Modern speakers vs Vintage speakers

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
You should do it Thomas. Life is too short for what if’s… it’s good to be able to take things to your own summit.

Reactions: thomask

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
You should do it Thomas. Life is too short for what if’s… it’s good to be able to take things to your own summit.

My Altec A7 sounds good enough.

But audiophile tend to be greedy.
;)

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

I am still in the process of tuniing Altec A7 with active biamping.

It is not quite perfect yet, but I enjoy the sound.

The nice thing is that I can adjust the volume of treble horn through remote control.

Thus I can adjust overall tone very easily.

If it sounds bright, then I turn it down.

If too bass heavy, I turn it up

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

I am still in the process of tuniing Altec A7 with active biamping.

It is not quite perfect yet, but I enjoy the sound.

The nice thing is that I can adjust the volume of treble horn through remote control.

Thus I can adjust overall tone very easily.

If it sounds bright, then I turn it down.

If too bass heavy, I turn it up

Thomask, are you doing this with a specific reference recording and then leaving the treblehorn volume alone, or are you adjusting with the remote for each recording as mood suits? If the former, what recording are you using to set the balance?

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Thomask, are you doing this with a specific reference recording and then leaving the treblehorn volume alone, or are you adjusting with the remote for each recording as mood suits? If the former, what recording are you using to set the balance?
I set the volume for each album as I wish.

If I want more relaxed sound, I turn down treble volume, on the other hand if I want vivid sound with more details, I turn it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterA

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

If I want more relaxed sound, I turn down treble volume, on the other hand if I want vivid sound with more details, I turn it up.
Get a Behringer DEQ 24/96 and measure it and set it with a proper frequency response

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
@morricab is saying the right and sensible path, but I guess if its fun for @thomask to tweak by ear why not? Would be interesting if @thomask ends up with a favorite setting and then measures it to make tangible the overall preference :)

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
@morricab is saying the right and sensible path, but I guess if its fun for @thomask to tweak by ear why not? Would be interesting if @thomask ends up with a favorite setting and then measures it to make tangible the overall preference :)
I do not need any measurement.

My system is not for audio show.

It is for my personal enjoyment.

As I get older ( I am 62 years old now0, my hearing to treble frequency may get lower, thus I may adjust treble volume as I wish.;)

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I do not need any measurement.

My system is not for audio show.

It is for my personal enjoyment.

As I get older ( I am 62 years old now0, my hearing to treble frequency may get lower, thus I may adjust treble volume as I wish.;)
Not a problem...enjoy...

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
there are some apps allowing you to use your smartphone as a sort of spectrum analyzer, not 100% reliable but they can help give a idea of where you are with the freq curve/hearing.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
there are some apps allowing you to use your smartphone as a sort of spectrum analyzer, not 100% reliable but they can help give a idea of where you are with the freq curve/hearing.
I may

I enjoy unlimeted dynamics out of Altec A7 and two 18 inch Scaena subwoofer added on 56 hz down.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC

If only we could have that with the top end on recordings made back in the day (Read, the 80's) that sound....shall I say, less than desirable?

I personally despise tone controls but (and there is a but) sometimes it can be warranted, especially on a great performance but on a less than stellar recording. The remote control option would be nice on some recordings, even with the compromise, TBT.

Tom

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Tone controls are a funny thing. Its ok to 'tune' a system with cables and such but not a knob ;) .

Reactions: Alrainbow

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
John Dyson is making a considerable effort to uncompress those 80-ies recordings (see at AS), he may find his way through the maze of distortion.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
If we use an EQ per song on a given system it can be a best sound again and again. As we stride for perfect balance in our systems more music seems great. but if we do try a old fashion EQ with plenty of bands you might be surprised how good a bad track can sound.
tone Controls esp the ones who had 3 knobs were and still can be useful

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
The all new Heretic Loudspeaker Company is making speakers with Altec drivers now !
Many reviewers really love them !

https://www.thehereticspeaker.com/press-reviews

Interesting review!!

Since I enjoy my Altec A7, I am not surprised.

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
Some of the best Modern speakers I've ever heard period are the new Stage Accompany Master M57 speakers with Bamboo cabinets ! The most realistic sounding speakers I've ever heard Modern or modified Vintage !
Many Musicians use these M57 and M59 speakers now !
A pair of M57's matched with the new Western Electric WE91E 300B Integrated and matching CD Player and an Audio Note Level three DAC is what I want to get one day !

I found this on You Tube sounds amazing even on You Tube wait until you hear them in person !

Last edited:
Reactions: Rensselaer

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing