Mark Levinson on today’s audio industry

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: Lagonda
“Today, what I feel is that the high-end audio world has become a racket, a mafia that tries to take as much money as possible from music lovers. It has nothing to do with the original spirit of the whole thing, which was to use engineering and craftsmanship in the service of music and reproducing recordings,’’ Levinson asserts."

"Aside from this, Levinson also criticizes the stagnation in technological advancement within the industry. According to him, companies often rely on old technologies. Yet, they repackage these with high price tags and market them as “new innovations”."

- This is shocking - has he not read from the smart, discerning forum posters here who said things always progress and new better than old, so will pay up more?

“Today, what I feel is that the high-end audio world has become a racket, a mafia that tries to take as much money as possible from music lovers. It has nothing to do with the original spirit of the whole thing, which was to use engineering and craftsmanship in the service of music and reproducing recordings,’’ Levinson asserts."
Can relate to the above overall, but can't relate with him per se, selling his gear for those same crazy prices...

Can relate to the above overall, but can't relate with him per se, selling his gear for those same crazy prices...

Oh I have nothing against manufacturers making money only against the audiophiles who don’t get the difference.

Reactions: Young Skywalker

This is the same observation of the state of current affairs as I what I have been calling “The Great Audiophile Swindle” being perpetuated by the high-end audio industry on gullible consumers with deep pockets and big egos.

That “old” spirit Mark Levinson speaks about the audio hobby in the 1970’s and 1980’s, is still alive and well, actually thriving, in the DIY Audio Community. So that touch still burns for audio excellence, instead of profits and status trophies. That spirit for advancement and excellence lives on but just not in the mainstream high-end audio world.

Last edited:
Reactions: Verdier and Golum
I don't know what qualifies as "high end", but here's an example of a company coming out with a very well regarded product for 40.000€ and then packaging the same technology into a more affordable version at 7000€:

One of the problems is that audiophile consumers often won't even consider a product if it is affordable!

Last edited:
"Aside from this, Levinson also criticizes the stagnation in technological advancement within the industry. According to him, companies often rely on old technologies. Yet, they repackage these with high price tags and market them as “new innovations”."

- This is shocking - has he not read from the smart, discerning forum posters here who said things always progress and new better than old, so will pay up more?

I agree with Mark Levinson’s feelings on this also. Currently the cutting edge of audio technologies are emerging in the DIY Audio Community. Many high-end manufacturers are just repackaging old technologies in bigger, heavier, and more ostentatious enclosures to mascara designs as superior or novel.

Some current audio manufacturers, will not name them but they know who they are, have even monetized freely share circuits and designs from the DIY Community not intended for commercial use. One manufacturer in particular has made a name for itself by exploiting these circuits, concepts, and ideas shared freely in the DIY Audio Community that were clearly not intended for commercial use.

Last edited:
I have a problem with irony thicker than a whale omlette.

My feeling is that is okay to get scam if you realize it and willingly accept it, but the issue is that most don’t realize that they are getting scammed.

Even a good apple can turn into a bad apple if you let it.

Last edited:
Reactions: howiebrou
I agree with a couple of Mark's points. I agree with him that industry magazines tend to feature products from advertisers, not necessarily those with the best value or performance.

I'm also thinking about many cable prices. I'm thinking about the seeming price competition to see who can ask the most money for flagship loudspeakers. But Mark weakens his argument by grossly overgeneralizing. Maybe he's correct about some cable manufacturers.

But I disagree with other of his main points. Does "engineering and craftsmanship in the service of music and reproducing recordings" not accurately describe, without limitation, off the top of my head at 3:50 AM, Absolare, Aesthetix, Acora, ARC, Devore, Songer, VSA, VAC, VTL, United Home Audio, Alsyvox, Clarisys, Diptyque, Magnepan, Thomas Mayer, Rockport, Wave Kinetics, Vintage Audio Specialties, Durand, Sablon, Zesto, Graham, WestminsterLab, and dozens and dozens and dozens of other manufacturers in our industry, and the products of almost every other component manufacturer you have in your home stereo system?

Does "engineering and craftsmanship in the service of music and reproducing recordings" really not describe even the likes of Boulder and Wilson Audio?

I think it's significantly disingenuous in that now that Mark is a small, boutique manufacturer he is just "talking his book." Now, as a small manufacturer, it is convenient for him to rail against the larger manufacturers, of which he used to be one.

I don't know the answer to this question, but I would be curious to know the inflation-adjusted numbers on Mark Levinson product prices from the 1970s and 1980s.

And don't forget the entry-level products of each of the companies whose flagship products seem to have made-up prices.

Carlos and Kedar appear to be missing the irony, because Mark's comments invite them to bang their usual drums.

Last edited:
There is some truth in what Mark is saying.

But I think it's significantly disingenuous in that now that Mark is a small, boutique manufacturer he is just "talking his book." Now, as a small manufacturer, it is convenient for him to rail against the larger manufacturers, of which he used to be one.

Carlos and Kedar appear to be missing the irony, because Mark's comments invite them to bang their usual drums.
And they are against your usual drums of quoting large flagship speakers with high price, many of which you get revenue for when sold. And we all know Bonzo is the best drummer.

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda
And they are against your usual drums of quoting large flagship speakers with high price, many of which you get revenue for when sold.
Sorry, you genuinely lost me. Do you mean my Audio Café as Clarisys Audio dealer project?

Sorry, you lost me. Do you mean my Audio Café as Clarisys Audio dealer project?

No. The revenue streams from high priced gear sold via the forum. There is no revenue from vintage low priced gear sold without industry margin

And we all know Bonzo is the best drummer.
You know I agree with you that current, contemporary manufacturers overlook certain sonically timeless vintage technologies.

You know I agree with you that current, contemporary manufacturers overlook certain sonically timeless vintage technologies.

They are nowhere as good as those technologies for audio in certain areas, and much more overpriced, is the point

Reactions: Audiohertz2
No. The revenue streams from high priced gear sold via the forum.
What are you talking about?

"large flagship speakers with high price, many of which you get revenue for when sold" does not accurately describe the WBF advertising business model.

WBF does not get revenue when a "large flagship speaker with high price [the manufacturer of which advertises on WBF is sold]." WBF has no commission business or profit participation business whatsoever. (That's a pretty irresponsible claim.)

WBF does not get any commission when something advertised in the WBF classifieds section is sold.

Reactions: Argonaut

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing