Natural Sound

Reactions: Mikem53
So, does this mean you are not a convert?

That is pretty funny Brad, but no one is trying to convert anyone around here. The members of this casual Boston audiophile group each has very specific tastes and preferences. Where there were once more similarities and overlaps, it seems that there is now a fairly strong divergence (IMO) going on as we each figure out and settle on our respective systems. I think each of us is very satisfied in his own direction and path. I was going to write some snarky comment about stubborn and hearty New Englanders never wanting change, but that can not be the case: we seem to all be transplants from elsewhere - the midwest, Canada, Austria, and Greece. We share food, wine, and music in common. That is enough.

I first reached out to Al, a while ago now, over WBF because we each had small two-way stand mounted speakers which seemed a bit of an anomaly here at WBF. I was curious about how his system might sound different from mine. We struck up a fast friendship, satisfied in our common belief that we did not need large, floor standing speakers. We both really appreciated the great imaging and disappearing act of our small speakers. Al was firm with his subs while I never quite got a satisfying integration with my Magico Mini IIs.

Our friend Ian got bigger and bigger speakers and I began to hear what large multi-way speakers can offer. When his Magico M-Project arrived, they opened my eyes to a much more full range sound and scale. I eventually bought my Q3s and for the first time started to enjoy larger scale music. Al had good integration with subs so did not need to go in that direction. We continued to appreciate the different qualities of each other's systems while being quite satisfied with our own.

I have once again changed directions while Al continues to improve the quality of his sound with his monitor/sub system. Each of us learns and makes choices. I appreciate Al's firm position on the path he has chosen. I understand why he likes his system so much, and I respect that.

Last edited:
That is pretty funny Brad, but no one is trying to convert anyone around here. The members of this casual Boston audiophile group each has very specific tastes and preferences. Where there were once more similarities and overlaps, it seems that there is now a fairly strong divergence (IMO) going on as we each figure out and settle on our respective systems. I think each of us is very satisfied in his own direction and path. I was going to write some snarky comment about stubborn and hearty New Englanders never wanting change, but that can not be the case: we seem to all be transplants from elsewhere - the midwest, Canada, Austria, and Greece. We share food, wine, and music in common. That is enough.

I first reached out to Al, a while ago now, over WBF because we each had small two-way stand mounted speakers which seemed a bit of an anomaly here at WBF. I was curious about how his system might sound different from mine. We struck up a fast friendship, satisfied in our common belief that we did not need large, floor standing speakers. We both really appreciated the great imaging and disappearing act of our small speakers. Al was firm with his subs while I never quite got a satisfying integration with my Magico Mini IIs.

Our friend Ian got bigger and bigger speakers and I began to hear what large multi-way speakers can offer. When his Magico M-Project arrived, they opened my eyes to a much more full range sound and scale. I eventually bought my Q3s and for the first time started to enjoy larger scale music. Al had good integration with subs so did not need to go in that direction. We continued to appreciate the different qualities of each other's systems while being quite satisfied with our own.

I have once again changed directions while Al continues to improve the quality of his sound with his monitor/sub system. Each of us learns and makes choices. I appreciate Al's firm position on the path he has chosen. I understand why he likes his system so much, and I respect that.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I was having a light hearted poke at Al because of the many times he proclaimed his system natural to himself and had no intention of Cchanging. Also he did not come away with the same kind of awe and positive vibes from it like Jeff did.

Isn’t it obvious what I meant?? Why the church of Scientology of course... ;)
Like you ? The Holy church of SET of course ! ;)

Like you ? The Holy church of SET ! ;)
No that’s the science of SET. I am more than willing to change if I actually have an experience that convinces me otherwise. I suspect I will be waiting a long time for that to happen :oops:

No that’s the science of SET. I am more than willing to change if I actually have an experience that convinces me otherwise. I suspect I will be waiting a long time for that to happen :oops:
So you’re saying that alien spirits controlling our minds is not science? L Ron Hubbert would disagree!

I actually misread your post...you were saying you didn’t think of bass as a percussive instrument. Slap bass is pretty popular in rock and jazz and is definitely percussive.

Thanks Brad. I suppose any instrument can be percussive if you whack on it to make a sound though, unless it was made to be struck, that doesn't turn it into a percussion instrument. Perhaps I did not adequately distinquish between percussion and percussive. I have heard slap bass and bass players keeping time on their instrument, twirling it around, etc. Some musicians like to play their instrument and play with their instrument. I've seen rock guitarists set their guitar on fire, Hendrix would play his behind his back, I saw Keith Moon throw his drum kit into the audience (but not his cymbals.) I've seen playing clarinetists stand and point their clarinet up toward the ceiling like a trombone player. And there are lots of antics in marching bands. There are only a few instruments you can't hold in your hands: bass, pianos, timpani, harps, etc. For an ardent player I suppose your instrument becomes part of or an extension of you - you are your instrument.

Thanks Brad. I suppose any instrument can be percussive if you whack on it to make a sound though, unless it was made to be struck, that doesn't turn it into a percussion instrument. Perhaps I did not adequately distinquish between percussion and percussive. I have heard slap bass and bass players keeping time on their instrument, twirling it around, etc. Some musicians like to play their instrument and play with their instrument. I've seen rock guitarists set their guitar on fire, Hendrix would play his behind his back, I saw Keith Moon throw his drum kit into the audience (but not his cymbals.) I've seen playing clarinetists stand and point their clarinet up toward the ceiling like a trombone player. And there are lots of antics in marching bands. There are only a few instruments you can't hold in your hands: bass, pianos, timpani, harps, etc. For an ardent player I suppose your instrument becomes part of or an extension of you - you are your instrument.
Yes but slap bass is an accepted style of bass playing...slap guitar not so much...

Interesting how impressions change based on different setups. I have all the anniversary SPUs and they’re all very different. None sound like an SPU either, they have their own unique flavors and that’s their attraction. The 85 has heft, a little dark but wonderful on small bands and solo instruments specially strings, very rich sound. The 95 is much more spacious in comparison, great for orchestral music that you like with lovely sweetness on strings but a more distant presentation than the intimate 85. I’m not a fan of FR tonearms the bass doesn’t breathe and lacks 3012-Rs nuanced bass. What you call energy I call coloration of FR, it’s always punching even when it shouldn’t.

david
Is this you Khun David. Or an imposter?
This is the most description I have seen you wrote of an equipment. You are using many adjectives in the comment above. :p
Quite a change my master yoda.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I was having a light hearted poke at Al because of the many times he proclaimed his system natural to himself and had no intention of Cchanging.

When did I proclaim my system as "natural" to myself?

Besides, everyone knows that I have Unnatural, Unbalanced Sound ;). Hey, I like it.

Also he did not come away with the same kind of awe and positive vibes from it like Jeff did.

That is related to the phenomenon I talked about in #1919 on the previous page. People have different tastes and perceptions. Alas some appear to think everyone's preferences and perceptions should be the same if they are "right".

When did I proclaim my system as "natural" to myself?

Besides, everyone knows that I have Unnatural, Unbalanced Sound ;). Hey, I like it.

That is related to the phenomenon I talked about in #1919 on the previous page. People have different tastes and perceptions. Alas some appear to think everyone's preferences and perceptions should be the same if they are "right".
I didn’t comment on why you didn’t have the same response as Jeff...only that you didn’t.

Here is a photo of the LP with the Mozart strings. I am finding that the listening window is expanding and I enjoy a much larger variety of my recordings, another characteristic on my list describing "Natural Sound".
IMG_1721.JPG

I love this music. When I read Jeffrey's write-up mentioning Mozart this is the first album that came to mind. Then I re-read and he said 'quartet' so maybe not - but yes! The above is an excellent album - part of a 3 record set. Scored for a quartet with an extra viola. The Grumiaux group's rendition is superb and the recordings are excellent.

Mozart Quintets Grumiaux.jpg

1991 - Philips 6500 619, 6500 620, 6500 621 also a box set 6747 10

I didn’t comment on why you didn’t have the same response as Jeff...only that you didn’t.
I think that my system is very close to PeterA’s: same phono, same arm, same cartridge, and with similar cables. Key differences are of course the Vitavoxs and the outstanding Micro Seiki. I’ve already established that I love this sound but I’m curious if I could take it further.

Al’s system is quite different.

Reactions: PeterA
I love this music. When I read Jeffrey's write-up mentioning Mozart this is the first album that came to mind. Then I re-read and he said 'quartet' so maybe not - but yes! The above is an excellent album - part of a 3 record set. Scored for a quartet with an extra viola. The Grumiaux group's rendition is superb and the recordings are excellent.

View attachment 79568

Tima you’re killing me by listing the number, too easy to buy! Now off to eBay for the boxed set.

• Haha
Reactions: tima and MadFloyd
Is this you Khun David. Or an imposter?
This is the most description I have seen you wrote of an equipment. You are using many adjectives in the comment above. :p
Quite a change my master yoda.
David gives us these answers when he is asked to compare things he likes, it’s almost like he’s being asked to compare his children.

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda and ddk

View attachment 79568

It's a great set Tim. I have all three. I had forgotten about the extra viola and likely told Jeff that I had a string quartet he could hear. I keep my record collection up on the third floor of my house, so when Ian and Jeff arrived, I only had a few LPs near the system, so I played what I had downstairs first. I really like this music.

Jeff had a business call shortly after he arrived, so he requested three specific LPs that I retrieved from the third floor to hear after his call: Scheherazade/Reiner, Kind of Blue, and Dark Side of the Moon. DSOFM is the 30th anniversary vinyl edition. Kind of Blue is also a reissue from about 1998.

Reactions: jeff1225

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing