New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

Nets win again under PJ making that 9 of last 10, 11/2 back of Knicks and 2 back of East leaders Heat :) PJ seems to have taught Lopez how to rebound and block shots.

when the celtics were far and out in games behind the knicks and the nets, i would have welcomed the nets winning ways, but now that the c's themselves are chasing the 2 ny teams, that is not too good a news to me. :D but, i'm all for any ny team or any team to dislodge the heat in the far run. :D so it's obvious that the nets did not like the style of avery johnson.

when the celtics were far and out in games behind the knicks and the nets, i would have welcomed the nets winning ways, but now that the c's themselves are chasing the 2 ny teams, that is not too good a news to me. :D but, i'm all for any ny team or any team to dislodge the heat in the far run. :D so it's obvious that the nets did not like the style of avery johnson.

Good point!

Hi

Contrary to Football you need to win 4 out of 7 games to dethrone anyone. This, favors the better teams.. I truly don't see any teams in the East (in the West one can debate but not be sure that anyone, maybe a normally functioning Lakers or a lucky OKC) dethroning the monsters of South Beach ...Oh I hate them. Now there are talks they may get Greg Oden. If he gives them a year or two at center they may do a mini 60's Celtics on the League i-e winning a few championships back to back :(

Frantz I do believe the Heat will likely emerge from the East but IMO they just don't seem to be the same team as last year as they have lost some games to lower tier teams and looked awful. They just don't seem to have the same determination but agreed they are a great team. Now who can beat them.......OKC was whiffed last year and although they have the best record in basketball I'm not convinced they can beat therm. Now the Clippers on the other hand with their bench and hopefully a healthy Billups might rise to the occasion.

I am noticing that in the scoring race, the same thing which happened last year is happening again at just about the same time in the schedule, specifically there is a gain on the part of Melo and KD whereas Kobe is now averaging under 30 ppg. Kobe IMO just can't sustain and will almost certainly not win the scoring leader race

Steve

There is such a thing as Championship experience. I am not to sure Clippers and Championship experience are often seen in the same sentence. They have a moutainto climb to come out alive in the West . What with Teams like the old reliable and forever dangerous Spurs, the stealthy Grizlies, the emerging Warriors, the steady OKC and the still-existing, old but nonetheless talented Lakers. The Heat have one player for the ages playing his best basketball of his career , a healthy D-Wade (snicky, nasty, dirty player by the way) and a now-confident Bosh ... They can only beat themselves...

I am noticing that in the scoring race, the same thing which happened last year is happening again at just about the same time in the schedule, specifically there is a gain on the part of Melo and KD whereas Kobe is now averaging under 30 ppg. Kobe IMO just can't sustain and will almost certainly not win the scoring leader race

Last year he could have won it, had he played the last game and of course scored over 30 ... Which in Kobe Land was within the very likely if there were any motivation.

They can only beat themselves...

they have this year. I agree about playoff experience but IMO the Clippers are a very very deep team and with CP3 at the helm anything is possible. He remains my pick so far for MVP

Did you see the Clipps last 2 games. They destroyed Memphis and the Rockets. There is tremendous camaraderie on that team

I believe the Heat can be beaten in the playoffs (in the East) if a hungrier than them team arises. I do not doubt the talents of the Knicks to compete and give the Heat a hard time in a 7 game series. Man for man they are just the team to dislodge the Heat, and they have a true center who pummeled them in his Dallas days already. They just have to be hungry, serious, and angry attitude come that day. No smiling ala Melo. As for the Nets, I feel they will fall to the Heat, materially and emotionally. And now comes my C's. If they continue playing and improving as they have these days, the material in the persons of Sullinger, Green, Lee and Terry (granted nobody is traded), plus their gritty attitude will drive them to a good series against anyone in the playoffs, including the Heat. Right now they are tuning their D with the new players and improving their rebounds, which Sullinger has provided lately like manna from heaven. Hungry, I feel the C's have always been hungry in the last few years, they were just a few pieces and games away. With younger legs this year, they have a good chance. Miami's couldn't have won last year without the *successful* outside sniping of Battier and Miller. Both became hot. They need to do it again this year to complement the points of Wade and James. Which is why they added Allen and Lewis in case the 2 old guns jammed. So you jam their 3 point kings, and you just get to neutralize their Big 3 mano a mano. Imo, their tres won them the title last year. And if you were Boston and OKC, that was a tough and humiliating way to go down. They have to be ready this time for that. And remember the Heat were mediocre in the first half of the previous season but peaked towards the end? In the beginning there were empty chairs in their arena and Spo was rumored to be be fired? So anything can happen to the contenders now if they get their acts together.

Last edited:
As a Clipper fan I've learned to be (mostly) realistic over the past 10 years.

While I would love them to be NBA champions I am certainly not ready to predict that they will be.

Depending upon how the playoff seeding in the West ends up, I could see them in the Western Conference finals.

Not sure they could take the Spurs in a 7 game series, given the time the Spurs have had together and their pedigree. The Spurs swept the Clippers out of the playoffs last year.

They may be able to handle OKC, especially with Harden in Houston now.

Then there are the Lakers, never count Kobe out.

FrantzM makes a good point about championship experience.

While Chris Paul is a determined leader, Blake and DJ and Bledsoe are still youngsters. Billips, Lamar Odom, Grant Hill and Jamal Crawford give them additional veteran experience and that will help.

Things have certainly gone the Clippers way thus far this season but Karma can swing both ways.

they have this year. I agree about playoff experience but IMO the Clippers are a very very deep team and with CP3 at the helm anything is possible. He remains my pick so far for MVP

Did you see the Clipps last 2 games. They destroyed Memphis and the Rockets. There is tremendous camaraderie on that team

I can see hunger and toughness developing in the Clips this season. They have to maintain it and even improve on it. Agree, their camaraderie is fantastic. And they have to use the one on one talent of Blake to the max. Paul is a great asset anywhere and Clips are lucky to have him. But the x-factor playoff time is the championship experience of Odom, who last game grabbed 11 rebounds in just 19 minutes though only with 2 points. Those boards are going to give them so much added possession, and from the bench to boot. And Crawford, he's gonna be THE story of the Clippers if they go far and deep.

Miami visits the Lakers tomorrow. Howard HAS to show his monster game. This is what people have thought would be the Finals this year when Howard and Nash joined Kobe. There will be some pride in this game for the winner.

Bryant gets record 15th straight All-Star start

By BRIAN MAHONEY, AP

NEW YORK (AP) — Kobe Bryant has been voted to his NBA-record 15th consecutive All-Star start, leading four Los Angeles players into next month's game.

Lakers teammate Dwight Howard and the Clippers' Chris Paul and Blake Griffin will join Bryant in the Western Conference lineup for the Feb. 17 game in Houston. Oklahoma City's Kevin Durant, the MVP of last year's game, rounds out the five.

Kevin Garnett held off Chris Bosh in fan balloting, giving the East two Boston Celtics and two Miami Heat players. LeBron James and Dwyane Wade will represent the defending champions and receive passes from Rajon Rondo. New York's Carmelo Anthony is the other starter.

Bryant finished with 1,591,437 votes, edging James by about 7,800 to finish as the leading vote-getter and break a tie with Shaquille O'Neal, Jerry West and Karl Malone for the most consecutive starting nods.

The NBA's leading scorer is a four-time MVP of the All-Star game and last year became its career scoring leader.

Garnett beat Bosh, who took to Twitter to stump for votes in the final days of balloting, by about 25,000 votes. He tied Bryant and O'Neal for second all-time with his 15th selection behind Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, who was elected to 19 games.

It's the second straight year that Los Angeles teams will make up four players. Last year it was Bryant, Paul, Griffin and Andrew Bynum, who was dealt to Philadelphia in part of the deal that sent Howard from Orlando to Los Angeles.

The ballot changed this year, eliminating the center position. Fans were required to vote for three frontcourt players and two guards.

They picked an interesting mix in the East. Anthony and Garnett exchanged words during a game on Jan. 7 and Anthony was suspended a game by the NBA when he tried to confront Garnett afterward in the tunnel area and by the team bus.

Rondo was injured in the playoffs two years ago after getting tangled up with Wade and landing awkwardly on his arm, part of what's become a tense rivalry between the Celtics and Heat.

Reserves will be announced next Thursday. Coaches will vote for seven players in their conferences: two guards, three frontcourt players and two players regardless of position, and can't vote for a player on their own team.

And how bout this interview, wherein he claims he can beat Lebron on a one-on-one, NO QUESTION.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...-world-greatest-interview-224204370--nba.html

Ball Don't Lie
Kobe Bryant has a new Nike ad, gives world’s greatest interview (VIDEO)
By Eric Freeman | Ball Don't Lie – Thu, Jan 17, 2013 5:40 PM EST

Los Angeles Lakers icon Kobe Bryant has been a part of the NBA for 17 seasons. During that time, he's seen several different eras, from the end of Michael Jordan's dominance to the recent ascendance of LeBron James and Kevin Durant. The only constant, really, has been Kobe. He's been so good and so relevant for so long that a certain kind of fan — anyone younger than 30, basically — may have a hard time conceiving of the NBA without him.

In other words, he's a constant. It's exactly that idea that gives the new Kobe-centric Nike ad it's power. In the spot, a British woman narrates Kobe's daily routine and performances as a part of the natural cycle of the world, a sure thing much like the sun shining, rain falling, and grass growing. He's a fixed part of our lives.

Opinions on Kobe change, of course, and it's not as if he's the exact same player or personality every season. But this commercial nevertheless nails the Kobe experience very, very well. He really is an essential part of the sports landscape, a defining figure in NBA history.

As if to hammer home his unique importance, Bryant also happened to give an instant-classic interview with Chris Palmer for ESPN.com. The conversation touches on many aspects of Kobe's life, including his belief that he's the greatest one-on-one player ever, his similarities to the common man, and his lifelong crusade against dog poop.

In the question and answer session, Bryant went out of his way to tell Palmer that, nearly 17 full years into his professional career, that he's never come out on the losing end of a one-on-one game. Accept that with however many grains of salt you typically prefer with Bryant, but that's his quote. From the interview:

I love going one-on-one with someone. That’s what I do. I’ve never lost. It’s a whole different game, just to have them right in front of you and be able to do whatever you want.

Check out some other highlights after the jump.

As noted in the preceding paragraph, the biggest basketball-only revelation in this interview is that Kobe gives some details of his one-on-one prowess, as well as past victories (via TBJ):

Who would you most like to play one-on-one, either active or retired?

Jordan. No question.

What would happen?

I’m not sure, but he would win some and I would win some in a seven-game series. It would probably come down to the last few shots.

You versus LeBron? Who wins?

Me. No question. As far as one-on-one, I’m the best to ever do it.

Kobe goes on to describe how Kevin Durant could possibly give him problems in a head-to-head matchup. Palmer follows up by mentioning prime Tracy McGrady as a potential challenger, and that's when things get out of hand:

I always wanted to see you play Tracy McGrady.

I played T-Mac. I cooked him. Roasted him. Wasn’t even close. Ask him, he’ll tell you. When I was about 20, we were in Germany doing some promotional stuff for that other sneaker company and we played basketball every day. We were in the gym all the time. We played three games of one-on-one to 11. I won all three games. One game I won 11-2. After the third game he said he had back spasms and couldn’t play anymore.

His back bothered him for most of his career.

Well, now you know.

Kobe's memory may be off, but he turned 20 in August 1998. McGrady first struggled seriously with back injuries during the 2001-02 season, which means that it's entirely possible that Kobe is claiming to have caused T-Mac's career-long back problems in a series of one-on-one thumpings. I do not want to jump to conclusions, but it's a possible interpretation.

Lakers hung around last night for 47 minutes with the game tied only to lose by 9 in the final minute to the Heat

I just saw the highlights having missed the game and it was a good stand put up by LA down to the last minute. The barreling drive of James to me is unstoppable at this point. Teams have to watch tapes to find out how to help out on such situations of James is going to have his way one he spots a clear lane. Howard, well, air ball on a free throw down the stretch? Quite a liability in that area.

Btw, I'd like to see those one-on-one contests among NBA players back in the 70s instead of the slam dunk in the All-Star Weekend. That could make Kobe prove his claim. :D But then again, since LeBron never joined and will not join the slam dunk contest, he may not join the one-on-one either. :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu