Maxx 3

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
will Pass Labs XA 100.5's adequately power the Maxx 3's ? I am currently running W/P 8's w/o power/load issues. Would have them in a small well trapped room 16x16x8. Looking to hear from Maxx 3owners. From what I have read, the Maxx 2's were a more demanding load than the newer 3's...

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
will Pass Labs XA 100.5's adequately power the Maxx 3's ?...

No..... My 3 choices were the Maxx3, ISIS and the Focal Maestro. The ISIS was the hardest to drive and really didn't open up. The Maxx3 was better but turning up the volume, the amps meters were bouncing like VU meters and the sound felt constrained.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
hmmm, conflicting views. Are Alexandria's easier to drive than Maxx 3's ? If I needed more watts for the Maxx 3's and didn't for the Alexandria's X2 series 2, the cost differential is almost a wash (buying lightly used X2's). Is my room too small for Alexandria's ? I suppose I could go the MM2 route since the bass is self powered...

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
IMO your room is indeed probably too small for X-2's and yes they are easier to drive than Maxx lll's. I am using a 32 wpc amp to drive my X-2's

I do believe your Pass amps will drive the Maxx lll's better than your WP 8's as the former are more efficient.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
IMO your room is indeed probably too small for X-2's and yes they are easier to drive than Maxx lll's. I am using a 32 wpc amp to drive my X-2'st.

The EA MM3's are exactly the same size as the X-2's and they work in my room really well.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Not A Wilson owner

Ia a room can take a Maxx-3 it will take an X-2. For the money I would have taken the used X-2 ... I have heard larger speakers in room as small as Rockitman and they fared well.. Room were very well treated with diffusion and Bass traps ... And I am fan of big power even when the speakers are efficient which the X-2 surely are (94? 95? dB/w/m) ... I would not pass a used X-2 for a new MAXX-3
My $0.02....

Steve Williams

you can buy new X-2's at Paragon audio in almost any color for $75K

X-2's in a smaller room IMO would sound bloated even though they are front ported. X-2's are 95 db efficient

Maxx lll's are 91 db efficient and WP 8's are 92 Db efficient

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I do believe your Pass amps will drive the Maxx lll's better than your WP 8's as the former are more efficient.

This is the crux of the issue for me. I am happy with the volume levels I achieve with my 8's and the amp's really don't break a sweat. If the Maxx 3's are truly an easier load than the W/P 8's, they are a conceivable upgrade for me. I'm not really interested in buying new more powerful amps. If I could get away with the X-2's in my 16x16x8 room at their current used going rate...I could have some sleepless nights ahead contemplating whether to purchase those monsters or not. I sit 9 feet away from my 8's right now.

Steve Williams

This is the crux of the issue for me. I am happy with the volume levels I achieve with my 8's and the amp's really don't break a sweat. If the Maxx 3's are truly an easier load than the W/P 8's, they are a conceivable upgrade for me. I'm not really interested in buying new more powerful amps. If I could get away with the X-2's in my 16x16x8 room at their current used going rate...I could have some sleepless nights ahead contemplating whether to purchase those monsters or not. I sit 9 feet away from my 8's right now.

I sit 13 feet back from mine

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I would not pass a used X-2 for a new MAXX-3
My $0.02....

I think no one would do it. Also I know some current owners of Maxx3's are selling the Maxx3 cheap to get an used X-2 ... ;)

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I'm listening to Pass XA100.5 driving my X2-2 right now while my ARC Ref 610s are back at ARC. No problem what so ever, although I don't listen very loud. I think if you look at some of the rooms you can see in on line pictures you'll see Alexandrias in rooms the size of yours. I had Grand Slamms in a 17 x 14 room for years with great results. I'll bet you can get an upgraded pair of X2 fresh from the factory for $55K, maybe less at this point. Mine will be gone next week at this time too.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
i vote X2. I have heard X1 and X2 in small rooms, and when properly set up they are tremendous. As wilson will confirm, properly set up is all the difference. I spoke with Peter McGrath last nite, and we both agreed that the main reason my X1s sound so good is because of the 2 guys who set them up, namely the GM of the Distributorship who really knows his stuff...and whom both Wilson, Transparent and other major names consider to be best-in-class in knowledge, experience and technical expertise.

If you get the X2, i doubt you'll regret it over Max IIIs particularly for the money, and i am told one of the [many] reasons for the reconfiguration of the X2 woofer (originally from one of their subs i believe) was that it helped integrate the speakers a little bit more easily into smaller rooms for the Asian and European markets.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
i vote X2. I have heard X1 and X2 in small rooms, and when properly set up they are tremendous. As wilson will confirm, properly set up is all the difference. I spoke with Peter McGrath last nite, and we both agreed that the main reason my X1s sound so good is because of the 2 guys who set them up, namely the GM of the Distributorship who really knows his stuff...and whom both Wilson, Transparent and other major names consider to be best-in-class in knowledge, experience and technical expertise.

If you get the X2, i doubt you'll regret it over Max IIIs particularly for the money, and i am told one of the [many] reasons for the reconfiguration of the X2 woofer (originally from one of their subs i believe) was that it helped integrate the speakers a little bit more easily into smaller rooms for the Asian and European markets.

now I'm really starting to get speaker distracted....I have Alexandria on the brain....

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
...know the feeling! i am thinking about 2nd hand transport...which i have been hunting for at the right price for nearly 5 years since getting the DAC! Enjoy!

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
The vote goes to the X-2 !

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Unfortunate set of dimensions. Multiple of 8 feet in all three dimensions means some really nasty and non linear response in the bass. LOTS of bass trapping and room correction will be necessary to extract the most from whatever speaker you use.

I was thinking that, but I kept my mouth shut. A perfectly square room with the ceiling being exactly one half of the other two room dimensions is not on anyone's list of qualities for a good sounding room. But, we all have to play the cards we are dealt with.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing