Magico M9

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Thank you! I don't think my MacBook Pro did that justice but very nice to see/hear.

Question for everyone here:
Can larger speakers such as this produce the same pinpoint imaging of a smaller speaker?
(if set up correctly, including the room)

Would a singer (or a violin etc) sound any taller, wider, etc on a larger speaker?
Would the larger speaker sound any less intimate playing, for example, a small jazz or classical ensemble?
Absolutely! The M9 did all these things much better than the XVX. That was one stand out feature I noticed when listening to the M9s.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
depends on the room, a Magico would sound terrible at 20 square meters at high volume, a Geithain not promised. A loudspeaker has to fit the room, so you can't generalize that big speakers are always better in my opinion.I don't mean bad, that's what I learned after 30 years of HiFi
Not sure anyone would put a pair of M9s in a 20 Sq. meter room. OR even think about it. I surely would not sell someone M9s if they only had a 20 sq. ft room available. I have to live with the customers that purchase M9s, so a lot goes into looking at a proposed room for an M9 installation.

My room which is quite small at a bit under 40 Sq. meters for an M9 installation will be a tight squeeze. Although I am determined to make them work to MY satisfaction in my room as I have a few interested M9 customers with similar size rooms so we are going to give it a whirl.

The Dallas and Magico M9 installations are closer to 50 Sq. Meters so no issues in those rooms.

Reactions: bonzo75

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Can we please stop discussing random irrelvant loudspeakers on this Magico M9 thread?

Thank you.
Ron,

I can point you to numerous threads on WBF with spurious tangential topics, it's called a conversation. Should they also be moved? IMO:

A) Is it really detracting from the volume of traffic specific to the OP and M9s? - no
B) Is it relevant to audio and speakers - yes
C) Is the conversation becoming personal and in any way truly deleterious to the main topic - no.

IMO this is supposed to be an educational, fruitful dialogue; roads have many forks worthy of exploring.

Steve

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron,

I can point you to numerous threads on WBF with spurious tangential topics, it's called a conversation. Should they also be moved? IMO:

A) Is it really detracting from the volume of traffic specific to the OP and M9s? - no
C) Is the conversation becoming personal and in any way truly deleterious to the main topic - no.

IMO this is supposed to be an educational, fruitful dialogue; roads have many forks worthy of exploring.

Steve

All fair enough, Steve. I'm just trying to steer us back to the topic of this thread.

Reactions: sbo6

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Not sure anyone would put a pair of M9s in a 20 Sq. meter room. OR even think about it. I surely would not sell someone M9s if they only had a 20 sq. ft room available. I have to live with the customers that purchase M9s, so a lot goes into looking at a proposed room for an M9 installation.

My room which is quite small at a bit under 40 Sq. meters for an M9 installation will be a tight squeeze. Although I am determined to make them work to MY satisfaction in my room as I have a few interested M9 customers with similar size rooms so we are going to give it a whirl.

The Dallas and Magico M9 installations are closer to 50 Sq. Meters so no issues in those rooms.
Just fyi, the room shown in the M9 videos is 50 Sq. Metres.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Not off hand. I am guessing 18-20 ft?
Thats about what it looked like taking into the account the width of the M9s and the 5500's along with the empty spaces in between.....thx

Reactions: howiebrou

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX

I'm looking forward to hearing the M9s in the Dallas location. I've heard the M3s several times and they're excellent speakers IMO.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I'm looking forward to hearing the M9s in the Dallas location. I've heard the M3s several times and they're excellent speakers IMO.
Me too:) I'm hoping to learn a lot about the installation that happens in Dallas prior to my install which will follow. Chris (RLR/Dallas) will have a more appropriate size room vs my room for the M9s so they should actually be very similar to Alon's set up in Hayward. I say that because 90% (Extreme server, Pilium pre/amps, cabling) will all be the same. Only the DACs are different. The rooms are very similar in size as well.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Ron,

Steve

This.

+1000.

Reactions: sbo6 and MRJAZZ

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

You also need height. Probably 2 feet or so minimum, better 3 feet or more, between uppermost driver and ceiling. I have seen big Wilson XVX speaker installations with the speakers almost going up to the ceiling. That's asking for trouble.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
You also need height. Probably 2 feet or so minimum, better 3 feet or more, between uppermost driver and ceiling. I have seen big Wilson XVX speaker installations with the speakers almost going up to the ceiling. That's asking for trouble.
My thoughts exactly seeing the first owner's room. Those speakers need room. They look about as big as the Arrakis which, having heard many times really breath well with 12' ceilings and in a ~650 sq ft room. The sound stage is reproduced from the floor to the ceiling depending on source material. I'm fairly certain the 12' ceiling partially enables this. Of course, I still wouldn't turn down a chance to hear the M9s in a vertically challenged room :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The 3 locations (Hayward, Dallas/FW and Brooklyn) will be permanent M9 installations.
Brooklyn is just an Amtrak ride away.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Small speaker roll-off is an interesting topic. It might be interesting thread for someone to start. Not much to do with this M9 thread.
Come on man! It’s kinda small...isn’t it...just a bit on the smallish side with limited extension...a wee bit of a giant thing...:D

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Trouble is my middle name. I'll be fine, I've been installing 7' tall speakers in peoples homes/rooms for 20 years. 20+ pairs.

Reactions: bonzo75

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
My thoughts exactly seeing the first owner's room. Those speakers need room. They look about as big as the Arrakis which, having heard many times really breath well with 12' ceilings and in a ~650 sq ft room. The sound stage is reproduced from the floor to the ceiling depending on source material. I'm fairly certain the 12' ceiling partially enables this. Of course, I still wouldn't turn down a chance to hear the M9s in a vertically challenged room :)
Sure, if someone is building a room for large speakers then you build out 11' foot 12' ceilings. Alon has done this in Hayward, we are also doing this in Dallas.

BUT I am installing the M9s in my place, which only has 10' ceilings because there are a LOT of customers that only have 9' or 10' ceilings. I want to see how they work. I've also installed 10+ Goldmund systems that were 77" high. In one case the customer had an Ocean home and the listening room was in the basement with 84" inch high ceilings. He wanted to try it, so we did it.

He kept the speakers for 15 years and listened to them every day and loved them. All kinds of music. Would they sound better in a larger room, SURE. Did he have a larger room where he wanted to listen, no. Did he understand all of this prior to installation, yes. He had owned the large IRS in the past and understood large speaker installation.

I've installed hundreds of speakers in the last 50 years. I would say maybe 25% had ideal room dimensions. A LOT of customers that have the $$$ and want larger speakers only have X amount of room. They still want large speakers. They understand that they won't sound the same or as good as if they had a larger room, BUT they still can be made to sound REALLY GOOD and acceptable for them to enjoy listening to music.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Sorry guys i must apologize for bringing this up .
It was never my intention to discriminate against small speakers whatsoever
Speakers are all equal and each of them fully deserve their place . :)

Your political correctness joke is hilarious, but even among "size groups" not all speakers are equal, neither in quality nor actual size.

Also, not all rooms are equal. it is equally problematic to put too big speakers into a too small room as it is trying to fill a large room with too small speakers.

Many audiophiles have too large speakers for their rooms.

In addition, while a large speaker may have more potential, it also may take a lot of effort to have it play at its potential, or at least reasonably close to it. If it does not, it may actually sound worse, way worse, than a smaller speaker.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
There are measurements of the loudspeaker frequency response, the impulse response or the waterfall diagram. From this you can very well draw conclusions for the installation in the room and the size of the room.magico are probably excellent speakers in the right room, can be adapted with active xover.;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing