Munich show 2023 Hifideluxe and MOC .

I quite liked the AG Colibri C2. The 18 inch sub, just one of them in the demo room, can certainly chuck out copious amounts of bass at high volume. The mids and highs are also top notch.

Very dynamic and great for electronic and other bass heavy material. Very good mids and highs, too.

Would have liked to hear with two subs in the frame they supply as pictured below.

Good stuff, I think. Big sound from a compact setup.

Watch the video for more info from the main man at AG.
IMG20230521114903.jpg
IMG20230521115035.jpg
IMG20230521114547.jpgIMG20230521105439.jpg

Hi,

Firstly, I would like to make it clear that those setups played well, had everything on the record replayed. They could very well be used in ones system with great satisfaction. I also heard a lot of other speakers made with similar typology that sounded quite good, they outnumber the good horns I have heard. These include Rockports as well, they are very good speakers. There were many speakers that showed potential at Munich and if setup rightly at home, they would be very satisfactory to most.

Now, for my own liking and preferences, I really prefer the effortlessness of certain horn speakers. As if the system is not electrically amplified. I do not know if I can convey what I feel but this is the feeling I get. This does not apply to all, but to only a select few I have had chance to hear. Not only that but having the micro and macro dynamic contrasts without compression and ability to play realistically loud is also very important. Musicians convey their feeling/attitude via these dynamics. Certain planar speakers also bring this effortlessness but then I did not hear them have dynamics as much or they could not play realistically loud. This may all be my own experience but I feel I had the chance to hear many different setups to be able to make up my own preferences.

For the looks, I do not like the way D'agostino look or the gryphon looks. Very large, very muscular. Some others with too much bling also don't do it for me. For speakers, I do not like to see cones moving a lot (always keeps my mind stuck with doppler distortion), I do not like speakers that look like hot rod automobiles or similar :)
Thank you...very helpful. And that 'alacrity' is definitely a common observation from horn reviews and from the sound I hear in person or from recordings of people who play them here. It is very special and I imagine very very demanding of set up. I would love to explore someday what it really means in terms of musical message...because my priorities have never led me down this path before. That said, you never know til you try it! And it would definitely be a great learning experience to try.

Look forward to doing so someday.

Reactions: kodomo
Some horns just look like you're looking at an arsehole. These are super guilty of that undesirable trait.

Once you have it in your head, it's very difficult to remove it. So apologies to those whose brains I have damaged!;)
No worries … Waking sporting an erection is an entirely natural male hormonal response ;)

Reactions: Alrainbow
I quite liked the AG Colibri C2. The 18 inch sub, just one of them in the demo room, can certainly chuck out copious amounts of bass at high volume. The mids and highs are also top notch.

Very dynamic and great for electronic and other bass heavy material. Very good mids and highs, too.

Would have liked to hear with two subs in the frame they supply as pictured below.

Good stuff, I think. Big sound from a compact setup.

Watch the video for more info from the main man at AG.
View attachment 111021
View attachment 111020
View attachment 111022View attachment 111023

The fact that the head of AG said they are “not for audiophiles” has me worried that they won’t sound great…
How sensitive are they? Or are they active only?

The WE speakers are not for sale, but the Korean demonstrating it is just an enthusiast who wants to show what those old speakers can do.

The issue I have is how original are the drivers i.e. to what extent have they been fettled? Unknown, and therefore we will probably never know what sort of sound they produced in the day exactly.

That said, I love the guy for bringing them along every year in many different flavours. Respect.

The presentation is fairly unique. But quite high levels of distortion are quite clearly audible. That said, adding distortion on top of Led Zep i.e. music that is inherently deliberately delivered with distorted guitars works well in this case.

Domestically completely unacceptable for most but not all I would guess.
Speakers are not on sale but Silbaton amps are on sale.

I had tried to get one Western Electrict speaker from Mr Chung, owner of Silbatone.

But he told me that all the collections are needed to build Western Electric museum in memory of his late father. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobvin
These are great speakers but the active crossover with DSP is not great. Replace it with a good passive and they will sound much better.
This is a bad idea to do a bad demonstration with a one million speakers. I have told with a lot of people and all were agree that Wilson Audio has a very poor sound.
If I work for Wilson Audio, I will do the best I can to do a good demonstration, because they have taken big DCS, Nordost Odin... expensive products and bad sound?

So I will take time to setup the active cross over with DSP...

Just my 5 cts....

I like the Audiophile Junkie. I think he does a good job at explaining at what he sees and hears. He like Aries Cerat and also Alsyvox. Good video.

The fact that the head of AG said they are “not for audiophiles” has me worried that they won’t sound great…
No worries, the best devices are not for audiophiles, they play music :cool:

Matt

Reactions: Gregm
Best system I heard today: Aries Cerat.
Best planar system I heard today: Diptyque + B’Audio
Best mostly conventional system I heard today: TotalDAC
Best under 50k system I heard today: Grandinote
Best Conventional speaker system i heard today: Living Voice + SJS + Kuzma/Grand Prix Audio.
Hi
None of these were very good to my ears, Diptyque Grand were deserved by the electronics and the "poor" stand. They could be better.
All in all, only 3 systems I listened to were real state of the art. I miss 2 or 3 very good brands well none, not enough time.

Reactions: rrohland
Hi
None of these were very good to my ears, Diptyque Grand were deserved by the electronics and the "poor" stand. They could be better.
All in all, only 3 systems I listened to were real state of the art. I miss 2 or 3 very good brands well none, not enough time.
Those were?

Lol as we wait while
The world turns.
in truth having gone to many shows what we like in Comparison’s is why we argue here.
While we all hear the same or close what we perceive is where the wheels come off.
I do trust those who do know great systems to a point
There is just too much information that’s misleading us.
this year at axpona there were to me many great setups but many times what I like is not mentioned or if is it’s just ok.
laslty if someone sells products I really think we should know even if the product is not being debated.
I also think if we are lucky to be near enough to hear others systems or in my case being near a world class brick and Mordor store front it really helps on perspective.

How sensitive are they? Or are they active only?
98DB.

They definitely have the AG house sound. The head of AG was promoting them and is shown in the picture I took talking about them, so I am not sure where you got your claim from. I simply can't imagine him saying what you said he did.

That said, everything depends on context. But if I owned a pair of Trios/bass horns, I would be happy with a Colibri set up in my bedroom.

So, typical AG. Dynamics, clarity, speed, detail, spacious and precise imaging plus copious amounts of bass when required.

Good stuff. Would I buy a pair? Or Duos or Trios? No, cos I haven't. But I do rate them really quite highly.

"Online darlings Aries Cerat produced a sound so devoid of coherence or integration that you could literally pick the bandwidth of each driver. This system was a hot-mess, rivalled only by an OMA set-up that resembled the bastard marriage of a badly tuned pianola with an Edwardian cocktail cabinet – and looked and sounded every bit as bad as that suggests!" - Roy Gregory

:rolleyes:

Sure sounds like what Roy describes in this Moiz video....NOT!
Now i have to read his silly report, there is some humor in his writing ! ;)

Reactions: morricab

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing