New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

several surprising upsets yesterday.

The Clipps prevail and OKC gets beaten by the Wizards. The Spurs beat Orlando. The busy schedule with so many back to back games will play havoc as the season goes on

several surprising upsets yesterday.

The Clipps prevail and OKC gets beaten by the Wizards. The Spurs beat Orlando. The busy schedule with so many back to back games will play havoc as the season goes on

Absolutely, Steve. Tough season.

After this latest win by the Clips, I was just thinking if they get to develop or add role players off the bench in the mold of Odom and Terry, they would really be a force to reckon with in the playoffs and would be very tough to beat.

Lakers are 0-2 vs the Clipps

yeah, that says something. oh, i forgot they have mo williams as 'back-up' third guard.

and btw, read a rumor that the lakers are interested to trade for paul pierce. as unthinkable as it may be, paul grew up in the LA area and was a laker fan in his youth.

That's puzzling to me too, Steve. It seems far-fetched, but stranger things have happened in the NBA. And I hope that C's do not get a World Peace in exchange. ;)

Lakers Trying to Trade for Paul Pierce

Sam Amico, Fox Sports Ohio

Also, the Lakers reportedly are trying to find a way to land Paul Pierce. Not sure yet, what they are willing to give up. But again, it won’t be an easy deal to make. The Celtics love him, obviously.

Ok first off the Celtics are only trading Pierce if they get good value. Secondly, since he's Celtics Lifer and holds many of the team's records, you'd hope Danny would ask for more then just fair value. But to the Lakers? Danny better either respond, "Hell No," or ask for the moon. The Lakers are probably offering their Lamar Odom trade exception and future picks. That would be my guess.

The Lakers are not trading Kobe or Bynum, so the only left besides the trade exception is Pau Gasol, who I personally think is very underrated by Boston fans. A Pierce/Gasol trade would be crazy for so many reasons. Not sure if the Lakers offer it. Not sure if the Celtics accept it. I am sure twitter would go crazy.

It's most likely the trade exception and a couple crappy first rounders. Danny has to say no right?

completely illogical Phil

Gasol for Pierce :confused:

what exactly is the Lamar Odom exception

yeah, illogical indeed, steve.

i'm not too clear about the odom trade exception either but what i understand is that by shipping him to dallas, la got a cap space of $8.5m which they have not really used and they can throw it to a team that needs cap space in exchange for some players.

if if the rumor was true, then the purpose of getting pierce is to fill the SG position which is now held by matt barnes. maybe they'd throw in barnes and some bench players plus the odom cap space. and i don't think danny ainge would want that.

Early in the season there was some idle chatter re the Lakers making the playoffs let alone the Finals. Having watched the Lakers get beat up by the Heat and the Magic there is no doubt in my mind that without a blockbuster trade this year they will come up way short.

What a pathetic bench last night with such errant shots. Howard vs Bynum was no contest and the rumors re Howard going to the Lakers before the trade deadline continue to swirl.

And what is it about Luke Walton that he gets to sit on the edge of the bench for 3-4 years and play 1-2 minutes (if that) per game. Why don't they trade him or buy out his contract. There was talk when Phil was here that Luke was a favorite of Phil who kept him around with the thought of his becoming an assistant coach one day

And what is it about Luke Walton that he gets to sit on the edge of the bench for 3-4 years and play 1-2 minutes (if that) per game. Why don't they trade him or buy out his contract.

i had been wondering about that myself since the last season. luke was a pesky guy and a scrapper for loose balls, maybe the coach doesn't need his role playing anymore. yeah, they should just trade him rather than bench him.

yeah, steve. i didn't realize that luke is 31, once you hit the 30s in the nba it's called old. and his salary is $5.6m a year. the problem is if he's got a multi-year contract.

Latest rumor swirls around the New York Knicks and the Orlando Magic where the Knicks are reportedly wanting to trade Amare Stoudemire and other considerations for Dwight Howard

Apparently Orlando are cold on the deal

Only other caveat is that the Lakers are buried in 10th place in the West

Didn't we have a talk earlier about them making the playoffs?

that's how strong the teams are in the west. lakers are 10-8 yet at 10th, while boston is 7-9 and actually in 7th place in the east. ny has a worse record than boston while have their big 3 playing most of the time. i wouldn't be surprised if they fire their coach.

First Casualty...not a shock....Flip Saunders from the Wizzards

I suspect D'Antoni must be very close to this, but then again, some people above him may really really like him.

Steve, Brian was hired by Larry Bird (apparently from their Celtic link) as asst. coach of the Pacers after the Lakers passed on him.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...rian-shaw-visits-staples-indiana-pacers-coach

Brian Shaw embracing Pacers role

By Dave McMenamin
ESPN Los Angeles
Archive

LOS ANGELES -- Indiana Pacers assistant coach Brian Shaw spent the last 12 seasons working for the Los Angeles Lakers -- four as a player, one as a scout and the last seven as an assistant on Phil Jackson's staff. During that period of more than a decade, Shaw made the trip to Staples Center hundreds of times, but Sunday was his first time being in the arena as a visitor.

"It was the first time I had ever been in the other locker room, if you believe it," Shaw said before the Lakers played the Pacers. "Ever. Believe it or not."

Shaw returns to Los Angeles not only as a former Lakers employee, but as a man spurned by his former franchise after being one of the three candidates to interview for the head coaching vacancy after Jackson retired along with current coach Mike Brown and Rick Adelman, who went on to coach the Minnesota Timberwolves.

The 45-year-old Shaw said he has already put his Lakers past behind him and embraces his new role as the associate head coach in Indiana working under Frank Vogel.

More on the Lakers

For more news, notes and analysis of the Lakers, check out the Land O' Lakers blog from the Kamenetzky Brothers. Blog

"It started the day that I signed to become a coach with the Pacers. I think it was July 13th, to be exact," Shaw said. "I've never had a problem with Mike Brown, the hiring of Mike Brown or anything like that. My only issue was the way I found out and how that was handled, but I understand the nature of the business. I've been in the business a long time. So, in terms of moving on, the toughest part was packing up the family and the house and finding a school for the kids and all that kind of stuff. Other than that, everything was fine."

Shaw was not informed of Brown's hiring personally by anyone in the Lakers' organization, instead first hearing the news from a reporter.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu