New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

Thanks Phil

anytime, steve. it's good to know that brian has a job. the guy has an in depth knowledge on the style of phil jackson and pretty soon, he's gonna be his own man in some team, like the clippers or the knicks. :)

saw him a a couple of weeks ago on his program with the gang, hmmm, didn't notice his that lean. i should take a look again. he shouldn't sit beside shaq then.:D

Lakers finally prevail over the Clipps

It was a pretty good game. Gasol finally looked good

FWIW, as of today OKC Thunder have the best record in the league and Lakers are 8th in the West

Clipps looked real good even in their loss

http://tracking.si.com/2012/01/26/dwight-howard-says-he-would-consider-playing-for-the-celtics/

Dwight Howard Says He Would Consider Playing For The Celtics
Boston Celtics, Dwight Howard, NBA, Orlando Magic | Comments
Decrease font
Enlarge font

Orlando Magic star center Dwight Howard says he would consider playing for the Boston Celtics according to the Boston Herald.

“Always. Always,” Howard said to the Herald Reporter, when asked if he would answer a call from the Celtics in free-agency. “I’d always listen to a team like that.”

“They have the championship mentality,” Howard went on to say. “It means a lot. Like I said, I like the team. They play hard and they go after it, and that’s what I like.”

Howard has been subject of numerous trade rumors as he will become an unrestricted free agent after this season. Despite Orlando’s strong start to the 2011-12 season, Howard has expressed his dissatisfaction in the Magic’s ability to put together a championship caliber team.

So far this season, Howard is averaging 19.7 points, 15.6 rebounds, and 2.2 blocks per game. The Magic (12-5) are second in the Southeast Division behind the Miami Heat.

Lakers finally prevail over the Clipps

It was a pretty good game. Gasol finally looked good

FWIW, as of today OKC Thunder have the best record in the league and Lakers are 8th in the West

Clipps looked real good even in their loss

I missed that game, and checking the box scores I see one Andrew Goudelock whom I never heard of before. Scoring 14 points with 2 three's. Could be an interesting guy for the Lakers.

I missed that game, and checking the box scores I see one Andrew Goudelock whom I never heard of before. Scoring 14 points with 2 three's. Could be an interesting guy for the Lakers.

He's a young point guard and looked quite good. Seems a good ball handler

He's a young point guard and looked quite good. Seems a good ball handler

The Celtics, in tonight's game at ORL, showed exactly a replica of a young point guard ala Goudelock, unknown basically, who was drafted in the 2nd round too. Name's E'Twaun Moore, and he burned the Magic with 4-4 from the 3 pt area and a few more FG for 16 points. C's made an incredible comeback to edge the Magic at home. Time for Dwight to ponder on his future some more. :)

And how bout those monster dunks of Blake against Memphis. Lightning quickness plus super power plus incredible elevation. The best thing is unlike other forwards, he doesn't have to practice those layups and short stabs. He just dunks them for a higher FG percentage. :)

to all you New Yorkers....

what's wrong with the Knicks?

How long will D'Antoni last

Rumors continue to swirl about them breaking up the team and Amare to Orlando for Howard

Seems Melo and Amare are worse off than D'Wayde and LeBron

How about the other way around? Imagine an Orlando team with Jameer feeding Melo and Howard manning the middle. Who could they give up? Richardson and Hedo? Heck I'd do that. Assuming there were no contract problems that is.

to all you New Yorkers....

what's wrong with the Knicks?

How long will D'Antoni last

Rumors continue to swirl about them breaking up the team and Amare to Orlando for Howard

Seems Melo and Amare are worse off than D'Wayde and LeBron

Imo, the main thing that is wrong with the Knicks is D'Antoni. You'd think that he would bring his team to higher grounds when they got rid of Nate Robinson and then got Melo and Chandler. But problem is, the got rid of their PG with championship pedigree in Chauncey Billups and now a rookie is running the show. Result is a worse record than Cleveland today. Somebody was telling me there are whispers that the Knicks want to yank out Phil Jackson from retirement. The task will be challenging for PJ. :)

Somebody was telling me there are whispers that the Knicks want to yank out Phil Jackson from retirement. The task will be challenging for PJ.

would that be killer or what?? I bet they could make Phil an offer that he couldn't refuse. Bring in Brian Shaw as his assistant and heir to the throne...Money talks, you know what walks :)

would that be killer or what?? I bet they could make Phil an offer that he couldn't refuse. Bring in Brian Shaw as his assistant and heir to the throne...Money talks, you know what walks :)

Yeah, plus the lure of telling Phil to bring back his OWN glory NY playing days. Plus telling PJ to do it to rekindle the memory of his old coach Red Holzman. Boy, the guy might just walk in, with bigger money of course. After all, the Knicks were crazy enough to pay Isaiah Thomas so much and to pay him further after he was fired as a 'consultant'.

The Energy of New York Still Seduces Jackson
Chang W. Lee/The New York Times

The 66-year-old Phil Jackson, at right above, last February during his last trip to Madison Square Garden as the coach of the Lakers.
By MARK HEISLER
Published: January 21, 2012

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. — Every time Phil Jackson thinks the winter of his career is finally here, he awakens to find it is Indian summer and someone is luring him back to coaching. Elusive as Jackson may be at 66, the hunt continues. With 11 N.B.A. titles, he will not reach the end without saying no to at least a few more teams.

Off the Dribble
Chang W. Lee/The New York Times

For Phil Jackson, living in Manhattan in the 1960s altered the course of his life.

Indeed, with the Knicks slouching under .500 and Coach Mike D’Antoni’s offense having gone missing since Carmelo Anthony arrived, Jackson’s name resounds louder and louder in New York.

How could it not? The city remains so special to Jackson that his girlfriend, Jeanie Buss, the daughter of the Los Angeles Lakers’ owner, is always wondering whether he will end his career where it started in the 1960s, when he was the Knicks’ resident hippie. And, she is quick to note, there are hourly nonstops between the two coasts.

But all that will matter only if Jackson decides he does want to sit on the bench again, despite his age and his aches and pains. He has always wanted to make the break from coaching and, after two tries, has never been happier than he now is in retirement No. 3. Here, the sky is blue, the temperature is in the 60s and the beach is five blocks from the 10-table bistro where he ate lunch Thursday.

“I have no desire to coach,” he said. “You never say never, right? I mean, there’s always something that might change my mind — but I just don’t see it.

“Without a doubt, New York is special,” he continued in a vein a little more encouraging for Knicks fans. “Why wouldn’t it be? When I was there, it was one of the greatest times to be in New York. I mean, the Mets, Jets and Knicks won championships all in one year.”

For Jackson, a young man from the high plains who was breaking away from the theology of his evangelical parents, living in Chelsea, adjacent to Greenwich Village, changed his life.

Improbably, Jackson also became Coach Red Holzman’s longest-serving disciple, but that was then and this is another millennium and another Knicks organization, one nowhere near as good as the one he knew.

Still, Jackson pays attention. “Now I enjoy listening to Knick broadcasts because of Walt,” Jackson said, referring to Walt Frazier. “I get a kick out of that. He was one of my teammates. He used to study the dictionary.

“Bill Bradley is back there. There are a lot of friends I have that are New Yorkers, so there’s a real sense that I enjoy seeing people in the time I’m there.”

Nevertheless, Jackson has passed up two chances to return to the team he helped make a champion as a player.

In 1998, after Jackson had left the Chicago Bulls with six titles, Dave Checketts, then the Madison Square Garden president, approached Jackson when he was in town for Holzman’s funeral. And in 2005, Isiah Thomas, then the Knicks’ president, flew here to talk to him.

In both instances, Jackson chose the Lakers over the Knicks, winning three titles the first time he picked Los Angeles and, to his surprise, capturing two more in the second go-round. Jackson has said that he thought he would return to coaching after leaving the Bulls in 1998 and taking a one-year sabbatical, but that his 2004 retirement was supposed to be for real.

Instead, after he walked away following the 2003-4 season, time hung heavily on his hands. In a telling anecdote, Buss said that Jackson, who had always disliked being bothered by fans in restaurants, now seemed O.K. with all the attention.

Soon enough, he was back coaching, although in retrospect, just about everything connected with Jackson’s second stint with the Lakers was surprising, from his being invited back in the first place to winning a record 10th championship and then an 11th.

It was not easy. There was his book — “The Last Season” — about the 2003-4 campaign that was critical of Kobe Bryant. And Shaquille O’Neal had been traded to Miami. But Jackson is Jackson, known as the Zen master, and by the summer of 2007, when Bryant demanded to be traded and excoriated the Lakers’ owner, Jerry Buss, it was Jackson who was the last link between the team and its star player.

Given permission to talk to other teams, Bryant missed two days of practice. Jackson told his players they would just have to wait to see what happened.

Bryant chose to stay put, and the Lakers wound up in the N.B.A. finals that season, where they were upended by Boston. But they beat Orlando the next year to give Jackson the 10th title, which broke his tie with Red Auerbach, then added his 11th, against the Celtics, a year later.

Phil Jackson may also want to stay put.
In his NBA stellar coaching carreer he has had the luxury of two of the best-ever players ... MJ and Kobe and the supporting cast in these runs were not shabby either: Shaq, Pippen, etc ... NY doesn't have that level of talent. If he moves to NY..The Knicks will improve. With the Heat and Bulls poised to wreck the East for a few more years ... I am not sure he'll be able to repeat ... winning it all just because of Jackson? .. Not sure .. They need someone to run the show , they have disposed of their PGS.. Give them a Rajon Rondo, CHRIS Paul , Devon WIlliams or Derrick Rose and you would have a dangerous team. With their current roster and their poor ball handling? With both stars usually waiting for the ball to be fed to them? Unlikely... Jackson or not...

Well, luring Phil Jackson would be a first step. Then trade for a good veteran guard as Frantz mentioned. They can then make a good showing in the playoffs.

Then Knicks were in limbo too before the Pat Riley era. And it was centered on Patrick Ewing. Riley took hold of a team that had a CBA guard name John Starks, 3rd round pick Anthony Mason, and a few journeymen to turn around the team with a losing record the year before to a 50/60 win season and ultimately to the Finals. The Knicks can have that again. but they gotta have another coach to do it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu