Modern speakers vs Vintage speakers

did you attend ETF this year?

did you attend ETF this year?
In 2020 and 2021 it did not take place due to corona. I didn't get any information, otherwise a friend reported. I hope the situation will be better next year.I think it takes place in Normandy France.
Some photos from Holger Barske ETF 2018

yeah my best friend just returned, it was the last at Normandy as I heard, next three should be in Netherlands or Belgium from what I recall.

Reactions: DasguteOhr
Western Electric We 43 (Year1929) 20 watt per chanel 211 tubes

I've seen some pictures from ETF 2021, amongst others the We13a, would have loved to hear that IRL....perhaps next year!

you have a link? pleasssse:eek:

Western Electric We 43 (Year1929) 20 watt per chanel 211 tubes
I had listened to this original WE amp about 6 years ago at my friend's listening room.

It sounds natural with nice details and dynamics.

Replica is availale at 50k$.

But I am not sure how good replica is. ;)

without the right parts it'll never be more than a visual replica, which IMO is vastly overpriced...at those prices you can commission a very nice custom amp using exotic tubes and keep 40k to buy the software to run through it...

without the right parts it'll never be more than a visual replica, which IMO is vastly overpriced...at those prices you can commission a very nice custom amp using exotic tubes and keep 40k to buy the software to run through it...

Another one at 70K$.

Since I had been enjoying Line Magnetic 508 for 4 years with Nos tubes in it, I will not denigrate there sincere effort. :cool:

Of course, it is better to get genuine WE amps, if you can.

My dream is to get genuine WE big horn system with field coils.

I had found one at 270k$ two years ago, but I could not shell out money at the time.

Thus I had better save money to get the genuine one rather than spending money on small gadgets.

Last edited:

Another one at 70K$.

Since I had been enjoying Line Magnetic 508 for 4 years with Nos tubes in it, I will not denigrate there sincere effort. :cool:

Of course, it is better to get genuine WE amps, if you can.

My dream is to get genuine WE big horn system with field coils.

I had found one at 270k$ two years ago, but I could not shell out money at the time.

Thus I had better save money to get the genuisne one rather than spending money on small gadgets.
That’s AUD $93,353… but there is a $2 off coupon available on that… so that’s pretty good :eek:

Last time seen on ebay 2016 a pair we 43 amps orginal sold for 32.400$WE_43A_theatre_amp.jpg

Last edited:
Are you Stephan Goetze of Gecom?
No. my cash on delivery also starts with G;). I just read only his blog very interesting.

When you need a little speaker,i forget Monitor audio from britain.
The Gold dome tweeter is amazing. Is this vintage i don't know 30 years old.

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

l received Cayin 300b push pull amp this afternoon.

For testing, I had run the amp with all original tubes to drive Altec A7.

It gave lot of potential with warmer sound but some coarse edge bothered me.

I had decided to do tube rolling step by step, starting from 6sn7 tube, then ECC82(12au7), ECC83 and at last 300b tubes.

I have more than 100 kinds of NOS 6sn7 or variant, but I had decided to try Sylvania 6f8g which give neutral sound with some full warmth.

Wow, after changing stock 6sn7( some Russian or Chiness new production) with Sylvania 6f8g, it give much more refined sound with less coarse edge.

The above Youtube video was taken with all stock tubes.

But I will upload the one after Sylvania 6f8g pretty soon.

Last edited:

This one is after Sylvania 6f8g. :)

Can you notice much cleaenr sound with less edge?

As a next step, I will replace stock quad ECC82 tubes with quad

TUNG SOL USA JTL 5814 12AU7 ..​

Last edited:
Oh my God!

After I replace
quad ECC82 tubes with quad

TUNG SOL USA JTL 5814 12AU7, it sound somewhat relaxed and warm.​

I will upload the video pretty soon.

The next step is to replace stock ECC 83 with Telefuken ECC 83.

The last step iis to replace quad stock 300b tube with Psavne Acme 300b tubes.

Now I get the impression that this Cayin 300b pp could be killer amp with Altec A7 after all tube rolling.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing