Magico M9

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Size does matter :)

With a large well designed speaker you can just relax / lay back and be sure all the freqs that are on the recording will be reproduced / heard .
If the low freqs are not on the recording (less bass / scale ) the system will automatically scale down and sound small/ intimate .
If you are used to a large speaker there is no going back
I agree with you.I don’t like small speakers at all.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I agree with you.I don’t like small speakers at all.
I m not really saying that either , one can have great sound in an appropriate room/ setting with smaller speakers as well .
Its just that if you want the whole freq band you need large FR speakers
And unfortunately they dont come cheap if they re well made.
8 inch woofers aint gonna cut it

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I m not really saying that either , one can have great sound in an appropriate room/ setting with smaller speakers as well .
Its just that if you want the whole freq band you need large FR speakers
And unfortunately they dont come cheap if they re well made.
8 inch woofers aint gonna cut it
I understand what you mean but I am used to very big speakers like magnapan 30.7s.small speakers cart reproduce scale and height in a recording like big speakers do.

Reactions: sujay

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
You d be amazed how much smaller speakers already roll off below 60 hz
A lot of smaller speakers dont have a bass foundation
A piece of the music is just simply missing
Which "smaller speakers already roll off below 60Hz"? Stand mount, sure, full range, data shows almost none roll of starting at 60Hz. Heck, my office system's KEF R3 monitors with a little 6.5" woofer don't start to roll off until the low 50s. With room gain, even lower.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Which "smaller speakers already roll off below 60Hz"? Stand mount, sure, full range, data shows almost none roll of starting at 60Hz. Heck, my office system's KEF R3 monitors with a little 6.5" woofer don't start to roll off until the low 50s. With room gain, even lower.
They might not roll of at 60 but what ever bass there is below that in a small speaker will be weak.small book shelf speakers cannot do bass properly.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Small speaker roll-off is an interesting topic. It might be interesting thread for someone to start. Not much to do with this M9 thread.

Reactions: sujay

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Bob, do you anticipate that you will be making any system videos once the M9 is set up in your Brooklyn location?

I have always considered Magico speakers, especially the top line, to be fairly transparent to the rest of the system and room, so I suspect in these M9 videos we are hearing the room and the rest of the system rather than the speaker, but it would be fascinating to confirm by listening to other videos.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
They might not roll of at 60 but what ever bass there is below that in a small speaker will be weak.small book shelf speakers cannot do bass properly.
You mentioned 8" woofers "ain't gonna cut it". So, which is it, monitors or speakers with 8" woofers (which aren't monitors)? And speakers with 8" woofers can go way lower than 60Hz.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Bob, do you anticipate that you will be making any system videos once the M9 is set up in your Brooklyn location?

I have always considered Magico speakers, especially the top line, to be fairly transparent to the rest of the system and room, so I suspect in these M9 videos we are hearing the room and the rest of the system rather than the speaker, but it would be fascinating to confirm by listening to other videos.
Hi Peter,

Actually right now, who knows??? I have no desire thinking about it today to make videos with the M9s in my location. I just want to hear and play with them:p

Life has changed for me. I have a MUCH more relaxed environment that I am in since my move. At the same time, in the last two weeks I sold three pair of Alsyvox, a full Pilium system and three pairs of Bayz Counterpoint speakers (two to RLRs) and two pair of Bayz Courantes to two other RLRs.

Sales are off the charts like never before and that is without the RLRs starting to roll. SO......

I REALLY look forward to our initial M9 installation in the Dallas RLR, which is scheduled for sometime in Q1, 22. We already have a few VERY interested M9 potential customers waiting for this first installation.

Then when my M9s are installed after the Dallas installation, who knows what I will be thinking at that time. I sort of doubt that I will have a desire to post videos of the M9s. We will host visitors, as will Dallas as Alon already is hosting visitors to hear the M9s at "Magico Mecca".

With three locations in the US available for M9 demonstrations I don't see much purpose in doing videos. Pics for sure, videos, probably not. No purpose to it from where I sit.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75 and PeterA

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Is there not a guy who does video reviews? AV Showrooms.
3 locations to demo the M9. Is that a traveling show or three permanent exhibits?

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Reactions: jackelsson and sbo6

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Is there not a guy who does video reviews? AV Showrooms.
3 locations to demo the M9. Is that a traveling show or three permanent exhibits?
The 3 locations (Hayward, Dallas/FW and Brooklyn) will be permanent M9 installations.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
It won’t do bass like a large speakers with the same response.
depends on the room, a Magico would sound terrible at 20 square meters at high volume, a Geithain not promised. A loudspeaker has to fit the room, so you can't generalize that big speakers are always better in my opinion.I don't mean bad, that's what I learned after 30 years of HiFi

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
You mentioned 8" woofers "ain't gonna cut it". So, which is it, monitors or speakers with 8" woofers (which aren't monitors)? And speakers with 8" woofers can go way lower than 60Hz.

Can we please stop discussing random irrelvant loudspeakers on this Magico M9 thread?

Thank you.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Do you think I pair of m9s will ever make it to Australia? I’m very keen on hearing these amazing speakers.
No idea really. I don't know the Magico dealers in AU. Unless a Magico dealer brings them in or someone from AU buys them then ???

Get on airplane and come for a visit next year!

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing