Mozart Symphony No. 41

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Thank you, Mike! Which is your favorite vinyl version of this title?

i only have 2 vinyl Mozart 41st Symphonies; Leinsdorf/Boston (RCA LSC-2694) and Szell/Cleveland (Columbia MS6969), both are 'nice', with 'solid' mid-60's sonics, but i'm not a good source for judging classical performances.

in my system, of these 2 i prefer the Leinsdorf which is a touch more natural sounding (vintage Columbia's are typically a slight bit 'hot' on top for my tastes). with the GFS, both have good string tonality and delicacy, an ease and presence, and are lively and involving, for whatever that is worth. a note; the Szell recording is also in mono so make sure you get the stereo (MS6969 is the stereo, ML6969 is the mono).

i don't currently have any vinyl reissues of this performance.

i am a huge fan of large scale orchestral music and it's more than half of my listening, but it's mostly digital as have such a large amount of it and in my system it sounds great. if there is a performance i want i can quickly download it.

Reactions: bonzo75

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Any thoughts on the Mercury?

Attachments

• EB3B6AD7-3726-44CE-BFDF-08419D423910.jpeg
    EB3B6AD7-3726-44CE-BFDF-08419D423910.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 2

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Mike!

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Any thoughts on the Mercury?
I'll have to pull that one out for a spin. Schmidt-Isserstedt was one of the old school central Europeans, like Joseph Krips and Raphael Kubelik mentioned above. Interestingly, both Kubelik and Krips ended up conducting in the US (Kubelik in Chicago where he preceded Fritz Reiner and Krips in San Francisco where I saw him conduct in the late '60's when I was in grad school).

Schmidt-Isserstedt was a strong anti-Nazi and sent his wife and son to England as the Nazis were gaining strength in Germany. His son, Erik, who anglicized his name to Smith, became a well known producer for Decca Records and then one the top people at Philips Records. Schmidt-Isserstedt was installed as the music director of the German Radio Orchestra in Hamburg after the war by the Allies.

Larry

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I'll have to pull that one out for a spin. Schmidt-Isserstedt was one of the old school central Europeans, like Joseph Krips and Raphael Kubelik mentioned above. Interestingly, both Kubelik and Krips ended up conducting in the US (Kubelik in Chicago where he preceded Fritz Reiner and Krips in San Francisco where I saw him conduct in the late '60's when I was in grad school).

Schmidt-Isserstedt was a strong anti-Nazi and sent his wife and son to England as the Nazis were gaining strength in Germany. His son, Erik, who anglicized his name to Smith, became a well known producer for Decca Records and then one the top people at Philips Records. Schmidt-Isserstedt was installed as the music director of the German Radio Orchestra in Hamburg after the war by the Allies.

Larry

Thank you for this history lesson. I try to not think about von Karajan's Nazi connections when I listen to his performances.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Just checked my collection. I have 16 versions of the Jupiter Symphony in vinyl, including all the ones mentioned in the thread so far. I've ripped all of them to digital so I can access them (and 10,000 other albums). When I searched for 41 in my Roon search, the first album that came out was the Kubelik VPO recording on EMI ASD-617. I think Roon was reading the General's mind. I just looked at my Excel database. Not a cheap record!

Larry

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing