More than 15,000 scientists from 184 countries issue 'warning to humanity'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Historically, when populations eliminate poverty and provide education the population levels off and may even decrease on it's own.

I don't think a penalty for having kids is a good idea, China's one child policy seems to have caused a lot of suffering. OTOH, we don't need to encourage it via tax breaks.

China and Russia are both encouraging population growth, it's unfortunate the world has to deal with many of the people who are heads of state these days.

Dave, do you think the population will level off or even decrease on its own before the "irreversible effects" of climate change become too great for humans to have a chance to do something about them? I am thinking of exploding populations in certain parts of the world. It seems to me that both are on an inevitable course and human kind is unable or unwilling to do anything about it. Pollution seems to only get worse as populations move from developing to developed. More cars, more meat, more houses, more consumption, more production, more waste.

Reactions: zerostargeneral

If you view it as a political issue than it should not be discussed on wBF. Very simple.

WBF is a refuge from politics.

No, Ron, this is an issue of survival of human civilization. And global warming is a fact, not politics. That some are manipulated for political reasons into denying that fact is a different story.

I have an idea. Everyone post hyperlinks to "irrefutable facts" and then we can spend pages upon pages refuting each other's. Eventually someone will win and be crowned king of the internet. Sound fun?

Reactions: PeterA
Dave, do you think the population will level off or even decrease on its own before the "irreversible effects" of climate change become too great for humans to have a chance to do something about them? I am thinking of exploding populations in certain parts of the world. It seems to me that both are on an inevitable course and human kind is unable or unwilling to do anything about it. Pollution seems to only get worse as populations move from developing to developed. More cars, more meat, more houses, more consumption, more production, more waste.

The problem is, at least in the US, our government promotes population increase among the poor. Want a bigger monthly check from the government? Sure! Just have more kids. How often do you see a middle or upper class family with 8 kids and single parent? Combine that with people living longer and open borders and we end up with population explosion.

USA POPULATION:
1970 205 million
2019 330 million

Reactions: PeterA
The problem is, at least in the US, our government promotes population increase among the poor. Want a bigger monthly check from the government? Sure! Just have more kids. How often do you see a middle or upper class family with 8 kids and single parent? Combine that with people living longer and open borders and we end up with population explosion.

USA POPULATION:
1970 205 million
2019 330 million

Perhaps closing our borders and phasing out foreign aid would be more effective than driving Tesla cars?

Reactions: PeterA and djsina2

I think we're past that point already.

Poverty and ignorance are what seem to cause people to have a lot of children.

In some Asian countries the children are supposed to support the parents once they are old enough, so some shifts in lifestyle might be necessary, but it comes down to financial security in almost all cases.

I think the overall picture is, we're seeing is an adolescent society being forced to quit bad habits and grow up. What we should have learned during our adolescence is the basics of how to live as humans, but I fear it's not going so well, we still cling to fear based solutions. These include stuff like a massive and swift change to everyone driving EVs, closing borders and not offering asylum, ongoing wars and competition, oligarchy as the most common form of government, and leadership plagued with narcissism and lawlessness.

The way forward is dealing with problems with compassion, not violence, not war, not only thinking of ourselves. The latter creates suffering, the former is the way out of suffering. We need to remember the cause of suffering is simply wishing for our own happiness, the way to be happy is to be more concerned about others' happiness.

If we can't think in these terms we're done. On one hand we'll have crazy solutions like building millions of EVs with no regard for the fact they don't actually help right now, on the other we'll have cruel and inhumane policies towards other groups of people combined with utter disregard for our impact on the environment. The gulf between opposing views will only grow and lead to violence. Both are fear-based solutions and should be thrown out as possible solutions, and people promoting fear-based solutions must not be elected into power.

I think it's probably best to let nature take its course and let mankind die out when the time comes. Nothing is forever. Not sure why so many people think humans are so special. We are a microscopic blip in history. Enjoy it while you have it and stop worrying about the global disaster that will surely come at some point.

Reactions: zerostargeneral
I think it's probably best to let nature take its course and let mankind die out when the time comes. Nothing is forever. Not sure why so many people think humans are so special. We are a microscopic blip in history. Enjoy it while you have it and stop worrying about the global disaster that will surely come at some point.

That's similar to telling an addict to keep on using and enjoy it, 'cause we all have to die someday.

Just like the addict, your "enjoying it" is actually just more suffering and you have it confused for real happiness.

Here is information to alleviate your confusion:

Global warming

Oh OK, so both terms are still in use. I had thought global warming went away after Al Gore cashed out his $200M on the scam. I mostly hear people talking about climate change these days. Maybe it depends on the audience and what type of fear the presenter is still to instill.

That's similar to telling an addict to keep on using and enjoy it, 'cause we all have to die someday.

Just like the addict, your "enjoying it" is actually just more suffering and you have it confused for real happiness.

Not at all. A drug addict is a single person with a single problem that is easily fixable. If you think you are going to change the mindset of billions of people, all from different cultures, and the enormous corporations that rule the world then all I can say is good luck on that. You would have a better chance of getting peace in the Middle East.

Not at all. A drug addict is a single person with a single problem that is easily fixable. If you think you are going to change the mindset of billions of people, all from different cultures, and the enormous corporations that rule the world then all I can say is good luck on that. You would have a better chance of getting peace in the Middle East.

It's all the same.

Reactions: Al M.

If you view it as a political issue than it should not be discussed on wBF. Very simple. (...)

Can you view it other way? 95% of the posts on this thread are politics (and now also religious, it seems).

Currently the decision on whether a fact should be considered relevant or not is essentially political, as well as how we should face the issue - the important debate, IMHO.

If someone invented a cheap and accessible clean form of energy today the debate would cease tomorrow.

IMHO the only possibility of saving the planet is wining the battle in the global political arena.

"An evolutionary cul-de-sac...."

Reactions: bonzo75
It's not my problem to care about the well being of violent criminals. They should all be eliminated. I'm not talking about the obvious ones such as terrorists. I'm talking about the ones you see on the local news every night who are committing violent crimes over and over and over again. It's common sense that they should forfeit their time on Earth. Think of each of these criminals as an ICE and doing nothing productive other than adding to the world's overpopulation and pollution.

What are you saying? Genocide for all who commit crimes?

Can we start w those who designed tank tops, flares and crushed velvet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing