Modern speakers vs Vintage speakers

Very interesting thread.

Are there any modern designs that have this vintage “realistic” sound? More importantly, can mere mortals with a real world budget achieve such performance goals?

Seems like there is a pursuit of realism in the reproduction of sound in recent threads. I wouldn’t mind owning such a system. I would like to find out if such a pursuit would be possible taking into account budget, space, and WAF factors.

first handle your W and accomodation to accept a low WAF large-ish speaker, and figure out of you want/can do DIY...with DIY it's surely feasible, buying this sort of vintage exotica has turned into something else...

Reactions: carolus
As @MarcelNL says redefine what a normal size speaker is. Not saying they have to be the huge theater-system size but a Klipschorn was an amazing economy of space back in the day ;)

As @MarcelNL says redefine what a normal size speaker is. Not saying they have to be the huge theater-system size but a Klipschorn was an amazing economy of space back in the day ;)

… plus the vintage klipsch are great sounding, plentiful (in america) and ecomically accessible.

Likewise with the altec votts.

Pairs of Tannoy silvers or blacks in original cabinets are close to unobtainium. But you’ll get something very similar with reds, golds or hpds. Or maybe wify decides she can live with only 10”:

In all cases, there are people around who’ll do very decent jobs on nice cabs and upgraded crossovers.

My gut feeling is eventually we will be on the same path Ovenmitt.
Ha! Haven't you noticed Tang.... we already are. :cool::p

Reactions: Tango
… there are also people who say they can do crossovers — but really cant. So you got to be a bit careful about that. If possible always keep the original xovers …

Reactions: carolus and ddk
Yes I realize it. But he did post it in this thread as another example of an Altec A7 system. I think I saw this in a different thread and made the exact same comment. I just thought it was worthy of repeating.

I see you made a comment referencing my early remarks about the speaker position. I was curious to know if the speakers were symmetrical in the room because the video didn’t show the left corner but I guess you did not approve of that questioning. I was curious if there was a corner and open space to the left or if it was a closed wall.
It's my system Peter, the left speaker is about 2.5' from the left wall. The window is not in the middle of the wall, but out some. Originally I placed the hi-fi under the window as there was a sofa on the left wall (speakers were smaller Thrax Lyra on pedestals). I upgraded the stereo before I got the Altec's. The Garrard-based turntable has a chassis and platter cut from solid brass, the plinth made of Permali. The turntable alone weighs over 100 lbs and is not easy to move with two people much less just me. When the Altec's arrived I had strong friends help DHL unload them from their van (they refused) and pull them up stairs on a hand truck. I had removed my listening chair from my music room and slid the sofa to where it was in order to facilitate getting the large Altec's into the room. I like the set up now. The Altec's are toed-in a bit and the side wall reflections on the right sort of blocked by the record shelves, there is no problem with reflections from the back wall, and the ceiling rises up to over my head while listening before slanting back down, sending roof reflections to the ground behind me. The wool carpet soaks up stray waves as well. I am fine with the placement, but am having Pete Riggle in Washington State build me a couple of Hiraga crossovers for them in hopes of a tad more sweetness and presence.

Are my infifnity speakers old enough to be vintage ? i would like toi find the time to play a few songs and post .

Reactions: christoph

Another big horn using WE 755a driven by 300b SET.

There are many vintage users in Korea.

Please go to 3 minutes to enjoy music.

This person is making big horns but this WE 755a in not his.

He enjoy WE 755a before returning the unit to the owner.

Last edited:
Reactions: nirodha

I changed speaker cable for generic to 20 years old Audio Note.

It makes sound refined.

Although this may not sound as good as WE 755a full range, I have no problem in enjoying music through my Altec A7.

;)

Last edited:
Reactions: rooze

I switched from Crown XLS 2502(750W D class) to Rogue Cronus Magmum II fitted with Tungsl KT120, Amperex ECC82, GE 12ax7) for driving bass horn.

It sounds much more musical with tuneful bass.

While Rogue has less power than Crown in the spec. , it seems to have better control of Altec driver (97db/w high eff).

The only bothering is thumping noise when turn off which may damage bass horn.

I put the butten on middle for 2 seconds and release it slowly to minimize the noise.

Although I hate Putin, I love Russian people and their songs.

I am not surprised. The Crown XLS does a lot for such little money but not the right amp for high efficiency FLH....

Reactions: thomask
A pair of Altec VOTT A-7s we’re posted for sale on Audiogon on 3/28/22. $43,500, located in Ann Arbor Michigan.

screenshot-www.youtube.com-2022.04.11-13_35_22.png

This gentleman in Korea used to use Altec A5 until last year.

screenshot-www.youtube.com-2022.04.11-13_39_43.png

Then he swiched to WE22a horn and WE 555 .

Both sound nice but I wish to get a WE horn system before I die.

I will try to visit vintage audio dealers in Korea evey time I go there.

If I am happy with the sound, I may pull the trigger. ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing