Munich show 2023 Hifideluxe and MOC .

There are nice replicas:

Matt
For my part I would set up a dedicated mono only system sporting one of these …. Wood :cool:

Reactions: matthias
Well Roy’s wife represents Wadax. Do you remember when Roy loved Nordost? ……You draw your own conclusion.

At least he is true to his wife if not to his readers

...I listened to Nagra room, Wilson Room, I even had products in the Rockport room. Yes, they sounded good too but it is not the type of sound I am interested in. Especially the Wilson/D-Agostino sound is nearly the opposite of what I want for sound and looks....
Hi Kodomo,

Thank you. I find your post very interesting. I have heard few horns and therefore have only 'some' understanding of them. But you have clearly spent a lot of time with them...and I would appreciate understanding what you look for in your system that is 'the opposite' in the Wilson/D'Agostino sound (which at least I am familiar with). Always here to learn...and particularly in the last year have enjoyed reading about horns here at WBF.

For reference, I have heard the Cessaro Betas + Horn Subs at Audio Exotics perhaps 10 years ago. I have heard the Cessaro Liszt here in the UK many years ago briefly. Perhaps the most mature system I have heard was the latest Avantgarde Trio with dual bass horns (driven by Emm Labs MTRX Reference Monos).

In terms of reference sound, my 2 favorite systems that I have heard are Ernie Lau's Rockport Arrakis system with VTL Siegfried II monos in Hong Kong and a much earlier generation of Audiocrack's system which used the Genesis Ones. Effortless, natural and a scale with nuance that was truly breathtaking to behold. They each made even big Wilsons feel more like Sashas. Just breathtaking...

In the case of horns, I noted an alacrity that was really special, but tonality was something with that ultimate instantaneous speed I sensed was very very difficult to control and get right. And so for some reason, I could not love the systems I heard. Equally, on all out propulsive power, I got effortlessly loud but not air-moving, chest pressure/compression of the air around me. Not sure why. But the AG Trios surely filled a very large room (45' by 30' or bigger and at least 10' ceilings) without any apparent effort.

Thanks for any guidance here as I learn more. (As mentioned elsewhere, I am looking forward to hearing the Destination Audio La Maltas which intuitively seems like an effortless horn that might also compress air given its bass driver design (31" cones).

Last edited:
I most definitely do…however the electronics cannot be too analytical…
Interesting...they certainly seem promising from the recordings of the 2 Divins I have heard (Majestic and the next level at still a big Wilson Maxx-like size). The challenge for us with the Majestic is its size.

I most definitely do…however the electronics cannot be too analytical…
You've got quite a lot of experience, and I have enjoyed your writings and comments of older big Wilsons. What particularly do you prefer about the Majestics over the XVX?

My point was: in stead of the usual ‘political correctness’ in show reports the frankness of Roy’s comments is imo refreshing. And it speaks for itself that the WBF members can do with his comments how they please.

What you are calling 'political correctness´is usually the wise of experienced professionals who know what is an audio show and its objectives and limitations. Shows are intrinsically a needed audiophile mockery - top stereo aims at a small zone of sweat spot with top sound quality and exhibitors aim at reaching crowded rooms. We call them shows, not listening sessions! ;)

Moiz Audio : Do hit the ‘Show more’ button for a more comprehensive critique beyond the opening sentence :
” Aries Cerat DID it again. Yes, it destroyed Wadax. Yes it destroyed CH Precision. “

You've got quite a lot of experience, and I have enjoyed your writings and comments of older big Wilsons. What particularly do you prefer about the Majestics over the XVX?

i think I have a list of 30 speakers I prefer over the XVX

Reactions: morricab
Hi Kodomo,

Thank you. I find your post very interesting. I have heard few horns and therefore have only 'some' understanding of them. But you have clearly spent a lot of time with them...and I would appreciate understanding what you look for in your system that is 'the opposite' in the Wilson/D'Agostino sound (which at least I am familiar with). Always here to learn...and particularly in the last year have enjoyed reading about horns here at WBF.

For reference, I have heard the Cessaro Betas + Horn Subs at Audio Exotics perhaps 10 years ago. I have heard the Cessaro Liszt here in the UK many years ago briefly. Perhaps the most mature system I have heard was the latest Avantgarde Trio with dual bass horns (driven by Emm Labs MTRX Reference Monos).

In terms of reference sound, my 2 favorite systems that I have heard are Ernie Lau's Rockport Arrakis system with VTL Siegfried II monos in Hong Kong and a much earlier generation of Audiocrack's system which used the Genesis Ones. Effortless, natural and a scale with nuance that was truly breathtaking to behold. They each made even big Wilsons feel more like Sashas. Just breathtaking...

In the case of horns, I noted an alacrity that was really special, but tonality was something with that ultimate instantaneous speed I sensed was very very difficult to control and get right. And so for some reason, I could not love the systems I heard. Equally, on all out propulsive power, I got effortlessly loud but not air-moving, chest pressure/compression of the air around me. Not sure why. But the AG Trios surely filled a very large room (45' by 30' or bigger and at least 10' ceilings) without any apparent effort.

Thanks for any guidance here as I learn more. (As mentioned elsewhere, I am looking forward to hearing the Destination Audio La Maltas which intuitively seems like an effortless horn that might also compress air given its bass driver design (31" cones).
Hi,

Firstly, I would like to make it clear that those setups played well, had everything on the record replayed. They could very well be used in ones system with great satisfaction. I also heard a lot of other speakers made with similar typology that sounded quite good, they outnumber the good horns I have heard. These include Rockports as well, they are very good speakers. There were many speakers that showed potential at Munich and if setup rightly at home, they would be very satisfactory to most.

Now, for my own liking and preferences, I really prefer the effortlessness of certain horn speakers. As if the system is not electrically amplified. I do not know if I can convey what I feel but this is the feeling I get. This does not apply to all, but to only a select few I have had chance to hear. Not only that but having the micro and macro dynamic contrasts without compression and ability to play realistically loud is also very important. Musicians convey their feeling/attitude via these dynamics. Certain planar speakers also bring this effortlessness but then I did not hear them have dynamics as much or they could not play realistically loud. This may all be my own experience but I feel I had the chance to hear many different setups to be able to make up my own preferences.

For the looks, I do not like the way D'agostino look or the gryphon looks. Very large, very muscular. Some others with too much bling also don't do it for me. For speakers, I do not like to see cones moving a lot (always keeps my mind stuck with doppler distortion), I do not like speakers that look like hot rod automobiles or similar :)

Moiz Audio : Do hit the ‘Show more’ button for a more comprehensive critique beyond the opening sentence :
” Aries Cerat DID it again. Yes, it destroyed Wadax. Yes it destroyed CH Precision. “

Great recording! of vinyl...

"Online darlings Aries Cerat produced a sound so devoid of coherence or integration that you could literally pick the bandwidth of each driver. This system was a hot-mess, rivalled only by an OMA set-up that resembled the bastard marriage of a badly tuned pianola with an Edwardian cocktail cabinet – and looked and sounded every bit as bad as that suggests!" - Roy Gregory

:rolleyes:

Sure sounds like what Roy describes in this Moiz video....NOT!

"Aries Cerat DID it again. Yes, it destroyed Wadax. Yes it destroyed CH Precision. I walk into their room at the Munich High End Show. In the center of the room stood the greatest audiophile system in the world, a testament to precision , passion and craftsmanship. The engineers and designers behind this system are renowned experts in their field, their reputation preceding them. I was immediately aware that this is not just any listening session; it was an opportunity to witness the pinnacle of audio engineering and experience sound like never before. As the music began to play, I was acutely aware of the impeccable clarity and detail that emanated from the speakers. Every instrument and voice is reproduced with stunning accuracy and separation. The system effortlessly handled the subtlest nuances, revealing hidden layers within the music that were previously unheard. The frequency response was perfectly balanced, ensuring that no element was overshadowed or lost in the mix. The bass notes reverberated through the room with a tangible presence and THUNDER! while the treble soared with clean brilliance. The soundstage was expansive, immersing me into a three-dimensional sonic landscape, as if I was sitting in the midst of a live performance. Each note, each chord, and each lyric takes on a new life, evoking powerful emotions and stirring into my soul. In this moment, we all are moved to our core. The beauty and intensity of the music touches your heart and resonate deep within you. The Aries Cerat system transcends the realm of technology; it becomes a conduit for pure emotion. The delicate harmonies bring tears to your eyes, and the powerful crescendos send shivers down your spine. The experience is profound and transformative, as if you are experiencing the music for the first time, discovering its true essence. These machines express emotions. I am reminded of the power of art, of its ability to connect people, and the potential for music to heal and inspire. This extraordinary listening experience fills you with a sense of wonder and appreciation for the boundless capabilities of human creativity and ingenuity. In conclusion, listening to Aries Cerat system is an experience that combines the ethos of craftsmanship and expertise, the logos of precise and flawless audio reproduction, and the pathos of emotional resonance and connection. It is an immersive journey that leaves a lasting impression, reminding us of the incredible capacity of sound to touch our souls and awaken our deepest emotions."

- Moiz Audio

Reactions: abeidrov

Some horns just look like you're looking at an arsehole. These are super guilty of that undesirable trait.

Once you have it in your head, it's very difficult to remove it. So apologies to those whose brains I have damaged!;)

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing