Modern speakers vs Vintage speakers

MJG

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2018
Liechtenstein

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

I belately found that Pap C1 active crossover is very sensitive to power cable and mechanical isolation as other pre amp.

Symphosium Rollerblock undeer Pap C1 make it sound much more faster and detailed.

This Korean singer is called "Korean Madonna" .

She is 53 years old but not married yet.

My Altec sounds fast as ESL but with more oomph in bass.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

I put separate isolation transformer for Pap C1 active crossover,

Ater this, treble sound more nuanced and bass got tighter with more punch.

Wow I will order regulated linear power supply to replace original switching power supply.

;)

Reactions: morricab

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

The sound of my sytem got transformed after I put separate isolation transformer and Isoaccousitc Bordeax foot for Pap C1 active crossover.

It was a bottleneck for the sound.

I wonder how much the sound will change after I install regulated LPS on Pap C1 active crossover. :(

Bi amped Altec A7 using active crossover could be very nice speaker.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

I replaced switchng power supply of Pap C1 active crossover with Farad 3 linear power supply (Synergistc purple fuse, level 2 silver power cable).

It is not day and night difference but substantial improvement in clean treble and speedy bass.

This review on Farad 3 is almost spot on.l

My next step wll be to upgrade my Dac (Chord Dave and Mscaler).

The potental candidates are Lamp Horizon and Ideon Absolute.

I look forward to auditioing Ideon Absolute.this coming Saturday at dealer's shop.

Now my Altec A7 system does not sound like typical vintage speaker. ;)

I also consider trying Accuphase crossover instead of Pap C1 designed by Nelson Pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sampajanna

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
cool system! Those bass tubes are wicked! Well done!

Reactions: thomask

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
what are those subwoofers?

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
very interested to see what Dac you choose. I had a HMS + Dave for a long time. I have Pacific now with a Horizon on the way….

Reactions: christoph

rooze

Dec 29, 2012
USA
audioresurgence.com
@thomask

I've enjoyed reading through your journey with the A7 and I think they sound fantastic in your YouTube clips, particularly the recent one with the speaker cable changes.

I recently bought a 'project' pair of Altec Valencias and I'm looking at upgrading the crossovers. Do you happen to know if there's a way to change the frequency range in the PAP C1 to lift the max to 800hz from 550hz? I've written to Nelson Pass on this but haven't heard back yet.

My other thoughts for the XO are to try the Lyngdorf that you mentioned, but it seemed to be a complicated arrangement. I owned a TDAi2200 some years ago and used it to run a set of Oris 150 stacked horns, with a Digi-out to a Tact digital amp for the bass towers, and it worked quite well. But I like my 300b monoblocks on the Valencias or the First Watt J2.

For subwoofers, I also have the Crown XLS2502 that you have and use a miniDSP 2x4HD to set the crossover points and add a little EQ, with the Crown powering a pair of passive subs (Aerial SW12 with plate amps removed). So I could try the miniDSP on the Valencias as a XO, but I've read it should only be done with measuring equipment to get the time alignment (phase) set properly between horn and woofer. Even though I have the UMIK-1 and REW software, I'm reluctant to start to mess with this, I'd prefer a more turnkey active solution if such a thing exists. It sounds like your c1 might be a solution if I can change that XO point.

Any tips would be most welcomed!!

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
@thomask

I've enjoyed reading through your journey with the A7 and I think they sound fantastic in your YouTube clips, particularly the recent one with the speaker cable changes.

I recently bought a 'project' pair of Altec Valencias and I'm looking at upgrading the crossovers. Do you happen to know if there's a way to change the frequency range in the PAP C1 to lift the max to 800hz from 550hz? I've written to Nelson Pass on this but haven't heard back yet.

My other thoughts for the XO are to try the Lyngdorf that you mentioned, but it seemed to be a complicated arrangement. I owned a TDAi2200 some years ago and used it to run a set of Oris 150 stacked horns, with a Digi-out to a Tact digital amp for the bass towers, and it worked quite well. But I like my 300b monoblocks on the Valencias or the First Watt J2.

For subwoofers, I also have the Crown XLS2502 that you have and use a miniDSP 2x4HD to set the crossover points and add a little EQ, with the Crown powering a pair of passive subs (Aerial SW12 with plate amps removed). So I could try the miniDSP on the Valencias as a XO, but I've read it should only be done with measuring equipment to get the time alignment (phase) set properly between horn and woofer. Even though I have the UMIK-1 and REW software, I'm reluctant to start to mess with this, I'd prefer a more turnkey active solution if such a thing exists. It sounds like your c1 might be a solution if I can change that XO point.

Any tips would be most welcomed!!
I had not done any measurement so no opinion on boost from 800 hz to 550 hz.

But they have two nobs to adjust crossover slope.

The only bothering thing so far is slight hard edge which got ameliorated much since I had put more isolation under it and changed original switching power supply to Farad 3 linear supply.

You never know until you try.

Your source can also play some role whether vinyl or Dac.

Last edited:
Reactions: rooze

rooze

Dec 29, 2012
USA
audioresurgence.com
I had not done any measurement so no opinion on boost from 800 hz to 550 hz.

But hey have two nobs to adjust crossover slope.

The only bothering thing so far is slight hard edge which got ameliorated much since I had put more isolation under it and changed original switching power supply to Farad 3 linear supply.

You never know until you try.

Your source can also play some role whether vinyl or Dac.
Thanks!

I just heard back from Nelson Pass, he says: "... the PAP goes nearly to 800 Hz already. I suggest that you set it to the highest frequency on the boards and see what you get."

So maybe I will give this a try.

Though I'm thinking long and hard about trying another Lyngdorf, either the one you had or the 3400. I'm just not sure how this will function as an active XO on a 2-way speaker, since its design concept is more geared towards 2+2. Will its Room Perfect feature provide phase matching of the two drivers in the Valencia? Probably not. Will it sound better than the passive XO that I'm using now? Who knows.

Using a TDAi 2170 has the potential of replacing a Denafrips Terminator DAC, Denafrips GAIA DDC, a Veloce battery-powered preamp, a First Watt J2, and various power supplies, cables, etc .....and resolving my XO dilemma!! So there's certainly a financial motivation for it to work. Whether or not it will play nice with my vinyl front end is another concern.

Ohh boy.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Accuphase F25 is 30 years old and no longer manufactured.

They produce digital crossover called DF65 now

But Pap C1 was brand new manufactured last year.

Thus semi vintage active crossover won over modern one. :cool:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Accuphase F25 is 30 years old and no longer manufactured.

They produce digital crossover called DF65 now

But Pap C1 was brand new manufactured last year.

Thus semi vintage active crossover won over modern one. :cool:
My next active will be a Marchand X126 tube crossover

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing