Nagra Debuts its New Reference Anniversary Turntable/Tonearm Record Playback System

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
like 70 small.
I would think if they can sell 70 that would be a huge success. I'm thinking like 10. But if you build it they will come. Look at all of the other high price audio gear. Somebody is buying it.

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
I would think if they can sell 70 that would be a huge success. I'm thinking like 10. But if you build it they will come. Look at all of the other high price audio gear. Somebody is buying it.
I have a guess, it will be easily sold out ;)

Reactions: Zeotrope and bryans

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
we will find out. you also have the Wilson Benesch GMT debuting in early 22', ranging from $150k--$300k-ish depending on options.

or more current info here....

and likely there are others who view the $175k-$200k+ tt market as where to be. a good time to love vinyl. it will be interesting to see who actually brings more tech and performance, verses more bling and complication. making a turntable sound exceptional is not a given with a high price. it might be just different, or colored, or not lively and human sounding.

and neither of these 2 have vacuum hold-down, or air bearings, or linear tracking. are those important?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda and PeterA

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Magra ridicolous price
Vyger cost 1/3 and with tonearm and i am sure is much better

Reactions: bonzo75

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Audiophiles buy their gear for their enjoyment, not for their friends enjoyment. Nagra has a record of excellent products that have many loyal and happy customers since long, as well as professional roots as a serious and reliable company. I am sure that their turntable has excellent built quality, sounds great and many customers will enjoy it as much as I enjoy the TechDas AF1+, ignoring the usual unavoidable comments that something costing one third, one fifth or one tenth is surely much better.

It is why nothing would be bring me more happiness in this thread than reading that jfrech or another WBF contributor has got his Nagra turntable and reading about his findings and opinions,

Surely anything more expensive than the beautiful Thorens TD125 we were shown today in another thread is hard to justify in pure rational terms, but the high-end is an hobby. I still keep mine, still playing perfectly, in storage for the day I get the famous pill that cures the high-end disease. :)

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I can't help but feel the platter is a compromise of looks over performance.

It might sound alright, of course, as these things are so variable and hard to predict.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Nice range of
Audiophiles buy their gear for their enjoyment, not for their friends enjoyment. Nagra has a record of excellent products that have many loyal and happy customers since long, as well as professional roots as a serious and reliable company. I am sure that their turntable has excellent built quality, sounds great and many customers will enjoy it as much as I enjoy the TechDas AF1+, ignoring the usual unavoidable comments that something costing one third, one fifth or one tenth is surely much better.

It is why nothing would be bring me more happiness in this thread than reading that jfrech or another WBF contributor has got his Nagra turntable and reading about his findings and opinions,

Surely anything more expensive than the beautiful Thorens TD125 we were shown today in another thread is hard to justify in pure rational terms, but the high-end is an hobby. I still keep mine, still playing perfectly, in storage for the day I get the famous pill that cures the high-end disease. :)
Micro, I recently heard a labor of love modded Thorens 124, that ticked so many boxes, revealing whole layers of information rendered w amazing musicality and immersion, likely 1/8 the cost of this Nagra. I'm struggling to imagine a world where an 8x pricier tt than this 124 provides a whole "other" audio experience.
Likely it's a different presentation, and the 8x multiple being "justified" just comes down to pride of ownership, instantly being the "main man on the block".

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Nice range of

Micro, I recently heard a labor of love modded Thorens 124, that ticked so many boxes, revealing whole layers of information rendered w amazing musicality and immersion, likely 1/8 the cost of this Nagra. I'm struggling to imagine a world where an 8x pricier tt than this 124 provides a whole "other" audio experience.
Likely it's a different presentation, and the 8x multiple being "justified" just comes down to pride of ownership, instantly being the "main man on the block".
Correct, I think, though the perception of being the main man in the block will be your own psychology messing with your head.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Justin, you really think this is not part of the psychology of purchases like this? At limit of 70, you'd be damn unlucky that anyone else had this tt other than you...on your block Lol.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Quick Qs...it looks like the Nagra only supports one arm. Maybe a deal breaker for the multiple arms brigade out there? Does this arm feature detachable headshells? Otherwise the one arm feature will be a deal-breaker to many, even if we just consider those who want a dedicated stereo and mono cart.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Quick Qs...it looks like the Nagra only supports one arm. Maybe a deal breaker for the multiple arms brigade out there? Does this arm feature detachable headshells? Otherwise the one arm feature will be a deal-breaker to many, even if we just consider those who want a dedicated stereo and mono cart.
Non detachable head shell. Unknown if you can have 2 arm wands to accomplish your point. Or just buy 2 TT's :).

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well J, it's my confident guess that if you can afford one, you can certainly afford two. But provision for two arms and/or one tonearm w detachable headshell makes sense.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
On the Nagra the tape machine-like belt path is interesting. (I don't understand the reason for it, but it is interesting.)

The suspension pods -- springs positioned in thick fluid -- remind me of the suspension pods of the early Basis Audio turntables.

scot

Jan 4, 2018
Hi everyone

On the Nagra turntable, the platter is sold separately at a cost of $85K! Relax, just kidding. You really do have to laugh though, I love the TechDAS AF Zero, at $450K, you don’t get the better platter!! This hobby is getting crazy. God bless the people who can afford these tables. Take care.

Best regards
Scot

Reactions: hogen and cuntigh

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Nice range of

IMHO the fact that our imagination or experience is limited by our biases or preferences is not a justification for such relative cost valuation in an extremely subjective hobby.

You seem to consider that a different presentation is a secondary aspect in the high-end. Not my opinion, but I respect yours. A pity that you consider that others own expensive equipment for pride of ownership and for being the "main man on the block" - after such comment I have nothing to add.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) The suspension pods -- springs positioned in thick fluid -- remind me of the suspension pods of the early Basis Audio turntables.

Or the SME suspension pods - Nagra had a collaboration project with SME in the SME Sinergy turntable that included a dedicated phono designed by Nagra.

Top Nagra systems are sometimes displayed with SME turntables - next time we will probably see an all Nagra system. (2021 picture from Mono &Stereo)
a1.jpg

Reactions: rando

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing