Magico M9

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked, are you listening ;)

He is right. For horns you can not only triamp, but gave each SET delivering the bandwidth only of the driver it is on.

Reactions: gian60

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This speaker does have the shape as if YG had sex with Magico

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
This will be interesting. At $750K there are a lot of statement speakers that I would put ahead of the M9.

i know my Evolution's are below the radar of other statement speakers, but it sounds like M9's are simply approaching the technology of my 8 year old twin tower Evolution Acoustics MM7's.

80 inches tall (82" + 84" tall), -2- 15" powered tune-able subs (-4- 15" powered tune-able subs), 1000 pounds (1500 pounds), easy to drive, amp friendly 94db, 4 ohm (97db, 7 ohm).

the Evolution's also have exactly twice the driver surface.

i think the Magico is sexier to look at by far than the Evolution's. but when the lights are dim.......

and then there is the small matter of $200k (now 8 year old price ) verses $750k.....

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
My guess is if you have Q7's then the M9 is an upgrade in the Magico lineup. I can't see how these could compete with Mike's Evolution's. I'm sure it will get a rave review in the Absolute Sound. It's probably a great speaker if you into Magico's. The Boston group will get a look at them when Goodwin's receives a pair. Probably pair it with Boulder 3050 mono's in the big room.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
My guess is if you have Q7's then the M9 is an upgrade in the Magico lineup. I can't see how these could compete with Mike's Evolution's. I'm sure it will get a rave review in the Absolute Sound. It's probably a great speaker if you into Magico's. The Boston group will get a look at them when Goodwin's receives a pair. Probably pair it with Boulder 3050 mono's in the big room.

i see it a little differently.

speakers at this level are slaves to the context. the person owning the room where you place a WAMM, or M9 or Evolution Acoustics MM7 has much more to do with what you hear than which speaker is chosen.

none of these speakers limit the possibilities.

some speakers do allow for more flexible set-up than others....so have a larger up-side.

Last edited:
Reactions: CKKeung

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
the Ultimates requiring Tri-amping and the whole shabang needing DSP for all inputs spelled a death knell for this direction. the market would never (did never) support it.

tri-amped horns are in the DIY arena only.

Interesting observation... now that I think about it, I haven't seen first-hand any tri-or-more-amped systems which were not DIY.

I hope the Ultimates remain in Magico's line-up for purely selfish reasons: As the supreme counter-example to horn-haters.

Speaking of horns, my math says two kilowatts into 94 dB = 127 dB "on paper", implying that 6" cone and 1" dome are leaving many horns in the dust when it comes to SPL capability.

Edit: I see that the Ultimate is now listed as a "Legacy" product. Bummer.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
the Ultimates requiring Tri-amping and the whole shabang needing DSP for all inputs spelled a death knell for this direction. the market would never (did never) support it.

The M9 requires a 40 lbs crossover and a 60 lbs power supply. What does this exactly mean?

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
[QUOTE="Duke LeJeune, post: 654514, member: 4555"(...) I hope the Ultimates remain in Magico's line-up for purely selfish reasons: As the supreme counter-example to horn-haters.
(...) [/QUOTE]

A supreme counter-example that almost no one has listened and besides a few articles when they appeared then vanished in the air? IMHO it is something that horn-haters have loved! ;)

IMHO horns such as Living Voice created much more aura than the Ultimates.

Reactions: GMKF

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
The M9 requires a 40 lbs crossover and a 60 lbs power supply. What does this mean?

don't know.

but guessing that is the amplification for the active bass drivers and room adjustment circuitry. it's kept away from the tower cabinet for various reasons. maybe to keep the sexy profile there was not space. or resonance. not really sure.

Duke LeJeune

Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
The M9 requires a 40 lbs crossover and a 60 lbs power supply. What does this mean?

Alon might be using electrically biased capacitors in the crossover. The voltage applied to the capacitors needs to be higher than the voltage the amplifier might put out, and 2000 watts into 4 ohms = 89.4 volts. So maybe it's a 90-volt power supply.

A supreme counter-example that almost no one has listened and besides a few articles when they appeared then vanished in the air? IMHO it is something that horn-haters have loved! ;)

The counter-example goes something like this: Alon Wolf of Magico, who makes world-class direct-radiator speakers, chose horns for his top-of-the-line effort.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

Whatever happened to Stereo from this forum? He was gonna run the Ultimates with a military tech server, one Microsonics dac per channel etc.
Did he disappear into some Bermuda Triangle of unattainable ideals?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Alon might be using electrically biased capacitors in the crossover. The voltage applied to the capacitors needs to be higher than the voltage the amplifier might put out, and 2000 watts into 4 ohms = 89.4 volts. So maybe it's a 90-volt power supply.

The counter-example goes something like this: Alon Wolf of Magico, who makes world-class direct-radiator speakers, chose horns for his top-of-the-line effort.

Does this make for a faster cap having them precharged ..

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) The counter-example goes something like this: Alon Wolf of Magico, who makes world-class direct-radiator speakers, chose horns for his top-of-the-line effort.

And then decided to surpass it with a better and more expensive direct-radiator speaker ... ;)

Reactions: Duke LeJeune

Duke LeJeune

Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
And then decided to surpass it with a better and more expensive direct-radiator speaker ... ;)

Yeah, that kinda takes the wind outta my horn-shaped sails... I'll have to start saying that the counter-example went something like this...

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing