Munich show 2023 Hifideluxe and MOC .

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
This reminded me how much sharing the music is a joy. Some of my best memories like this involved Large Advents fed by a basic Kenwood integrated, Dual 1245 + Microacoustics 2002e and bog standard wiring (OK, and a Modest Bong!). It's the sharing that amplifies the fun, and that's what I loved about my days with you audio nuts at MOC!
Indeed, and the getting together +sharing is, I believe, a large part of a show's attraction.
I think you'll admit my air licks were a passable Tony Iommi... Black Sabbath rules!

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
Indeed, and the getting together +sharing is, I believe, a large part of a show's attraction.
I think you'll admit my air licks were a passable Tony Iommi... Black Sabbath rules!
You were totally fierce!o_O It was remarkable how that empty room filled up during your performance. I passed it twice the next day and saw a single listener each time. Highly unusual for any room at this show...

Reactions: Gregm

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Reactions: howiebrou

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
My final show preference...top 10 rooms:

1) Aries Cerat. Most realism in a system of still "fit in your home" size.
2) Acapella but you needed to sit in the first couple of rows...further back was far less appealing
3) Cessaro with Opus 1 + subwoofer: However, the big system was not very good...no idea what the issue is.
4) TotalDAC. Maybe some rooms sounded better in some ways but the sound was clean, fresh, well balanced and dynamic. Good value by show standards
5) WE room with Silbatone. Not quite as good as some past years and somewhat uneven but unrivaled dynamics and emotion
6) Sigma Acoustics with CanEver eletronics and a big TT. Really lovely and dynamic sound...best system with no horn driver of any kind
7) Grandinote. This was the best under 50K system at the show IMO. 98dB speakers with compression/horn tweeter and Magnetosoild amps
8) Living Voice. Very good sound but perhaps not great value for the speakers (52K). I think the system could have benefited from having more than 8 watts of 300B power on tap as you could hear the strain when it got loud.
9) Diptyque. Best sounding panels at the show, IMO. More coherent, tonally balanced than others. Being in a smaller room probably helped in this case. Was very good last year as well.
10) Kawero! + Ypsilon. Most dynamic non-horn system. Last year had too much zing in the tweeter but this year it was yummy.

Honorable mention:

Von Schweikert/VAC. Very dynamic for a non-horn system and extremely resolving. However, was not very forgiving of lesser recordings
ESD Acoustics: Bombastic in the same way a Buggatti Veyron is for cars. Loved the ambition and scale but for anything other than big classical it sounded overblown.
Tidal: Didn't hear the Buggatti model but their other bigger model was quite warm and natural sounding even with SS amps
Voxativ: Often I don't like the highs of whizzer coned drivers but they had a new black coned driver that sounded very good with midbass coupler and dipole sub...
Fleetwood Sound: Lively and fun but a bit raw sounding at times
Diesis Audio: in a much bigger room this year and it didn't really work as well as the past few shows. Still lovely sound but lacked some impact this time
Soundspacesystems: Funky, high sensitivity speakers that were a lot of fun...but way overpriced IMO.
Odeon + New Audio Frontiers: Was great when they picked good music...which wasn't that often.
Jadis + Davis Acoustics. Prototype speaker was good fun and lively...Jadis has lovely voicing.
Thrax: Great sounding monitors and all 300B preamp/amp chain.
WLM: Small two-way speakers were a real surprise for reasonable money
Marco Serri design: Crazy stuff with an appealing an lively sound...perhaps not completely worked out designs but a lot of fun.

Almost but not quite:
Boenicke Audio: Had it's moments but overall seemed a bit uneven
Marten: All rooms. Speakers had strong bass in both rooms and overly soft upper ranges.
Wilson/Nagra: Had considerable strengths but just doesn't sound realistic
Wilson/VTL: same as above
WE with new (as of last year) speaker
Avantgarde.Duo GT..something about them with SS amps just leaves me cold.
hORNs: Didn't really gel for me
Goebel + CH + WADAX/Kronos: With Kronos it would almost have made the honorable mention list but I think CH holds it back. With WADAX, no thanks. The whole system was significantly better last year with True Life Audio amplification, IMO
MBL: Always a "not quite" for me because of the metallic nature of the overall sound I always hear...strengths are clear but i guess not everyone hears the weaknesses.
Bayz: Could hear the "pipe" overlaying the sound...otherwise nice boxless sound.
Stenheim + Dartzeel... a bit "meh" but basically ok
Rockport + Absolare: not sure what the fuss is about...ok hifi sound.
Brodmann + Viola and crazy Zensati cables; Interesting and almost made honorable mention

Fails:
Wilson + CH...ummm...bad
Kharma room....ummm....really bad
Kharma + Robert Koda + Wadax (?)....umm...really really bad
Wolf Von Langa + Air Tight: Very thin sounding
Clarisys + Soulution (would like to hear them with something less analytical) very cold and analytical sounding
Alsyvox + Pilium: (last year lacked dynamics with Jadis and this year lacked soul and coherence with Pilium). Liked their sound a lot in 2018 and 2019 but not since they came with the big speakers at the big show. This is perhaps not quite a fail but after great demos in the past the last two years have been a big letdown.

Lot's of other rooms that left no impression on me at all.
Nice to see 'morricab' that you list the 'Living Voice' / 'Definitive Audio' / 'SJ Electroacoustics' system at no. 8) in your top 10 systems.

Hoping I will be able to see and hear this very system at the North West Hifi Show in the UK (this show normally held in June / July) :)

Reactions: morricab

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Nice to see 'morricab' that you list the 'Living Voice' / 'Definitive Audio' / 'SJ Electroacoustics' system at no. 8) in your top 10 systems.

Hoping I will be able to see and hear this very system at the North West Hifi Show in the UK (this show normally held in June / July) :)
'SJS' not 'SJ' for 'SJS Electroacoustics' (sorry Simon) !

Reactions: sjs

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
The New $60K Dali Epikore 11 speakers are very impressive ! :oops::eek:

To get most of the performance of their Flagship Dali Kore speakers for half the cost is very impressive indeed !
The $120K Dali Kore Speakers are one of the very best speakers money can buy right now ! It's been one year and they have not filled all the orders for the Dali KORE ! They are a Big Demand for these Kore Speakers !

Very interesting they use they use this Kore Technology on these new Dali EpiKore 11's too !

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
tima:

Did not say who provided speakers. At shows, most electronics manufacturer use speakers from othe companies. I said the Lamm room used the Bionors (once), Kharmas, Verity and Wilsons at shows -- where is the confusion, Mike?

At CES 2003 the Lamm room had a pair of speakers (stereo).

www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0303/glackin/page2.htm

View attachment 110656
Above are the 90W ML1.1 amps manufactured from 2002-2010.

Jeff Day - CES Impressions Part 2 1/12/2003
]https://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=general&n=250263&r=&search_url=/default.mpl?

The question is that I asked specifically for speakers that Vladimir Lamm used regularly with the ML3 either at his home or at the factory. Everyone knows about was used at shows ... :rolleyes:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
The question is that I asked specifically for speakers that Vladimir Lamm used regularly with the ML3 either at his home or at the factory. Everyone knows about was used at shows ... :rolleyes:
I used to visit Vlad and Elina every so often. They were always building gear and over many years of visits the Wilsons that were in the upstairs front room were never connected to a system. It could have been the times that I was there, 5+ but my thoughts were that he just used the speakers to do testing vs. set up in a listening system. Just guessing on that.

His home was his factory.

Reactions: bonzo75

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Curious that no one in WBF refers to the Devore system playing in Munich - acquaintances who went there referred to me it was sounding nice.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Curious that no one in WBF refers to the Devore system playing in Munich - acquaintances who went there referred to me it was sounding nice.
When I was in the booth they played the Baby Orangutans, nothing appealing to me.

Matt

Reactions: rrohland

AudioAbe

Jun 10, 2021
UK
I am big fan of DeVore speakers. I think the Os are superb (so much so I have a pair of the O/96s on order) but I always find the DeVore booth at Munich struggles to show their magic.
I popped in twice this year and heard both the O/baby and Micr/O. I thought the latter sounded better than the former, but sadly I thought they underperformed in the booth.

Reactions: jbrrp1

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Why would anyone use a drum solo for a speaker demo - other than to demonstrate attack & decay. For voice & instrument reproduction the Kawero's were my choice from the VIDS you have posted on this page...
Yes, it was quite good I thought. The Ypsilon gear is really excellent as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing