects between the preamp and four channels of amplification. The
carefully crafted MXO handles bass/mid-bass frequency separation which allows for clarity and transparency through the entire frequency spectrum, including the lowest octaves. The MXO allows calibration of the mid-bass and bass for each M9 installation at the Xover level prior to the system amplification stages.
122117641_3326266017420497_2421803391544718593_o.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: lordcloud and ALF

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Reactions: ALF and Taiko Audio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing